News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When buying a used car in the USA...

Started by merithyn, February 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

... what is the most amount you'd pay over Kelley Blue Book value?

1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-20%
>20%
Zero over - they get book value or they get nothing

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.

Their title is void, but seems like they should have some remedy in contract, though, right?  Like recission due to failure of consideration or mutual mistake as to the subject matter of the contract.  I don't see how they can still be on the hook for the loan.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

There's no option in the poll for "I expect to pay less than kbb". So I didn't vote.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on February 07, 2013, 05:19:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2013, 04:24:36 PM
What's the mpg on these things ?

Crap on the Liberty (23 highway/15 city), but 28/23 on the Hyundai.

:thumbsup:

Funny historically I used to average about 35mpg (imperial) across a range of crap British and European cars.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Jeep Liberty? :x

I've heard nothing but bad things about those.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on February 07, 2013, 06:36:52 PM
Jeep Liberty? :x

I've heard nothing but bad things about those.

Yeah, reading some of the online reviews is hilarious; I've had my windows repaired 14 times and they still fall out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on February 07, 2013, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2013, 03:07:18 PM
Oh god, don't buy an old American car. Unless its like 1970's old or a pickup.

What are the details meri?

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 w/ 50,500 miles

Asking $14,995; offering it for $13,165

Found a 2007 Hyundai Tuscon that I like better, anyway.

Just looking at the Carmax closest to you (Tinly Park, IL, if I am correct) has comparable Jeep Libertys for under $12k (with a bit more mileage though).  And that's at a no-haggle Carmax.

But I'd take their older Honda CR-V over Jeep/Chrysler junk.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 07, 2013, 04:00:58 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2013, 03:07:18 PM
Oh god, don't buy an old American car. Unless its like 1970's old or a pickup.

What are the details meri?

Everything I've read about car quality states that in the last 15 years or so American makers have closed the quality gap and buyers are in effect paying an unwarranted premium for non-American brands.

15 years? for Ford maybe. GM is 6 to 8 years & Chrysler still isn't there.

I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra, it has fabulous mpg. 28 in winter, around 40 in summer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 07, 2013, 07:30:00 PM
Just looking at the Carmax closest to you (Tinly Park, IL, if I am correct) has comparable Jeep Libertys for under $12k (with a bit more mileage though).  And that's at a no-haggle Carmax.

But I'd take their older Honda CR-V over Jeep/Chrysler junk.

:lol:

Tinley Park is about 2.5 hours north of us. :D It may be the closest Carmax, though.

We told them no on the Jeep. Going to look at the Hyundai on Wednesday.

merithyn

We haz new-ish car. :)

We ended up going with a 2009 PT Cruiser with 53,500 miles for ~$9500. That's below KBB and Edmond's value, and it's a nice, clean car. We also went to a different dealer, and I'm so glad we did. The sleaze factor was noticeably lower where we bought the car than the other place. Plus, the salesman gave me a dozen red roses for buying the car. :wub:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on February 12, 2013, 11:43:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 12, 2013, 11:39:30 PM
2009 PT Cruiser

:bleeding:

Meh. It has enough room for the family, gets decent gas mileage, and was relatively cheap. You don't have to drive it, so I say meh to you. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 12:06:16 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 12, 2013, 11:43:29 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 12, 2013, 11:39:30 PM
2009 PT Cruiser

:bleeding:

Meh. It has enough room for the family, gets decent gas mileage, and was relatively cheap. You don't have to drive it, so I say meh to you. :P

Then your image as a middle aged lesbian will be secure.

PRC

Hard to believe you bought a PT Loser.  Fail.

LaCroix

Quote from: merithyn on February 12, 2013, 11:39:30 PMThe sleaze factor was noticeably lower where we bought the car than the other place.

Quote from: merithynPlus, the salesman gave me a dozen red roses for buying the car. :wub:

:hmm: :D