News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When buying a used car in the USA...

Started by merithyn, February 07, 2013, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

... what is the most amount you'd pay over Kelley Blue Book value?

1-5%
6-10%
11-15%
16-20%
>20%
Zero over - they get book value or they get nothing

Caliga

@ meri
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or anything, but just to give you honest feedback I've heard from others (and obviously my comment about how it looks stupid is not exactly objective.  :sleep: )
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 11:50:32 AM
She does? Didn't know.

We bought it because it fit our criteria, not because we set out to buy one. It works, it's the right price, and it has the right amount of room. *shrugs* It's a car, for heaven's sake, not a child.

It can be. It could end up costing you thousands upon thousands of dollars.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 11:52:16 AM
Are you thinking about dying your hair red?  :ph34r:

:lol:

I was born with red hair. :contract:

B is strawberry, I'm auburn.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

She already considers her brown hair red.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on February 13, 2013, 11:52:52 AM
@ meri
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or anything, but just to give you honest feedback I've heard from others (and obviously my comment about how it looks stupid is not exactly objective.  :sleep: )

My feelings aren't hurt. We just looked it up last night and knew otherwise. Why would I care what others think of the car that I drive? :huh:

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2013, 11:53:27 AM

Not when you buy a warranty with the car. Lemons terrify me. Well worth the cost for the warranty.

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 11:57:50 AM
Quote from: Caliga on February 13, 2013, 11:52:52 AM
@ meri

My feelings aren't hurt. We just looked it up last night and knew otherwise. Why would I care what others think of the car that I drive? :huh:

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 13, 2013, 11:53:27 AM

Not when you buy a warranty with the car. Lemons terrify me. Well worth the cost for the warranty.

1st law of the Internet: everybody thinks they know better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 13, 2013, 11:55:23 AM

She already considers her brown hair red.  :P

Heh. Anyone who sees my hair in sunlight doesn't question that it's red. I dye it more brown now, anyway, to get rid of the gray. The brown lasts longer. Still looks red in sunlight, but not as bright as it used to be.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on February 13, 2013, 11:19:31 AM
Quote from: Scipio on February 13, 2013, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
Blue Book is just a guide and is going to vary a lot regionally.

If you think they're asking too much, shop around and look for comparables.  That'll be more helpful to you than pointing to blue book.

And hey, something to watch out for.  I have a file recently where people were stealing vehicles, getting a VIN number for a valid vehicle, then re-VINning the stolen vehicle with a new, cloned VIN.  I have a couple of innocent buyers who took out loans for their trucks, only to have the vehicle seized from them as stolen property and still be stuck paying the loan.
That last problem's not a risk here.  UCC and MVTA FTW.

How is that not a risk?

You can do the responsible thing and get a search of the VIN, but because the VIN has been cloned the search comes back as clean.

I'm not sure because I'm traditionally weak on the UCC, but if the car is stolen, I think title is void all down the chain, regardless of intent or whether you got it from an innocent merchant.

I'd like Scip to elaborate on this as well.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 12:11:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 12:06:49 PM
Heh. Anyone who sees my hair in sunlight doesn't question that it's red.

:zipped:

Dude, I've been dying my hair brown for the last decade or longer. You couldn't have seen it when it was red. Well, unless you happened to catch me when I dyed it red on the odd occasion. My hair hasn't been it's natural color in ages! :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on February 13, 2013, 12:19:33 PM
Dude, I've been dying my hair brown for the last decade or longer. You couldn't have seen it when it was red. Well, unless you happened to catch me when I dyed it red on the odd occasion. My hair hasn't been it's natural color in ages! :lol:

Your story keeps changing, stalker girl.

Have you already ordered your jester hat? 

Come to think of it, which of you two got their boy toy first?  :hmm:

Zanza

I had a PT cruiser as a rental car once. I remember it having terrible acceleration and a turning circle wider than that of a big truck.

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on February 13, 2013, 12:40:08 PM
I had a PT cruiser as a rental car once. I remember it having terrible acceleration and a turning circle wider than that of a big truck.

Ditto.  That thing was an absolute turd to drive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on February 13, 2013, 12:40:08 PM

Yeah, but you're a MB paid shill.  :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 12:24:04 PM
Your story keeps changing, stalker girl.

Have you already ordered your jester hat? 

You'll know when she's finally assumed Brazen's identity when her defense industry articles refer to "drone thingies".