It's Rove and Co. vs. Tea Party: Let the GOP civil war begin

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2013, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on February 06, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2013, 10:08:07 PM
Gays, like professional women, or any particular demographic, even blacks, are not part of the Democratic base--poor people and people who understand that stability requires intense government intervention in the economy are.  Everyone else can be turned.  That was my point made before: I hope the GOP doesn't realize this and continues to rely on their base instead of rejecting it and reinventing themselves ideologically as what they've practically come to be, the party of the rich and the special snowflakes who think they can be.
See, but if you think of it like that, then there's no such thing as a base, because anybody can be turned by slight adjustments in policy.  Remember back when the Democratic base was the Klan?

Of course that's true. People identify with political parties for ideological reasons. If the party changes ideology, the followers will leave. It's not like a football team.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 06, 2013, 12:31:51 PM
Gays, like professional women, or any particular demographic, even blacks, are not part of the Democratic base--poor people and people who understand that stability requires intense government intervention in the economy are.  Everyone else can be turned.  That was my point made before: I hope the GOP doesn't realize this and continues to rely on their base instead of rejecting it and reinventing themselves ideologically as what they've practically come to be, the party of the rich and the special snowflakes who think they can be.
See, but if you think of it like that, then there's no such thing as a base, because anybody can be turned by slight adjustments in policy.  Remember back when the Democratic base was the Klan?

Of course that's true. People identify with political parties for ideological reasons. If the party changes ideology, the followers will leave. It's not like a football team.

Except that's not always true.  You still find people who vote either Democratic or Republican 'cause that the way their daddy and granddaddy voted. 

Of course, people like that don't really have to be accounted for by political strategists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2013, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
What about the racists?

Can be a part of either party's base.  Bigoted union members and bigoted blacks for example are likely to be part of the Democratic base.  Or they could very well be swing voters or apoltical.

I was kinda thinking like this this guy.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdjWLBT0DoE
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2013, 03:30:33 AM
That's true. Gays will be first to jump ship the moment Republicans start seeing gay marriage as fait accompli and focus on being a party of low taxes.
I've yet to see any evidence of this, present company excepted :P

On the other hand there's plenty of examples of minority groups continuing to vote Labour/Democrats despite moving up the income scale and their opponents doing their best (for the most part) to ditch their bigoted reputations.

QuoteThey need a Cameron.
They need a Blair/Clinton. Not a PR man.

QuoteThe former is still socially conservative, but presents a more modern, open, pro-economy focus and the latter is more religious social conservative with a mistrust of big business.
Not so in the UK. UKIP aren't terribly religious and they're very anti-tax, anti-regulation, anti-intervention, pro-business. They think the banks should just be left alone, for example. One of the main (coherent) arguments of Eurosceptic Tories and UKIPers is that the EU is too protectionist and regulatory and that it restricts British businesses and doesn't allow the UK to trade freely with countries like India and China.

Of course the idea that the UK could be a free-trading Singapore of the North Sea is rather implausible given both parties' fiercely anti-immigration views.

QuoteI thought the Tea Party is pretty mistrustful of big business. 
God, I wish. I'd love the Tea Party if they'd become properly populist and raged against 'too big to fail' corporatist stitch ups whether in banking or Solyndra. Alas, no.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 06, 2013, 12:31:51 PM

Indeed.  The Dems basically dumped the Klan/Southern Democrats, who hadn't really been the base since the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

My definition is based on the premise of "who would be the last to leave" or "who would be the hardest to cleave away"?  Arguably this is still the rich for the Republicans--who were definitely the base of the Repubs until the fracture of the Democratic party in the 1960s--but the formerly southern-style Democrat, currently Tea Party crowd has had their wires crossed and is today as fiercely against liberal economic intervention (against their own interests usually, cutting off their white noses to spite a black face or two) as it is for conservative social intervention.

But you could argue that the Republican base is and always has been wealthy interests who would seek to use the government for their own ends, whether those ends be protection of their nascent industries, as in the late 19th century, free recruitment of global labor, as it is now, or destroying any regulation that would send the bill for their business' externalities back to them, as it has ever been.   But the Democratic base is tax-and-spend liberals, or more generally economic interventionists, and has been since William Jennings Bryan (though thankfully they've become a lot more sophisticated since him).

And I don't know what Yi means when "statists" (whom he equates with economic interventionists) don't exist outside think tanks.  Do I work at a think tank?  Does Joan or CdM?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2013, 08:00:36 PM
Indeed.  The Dems basically dumped the Klan/Southern Democrats, who hadn't really been the base since the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

Think you got that backdated by about 100 years.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on February 06, 2013, 10:47:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 06, 2013, 08:00:36 PM

Think you got that backdated by about 100 years.

You think?  Democrats on the national level didn't seem to give them much shrift.  They did what they wanted in their shitty states and generally benefited from Dem interventionism, but Democratic policy at the national level was definitely indifferent or inimical to their "regional" interests, e.g. Truman's integrating the armed forces and the Roosevelt and Kennedy appointments to the Warren Court that formed Warren's majority in major "judicially activist" decisions.  If KlanDems were their base, they do not appear to be very beholden to them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Didn't Woodrow Wilson segregate the federal governent because of his love of racial hatred?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Yeah, I think so.

1912 is pretty shortly after the Civil War. -_-
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 12:39:22 AM
Yeah, I think so.

1912 is pretty shortly after the Civil War. -_-
It really isn't.  You're a racist for loving your party.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on February 07, 2013, 12:36:26 AM
Didn't Woodrow Wilson segregate the federal governent because of his love of racial hatred?

Yeah the thing Ide is missing is the New Deal coalition when Blacks joined the KKK in the Dem base...which is pretty weird but it just shows the ridiculous power of that coalition.  For decades it was unbeatable if it could somehow keep its internal contradictions in check.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

The point is KlanDems were marginalized nationally, splintered, and began voting GOP long before the present day.  A base that not only leaves but is practically pushed out isn't much of a base.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on February 07, 2013, 12:52:17 AM
The point is KlanDems were marginalized nationally, splintered, and began voting GOP long before the present day.  A base that not only leaves but is practically pushed out isn't much of a base.

They weren't marginalized, they were a powerful force.  The Dems tried to hold onto them as long as they could, heck there were a few hanging around into the 80s.  It was ridiculous how much Roosevelt went out of his way to assure them the US would stay racist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."