It's Rove and Co. vs. Tea Party: Let the GOP civil war begin

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2013, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
What about the racists?

Can be a part of either party's base.  Bigoted union members and bigoted blacks for example are likely to be part of the Democratic base.  Or they could very well be swing voters or apoltical.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2013, 10:47:39 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2013, 10:43:48 AM
What about the racists?

Can be a part of either party's base.  Bigoted union members and bigoted blacks for example are likely to be part of the Democratic base.  Or they could very well be swing voters or apoltical.
Yeah, sure, keep telling yourself that.  Lots of people are racist, but the ones willing to act politically on their bigotry tend to find one party a lot more inviting than the other party.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 06, 2013, 10:49:32 AM
Yeah, sure, keep telling yourself that.  Lots of people are racist, but the ones willing to act politically on their bigotry tend to find one party a lot more inviting than the other party.

Please elaborate.  For example, what do you have in mind when you say some people are willing to act politically on their bigotry?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 06, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

Please elaborate.  For example, what do you have in mind when you say some people are willing to act politically on their bigotry?

Not what, whom.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

For example, what do you have in mind when you say some people are willing to act politically on their bigotry?

That black people will always vote for black people in order to get back at The Man?

Valmy

I don't know.  If you are bigoted against WASPs you probably are not going to be a Republican.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 10:55:23 AM
For example, what do you have in mind when you say some people are willing to act politically on their bigotry?

That black people will always vote for black people in order to get back at The Man?

No, they do that because of identity politics, which is much worse.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2013, 10:08:07 PM
Gays, like professional women, or any particular demographic, even blacks, are not part of the Democratic base--poor people and people who understand that stability requires intense government intervention in the economy are.  Everyone else can be turned.  That was my point made before: I hope the GOP doesn't realize this and continues to rely on their base instead of rejecting it and reinventing themselves ideologically as what they've practically come to be, the party of the rich and the special snowflakes who think they can be.
See, but if you think of it like that, then there's no such thing as a base, because anybody can be turned by slight adjustments in policy.  Remember back when the Democratic base was the Klan?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 06, 2013, 10:56:29 AM

So like white rich people and white people who aren't rich but are conned into believing white rich people like them anyway.

garbon

Well I'm not sure it is unreasonable to think a black president might be more sympathetic to the issues of black voters if only because he(she!) has had experience with being a minority.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 11:01:02 AM
So like white rich people and white people who aren't rich but are conned into believing white rich people like them anyway.
But isn't that what politics is all about in this day and age?  Politicians trick people that they hate into voting for them everywhere, in every party in the world. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 11:01:02 AM

Usually, I'm trying to con rich white people into liking me. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2013, 11:12:18 AM
Usually, I'm trying to con rich white people into liking me. ;)

That's because you're a saucy little sex minx.  Doesn't count.

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2013, 05:19:56 AM
A party based on religious social conservatism with a mistrust of big business(not sure how viable this is in US or other predominately Protestant nations) might even go into coalition with the establishment Democrats from time to time.

Heck, if all Democrats were like Jimmy Carter, that would be a pretty good description of the Democratic party to begin with.