It's Rove and Co. vs. Tea Party: Let the GOP civil war begin

Started by jimmy olsen, February 04, 2013, 10:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on February 05, 2013, 03:41:33 PM
I have a question:  Is the "establishment" materially different from the "tea party"?  I mean ideologically.  Bobby Jindal came out two weeks ago with a speech about how the GOP needs to stop being the "stupid" party.  This meant, they need to stop saying stupid things that are repellant to voters.  However he also said that he didn't want the Republican party to really change it's platform or water down it's ideas.  These seems like an impossible task, stupid statements naturally flow from stupid policies and ideas.  So long as they hold to the same beliefs people are going to articulate them.  Just giving the car a new paint job won't help a car much if it has a cracked engine block.

Jindl and Rove probably don't have you in mind as the prototypical swing voter.

derspiess

To you they might as well be the same, Raz.  You despise anyone with an R next to his name.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

I wonder if they'll turn to a strategy of simply not representing their base at all.  This is what Democrats have done, and till now it has worked, as the strength of the enemy, however inexplicable, has precluded the possibility of splintering or staying home, even while the Dems as an establishment have moved badly rightward.  On the other hand, the GOP base has been a lot more recalcitrant and unwilling to entertain strategic thinking, which is why they've encouraged if not dictated policies that so damage the Republican Party with centertards.  Splintering or staying home may be a much more attractive option for the ideologically pure.  This threat may keep the GOP dangling over the extreme right edge for years to come, and will continue to push normal people left.

And thank God, because a more moderated Republican Party, shorn of their racist-dominionist wing, is unbelievably dangerous to America, since Americans might have been stupid enough to vote for monsters like Romney and Ryan if they came bearing only tidings of economic catastrophe and not the message of Klansmen and abortion clinic bombers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2013, 04:05:35 PM
To you they might as well be the same, Raz.  You despise anyone with an R next to his name.

Not true, but irrelevant.  The reason why Tod Akin or Mitt Romney said a dumb things is because they believe dumb things.  So long as people believe those things they are going to say them.  The GOP needs a Clinton figure to sideline the kooks and bring the party closer to the center.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2013, 04:13:20 PM
I wonder if they'll turn to a strategy of simply not representing their base at all.  This is what Democrats have done, and till now it has worked, as the strength of the enemy, however inexplicable, has precluded the possibility of splintering or staying home, even while the Dems as an establishment have moved badly rightward.  On the other hand, the GOP base has been a lot more recalcitrant and unwilling to entertain strategic thinking, which is why they've encouraged if not dictated policies that so damage the Republican Party with centertards.  Splintering or staying home may be a much more attractive option for the ideologically pure.  This threat may keep the GOP dangling over the extreme right edge for years to come, and will continue to push normal people left.

And thank God, because a more moderated Republican Party, shorn of their racist-dominionist wing, is unbelievably dangerous to America, since Americans might have been stupid enough to vote for monsters like Romney and Ryan if they came bearing only tidings of economic catastrophe and not the message of Klansmen and abortion clinic bombers.

Wow.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Whore pills for some, miniature American flags for others. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on February 05, 2013, 04:13:20 PM

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2013, 04:23:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2013, 04:21:38 PM
Wow.

Wow?  Did he say something you were surprised he would say there? :hmm:

No but just a reminder of how far off the reservation he is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2013, 04:32:27 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2013, 04:30:53 PM
peaceniks.

They are a pretty crap peace party.

And the GOP is a pretty crap "small government" party, but that is still their base.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2013, 04:27:05 PM
Out of interest Ide, who are the Dems base?

Tax-and-spend liberals.

Also, for better or worse, crypto-isolationists.

I'll admit to baiting a little bit with that. :D  But other than provocative characterization, what I said was pretty accurate.  The Dems have moved to a position where they are a centrist party with a disaffected left base from which they can nonetheless claim loyalty; the GOP is a rightist party with a base that is in large part obviously insane from which they have not so far escaped.
Kinemalogue