9 (24.3%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
How ironic it had to end with decapetation.

Actually it ended when the Capetian line failed and the Bourbons took over.

Sorry.  :(

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 07:15:10 PM
In the case of the Australian aborigines, my point was the moment Europeans started living on Australia their genes would have spread through those populations rapidly, even to aborigines who did not directly interact with Europeans. I wasn't saying prior to European exploration/colonization of Australia, that aborigines had outside contact. I don't know if they did or don't, I don't know much about that part of the world's history. I do know that in the few hundred years since contact more than enough generations have passed for the aborigines to share a common ancestor with everyone else, dating back no further than 5-15,000 years.

Ah, I see what you are getting at.  Still it's impossible to prove considering there are still "uncontacted" peoples in the world, and I don't know if every aborigine has a European ancestor.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 07:45:46 PM

Damn it, those bastards ruined a perfectly bad pun.  :mad:

Caliga

Quote from: PJL on February 04, 2013, 04:54:44 PM
Even in Britain it is reckoned that 80% of the population has some royal ancestry (legitimate or otherwise) and that only after a few hundred years.
I'm potentially descended from the Plantagenets (via a line of bastardy) myself. :cool:

I've never actually had time to verify all of the links in the ancestral chain, but I'm 90% sure I'm descended via my mother's mother from the family Scott of Scott's Hall.
That family connects to the Plantagenet dynasty via Sir Edmund Scott (my 10th great grandfather, who was also a direct descendant of John Balliol)'s mother Margaret Pigot, whose 6th great grandfather was William de Burgh, Earl of Ulster, who claimed his grandmother was Joan of Acre, daughter of Edward Longshanks.  I think the de Burgh connection to the Plantagenets is disputed, and I'm not 100% sure my Scott line is connected to Sir Edmund Scott.  I know for certain I'm directly descended from Benjamin Scott, who was one of the Quaker Commissioners that founded West New Jersey.

Of course, all of this assumes that none of the related chicks got pregnant out of wedlock and had someone's kid other than their husband's.... and someplace in there between me and Longshanks there is a bastard descent but I don't recall exactly where, and the chain is so long it would take me a while to go back and figure it out.

Anyway, I have no reason to think my genealogy is particularly remarkable and from doing collaborative genealogy research I know there are *tons* of people out there in the US who are descended from Benjamin Scott and therefore potentially from the Plantagenets as well.

Caliga

Another anecdote: on my Pennsylvania Dutch side, I had a great-great-great-great-great grandfather named Peter Sheibley (1742-1823) who was a Swiss immigrant to Pennsylvania, fought in the Revolution, etc.  He had two wives, twenty children, and 89 grandchildren.  Today he has at least 1,000 living direct descendants.:wacko:

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2013, 08:04:27 PM
Anyway, I have no reason to think my genealogy is particularly remarkable and from doing collaborative genealogy research I know there are *tons* of people out there in the US who are descended from Benjamin Scott and therefore potentially from the Plantagenets as well.

I don't think it is remarkable but I just told you a long-winded story about it? :unsure: :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

I was trying to back up his point about a huge proportion of English folks being partly of noble descent with an anecdote of my own. :sleep:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2013, 07:12:53 PM

As to the Australians I think you are looking at it backwards.  The way you phrased it, people disagreeing with you would have to prove a negative.  There is very little evidence that native Australians had much contact with anyone before the Europeans showed up.  There may have been some trade in the north, and with Maori but evidence is fairly weak.  Considering that the Australians lived in myrad bands and were probably the most primitive society on Earth at the time when they met Europeans indicates that what ever contact that some bands had with outsiders was minimal.
Dingos arrived within the last 10,000 years, so someone brought them with them.

Also, there may have been gene flow from India 4,320 years ago.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2013/01/the-voyage-of-krishna-crusoe/#.URBpJVLcCF8
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 07:45:46 PM

But the Bourbons were Capetian...just like how the House of Valois (also Capetians) took over in the 14th Century.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2013, 09:51:54 AM
York. A full Anglican-Catholic state funeral in the North would be amazing.

This.  York was Richard's powerbase due to his years serving in the north under his brother and living in Middleham Castle as a youth.  I believe he also planned to be buried there. 

"'King Richard, late mercifully reigning over us, was through great treason . . . piteously slain and murdered, to the great heaviness of this city,' reported the mayor's serjeant of the mace a day after Richard's death at the Battle of Bosworth on August 22, 1485."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 09:07:18 PM

Dingos were not domesticated.  Why do you think they started out as domesticated animals?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2013, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 09:07:18 PM

Dingos were not domesticated.  Why do you think they started out as domesticated animals?

How could a large placental land mammal possibly get past the Wallace line without humans transporting them. :huh:

All evidence points to them being a descendent of the domestic dog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo#Distribution_in_the_past
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2013, 07:56:43 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 07:15:10 PM
In the case of the Australian aborigines, my point was the moment Europeans started living on Australia their genes would have spread through those populations rapidly, even to aborigines who did not directly interact with Europeans. I wasn't saying prior to European exploration/colonization of Australia, that aborigines had outside contact. I don't know if they did or don't, I don't know much about that part of the world's history. I do know that in the few hundred years since contact more than enough generations have passed for the aborigines to share a common ancestor with everyone else, dating back no further than 5-15,000 years.

Ah, I see what you are getting at.  Still it's impossible to prove considering there are still "uncontacted" peoples in the world, and I don't know if every aborigine has a European ancestor.

They don't have to all have an European ancestor, remember the range for latest common ancestor is 15,000 to 5,000, there are room for all kinds of scenarios, like every European having a central Asian ancestor that is common to every aborigine and who died 12,000 years ago.