"American Sniper" Chris Kyle shot dead at shooting range

Started by Syt, February 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

And if they didn't know they are too stupid to live.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 03:35:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 03:22:21 PM
Well I'm sure you're balanced and well-reasoned arguments will show them the error of their ways. :)

I'm in.  Anyone who develops PTSD fighting a war in a country other than their own deserves to be shot. Unless they're drafted I think.  :)

You are probably trolling but I agree.

OttoVonBismarck

This is hilarious. I think Marti must have some sort of mental illness, he's obviously high functioning enough to work and be part of society but these random emotional outbursts tell the tale.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 03:50:57 PM
This is hilarious. I think Marti must have some sort of mental illness, he's obviously high functioning enough to work and be part of society but these random emotional outbursts tell the tale.

I think he's so fully invested in the victimhood paradigm that he feels no responsiblity to construct and operate by any sort of moral code.  Morality for Marty consists of identifying The Bad People and hoping bad things happen to them.

Razgovory

Yeah, he's certainly not right in the head.  I think he's seeing a doctor now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I don't think "internet troll" is listed in DSM-IV (or the upcoming V for that matter). :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 04:48:24 PM

I don't think "internet troll" is listed in DSM-IV (or the upcoming V for that matter). :hmm:

Most of the time I get the sense this is the true Marti and not merely a troll.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 04, 2013, 03:13:01 PM
Stay classy Marty. :)

Stay?  When has Marti ever been classy?  This latest attack of verbal diarrhea is what he is going to "stay" with, and it is certainly amusing enough that I hope he never changes.  Every forum needs a shit-flinging monkey, and he is a good one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

I agree BB, trolling is trolling and if that's what he's doing then oh well. I enjoy a troll now and again. But there are basic rules to trolling, and Marti's behavior suggests he's been trolling a long time or he's been unhinged a long time. If you're going to troll, and his opening post was clearly troll-like material, then if people take the bait you keep reeling them in. If they laugh at your obvious trolling and call you on it (as happened here), you go away or admit they've got you. Trolling is about pissing people off for entertainment, and while he got a few people riled up by and large the reaction his outburst got was derision and laughter. So then he segues into some weird half-made point about how it's moral to hope all psychopaths die, and that the military is evil and this board worships the military too much. You might be able to construct some argument using those general ideas, but if Marti wasn't trolling, and his follow up posts were his actual argument then he's an idiot. They had the depth and intellect of a fifteen year old's temper tantrum.

So that basically leaves us to conclude Marti is a troll, an idiot, or emotionally/mentally unstable. As much as Marti gets made fun of, I don't think he's stupid, so it just leaves options 1 and 2.

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 04, 2013, 06:14:45 PM
So that basically leaves us to conclude Marti is a troll, an idiot, or emotionally/mentally unstable. As much as Marti gets made fun of, I don't think he's stupid, so it just leaves options 1 and 2.
:hmm:

Martinus

I said it before, I do not troll per se. I simply treat the internet as an outlet for the aggressive side of my personality and to argue ideas that are probably not accepted by the majority - this is more often here than other places, as Languish is very Americanized, and American attitudes on many things are alien to me.

Anyways, it's good to see we turned another thread into a thread about me.  :)

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 04, 2013, 10:33:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 04, 2013, 10:22:15 AM

On top of that, I think military people (especially non-officers) are scum.
This seems odd, one would think you would hold those with more authority and responsibilities to a higher moral standard.

That's not about a different standard. I don't know about the US, but here officers generally are trained differently and come from different backgrounds/motivations, than ordinary soldiers - by extension they have different attitudes about what they do and why they do it. They are also smart, know the risks and rewards and as such have a realistic view of the whole situation.

Martinus

I suppose, my contempt for ordinary soldiers comes from the cognitive dissonance that is created by the society/government around them. In a sense, they are victims and dupes, often coming from poorer backgrounds and/or less mentally able people, who are tricked into risking their life and limb while fighting for interests that have very little to do with the safety of their own country; and then the society goes on to reinforce this trickery by treating the ones, who manage to luck out and survive, like some sort of heroes (with a corresponding wasteful spending of common resources), whereas their usefulness to the society is much lower than that of, say, doctors, teachers, or policemen.

If we made them realize instead that they are in fact dumb murder monkeys sent across the world to kill some brown people in the name of Uncle Petrodollar, perhaps less of them would join the military and instead do something productive and useful to the society with their lives.

So the whole hoax offends my sense of justice and fairness on several levels.

Martinus

Of course, I know very well that I would get exactly the same reaction on this board from spelling out my reasons like that and from posting a short "troll" about karma like I did originally, so why bother trying to explain?

Martinus

This is also a part of a broader problem which comes from the fact that there are certain jobs in the society that, arguably, need to be performed by someone, but which require a rather fucked up or seriously deluded mindset to perform. Other than soldiers, this includes professions like executioners, repo men, prison guards, defense attorneys, slaughterhouse workers, bail bondsmen and the like - essentially the moral equivalent of cesspit cleaners. In order to attract people to these jobs you have to create a sort of delusional ethos for them, so they do not feel all the time like pieces of shit.

Of course, the question is whether it is morally right to perpetrate such hoax in a society that, arguably, rests on the principle of letting free individuals make informed choices about their lives.