"American Sniper" Chris Kyle shot dead at shooting range

Started by Syt, February 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

But honestly Marti, don't you feel that you're worse?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2013, 12:05:25 PM
It's difficult to express one's ambivalence when one has 10 seconds of free time to post - that's why cheering someone's death was an approximation.

:lol: No it's not.  No sane person considers "he deserved to die" as any kind of approximation of "people in this line of work are held in unduly high regard." Not with 10 seconds to compose a post, not under any circumstances.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PRC

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2013, 05:14:26 AM

This goes for hunters (and that is why I consider hunting to be the pastime of scumbags)

Hunting is more humane than getting your meat from a factory farm.  It's sustainable and licenses are managed by Fish & Wildlife agencies.  Maybe you're thinking of big game hunters or safari hunters or something.

Neil

Quote from: PRC on February 05, 2013, 01:20:23 PM
This goes for hunters (and that is why I consider hunting to be the pastime of scumbags)
Hunting is more humane than getting your meat from a factory farm.  It's sustainable and licenses are managed by Fish & Wildlife agencies.  Maybe you're thinking of big game hunters or safari hunters or something.
Why would you think he's thinking at all?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

A lot of families in rural New England depend no bringing in a dear every now and again to have meat on the table. 
PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 05, 2013, 01:48:08 PM

A lot of families in rural New England depend no bringing in a dear every now and again to have meat on the table.

I hope this means they bring a loved one along to share a meal of meat with you and not the German variant of what that could mean.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2013, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on February 05, 2013, 01:48:08 PM

I hope this means they bring a loved one along to share a meal of meat with you and not the German variant of what that could mean.

It's rural New England.

Judging by H.P. Lovecraft's view of the place, it could go either way.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

PRC

Quote from: Neil on February 05, 2013, 01:41:21 PM
Why would you think he's thinking at all?

That's a great point!

OttoVonBismarck

And of course once Marti looks back and realizes no one took his troll seriously, he's trying to assert that he was making some nuanced argument. The problem is, even his nuanced argument is stupid. "I had to be a dick here because this is my outlet for it, and people respect the military too much!" This forum is by and large made up of people who have been heavily exposed to European forum posters since the late 1990s, which means Europeans shit-talking about the U.S. military is about as shocking as Elton John coming out as gay, and equally as un-interesting. Your argument is vapid and probably more embarrassing than if you had just left your original trolling post and not commented further. This isn't the High Road gun forums, no one here is a foaming at the mouth militarist who masturbates to open 1980s editions of Soldier of Fortune. You're just butthutt because you acted like an idiot and everyone laughed at you. That left you with a few options, you tried to do two classic ones that make it even worse: tried to clarify your position, then assert you don't care. The correct option would have been to just let your lead balloon lie on the ground.

PDH

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 05, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
no one here is a foaming at the mouth militarist who masturbates to open 1980s editions of Soldier of Fortune.

Speak for yourself.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 05, 2013, 06:08:51 PM
And of course once Marti looks back and realizes no one took his troll seriously, he's trying to assert that he was making some nuanced argument. The problem is, even his nuanced argument is stupid. "I had to be a dick here because this is my outlet for it, and people respect the military too much!" This forum is by and large made up of people who have been heavily exposed to European forum posters since the late 1990s, which means Europeans shit-talking about the U.S. military is about as shocking as Elton John coming out as gay, and equally as un-interesting. Your argument is vapid and probably more embarrassing than if you had just left your original trolling post and not commented further. This isn't the High Road gun forums, no one here is a foaming at the mouth militarist who masturbates to open 1980s editions of Soldier of Fortune. You're just butthutt because you acted like an idiot and everyone laughed at you. That left you with a few options, you tried to do two classic ones that make it even worse: tried to clarify your position, then assert you don't care. The correct option would have been to just let your lead balloon lie on the ground.

The fact that you describe it as "Europeans shit-talking about the U.S. military" exactly underlines what I was saying.

The fact that this forum's jingoistic flag-waving Yanks have been exposed to people who do not have their heads so deep in the military butts does not mean this changed your attitudes a bit - it just shows there is no point in arguing as you will always see this as "Europeans shit-talking about the U.S. military".

Ergo, since arguing with you does not change shit, perhaps seeing coffins of your young compatriots coming home will - so every time this happens, it's an occassion to celebrate, as this advances your collective illumination.

OttoVonBismarck

You understand repeating something really stupid doesn't make it a more forceful argument?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2013, 03:49:33 PM
It's rural New England.

Judging by H.P. Lovecraft's view of the place, it could go either way.  :hmm:

Judging from some of your stories, rural Ontario's not much different.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?