News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 13, 2013, 01:23:24 PM
Passport and ATM/credit are the only absolute essentials.

Exactly.

Well, and some sort of proof of your ticket may come in handy.

garbon

Well my bag got lost in Spain. Hopefully it'll make it to me in Marseille!

Also tried to tip my cabbie and he stared at me blankly so I rescinded the offer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

a great start!  :lol:  :hug:

Bizarre behavior by the cabbie, usually they jump at every penny you hand them.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 05:34:15 PM
I'm hoping to still make it out to England later this year. Got the vacation days allotted and have my free ticket to redeem on Virgin Atlantic. :hug:
:yeah: :bowler:

crazy canuck

Use the night you have in Hamburg before your work day to go out and see the Red Light District - it is something to see.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 04:48:56 PM
Use the night you have in Hamburg before your work day to go out and see the Red Light District - it is something to see.

:hmm:

Well I just found out that I'm going to be in at 3. So would it make sense to see in early eve or do I need to got at night, night? Had planned to go in opposite direction to St. Georg* but could always subway between (I'm in between both if I can read the map correctly).

*side note but interesting that wiki says this is where they have their annual Christopher Street Day parade. Even though Stonewall Inn is on Christopher never would have thought about have a parade for Christopher Street. Not the loveliest of streets in Manhattan. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2013, 05:10:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 04:48:56 PM

:hmm:

Well I just found out that I'm going to be in at 3. So would it make sense to see in early eve or do I need to got at night, night? Had planned to go in opposite direction to St. Georg* but could always subway between (I'm in between both if I can read the map correctly).

*side note but interesting that wiki says this is where they have their annual Christopher Street Day parade. Even though Stonewall Inn is on Christopher never would have thought about have a parade for Christopher Street. Not the loveliest of streets in Manhattan. :D

Going early will give you a sense of the place but the scene changes the later you stay.  It is kind of like an open air night club with a bordello attached.

mongers

Oh Gaby, just remembered, is there supposed to be one of the largest model railway displays in Hamburg; might be up your street if you like Transport Tycoon or Sid M.'s Railroad Tycoon ?

edit:
Details here:
http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Maybe I can pop by on Wednesday. Don't have to work till 6 that day - and it doesn't seem to far from my hotel. :hmm:

Syt

Re: Hamburg Reeperbahn: It's become very family friendly in recent years. Amsterdam it ain't. Still some nice bars in the side streets.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Just arrived on the train to Paris. Already I'm sensing a lot more hustle and bustle than I encountered in Marseille. :)

garbon

Had to use my french cell to put in call to office*. Me: not pleased. :angry:

*And Quebec of all places!

garbon

It is trite as I say it all the time when seeing famous works - but wow, I hadn't realized how big The Raft of the Medusa is. So impressive. I'd say much more so than the Mona Lisa. :D

Assyrian wing at Louvre was also really cool. Such high quality sculpture.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2013, 11:26:59 AM
It is trite as I say it all the time when seeing famous works - but wow, I hadn't realized how big The Raft of the Medusa is. So impressive. I'd say much more so than the Mona Lisa. :D

I think there are thousands if not millions of art works more impressive than the Mona Lisa. Possibly including some gracing Languish refrigerators.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Yeah :)

With most art, it really does make a huge difference seeing them in real life.

As for the Mona Lisa... I think it's more about the mystique and mythology of the painting rather than something super amazing about the painting itself.