News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Traditional stuff to do in Hamburg would be a boat trip through the harbor. I think there's English language tours available. Also, there's a Russian sub you can visit in the harbor. In the same general area there's the largest model train diorama.

The infamous Reeperbahn has become rather family friendly, but some of the side streets retain their seedy charms. Some nice bars and pubs to be found in that area.

If it were summer I would recommend having a coffee at the Alsterarkaden, but I don't think you want to sit outside in January. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

:lol: Yeah unfortunately, I think I only have the morning to myself in Hamburg. Fly in right before work on the Weds and leave in the afternoon on Thursday.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
Hey all, I'm going to be traveling later this month for business to Marseille, Paris, Frankfurt and Hamburg.  2 days, 4 days, 1 and 0 days of free time respectively in each.  Anything I should do or see while there?

For Paris, given the time, I'll try and hit up some of the big touristy things but for Marseille / Frankfurt - haven't the foggiest.

For Marseille, you are in the south of France. There is a lot to see & do--if you have four days, maybe skip Marseille? Aside from the beach etc in the area, if you are more historically inclined there are lots of Roman ruins (such as the Pont du Gard) in the area, Avignon isn't too far (which also has good Roman ruins nearby), and though a bit further toward the atlantic coast (and with some access restrictions) there is some of the premier cave art in the world. I'd get a car and make it a driving tour.

If you just have 1 day in Frankfurt why not just stay where you are? Especially if you are working in the city, you will have local contacts that can give you good bar/restaurant recommendations, etc and maybe even show you around. Probably better than a daytrip somewhere else. Also probably better to use your travel energy in France.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 09:05:39 PMGood to know. Yeah, I'm wondering whether or not I should go out to Versailles. Not sure if I have the time. Had been told to allot a good part of a day.

Versailles is pretty spectacular. Definitely worth seeing, though there's enough to do in Paris that it can be left for next time if you have other priorities. I figure it's about a 3/4 day trip. If you head out in the morning (and I think it's worth it getting there with the early crowds rather than the later, even bigger crowds) you can probably head back in the early afternoon.

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on January 08, 2013, 12:34:04 AM
For Marseille, you are in the south of France. There is a lot to see & do--if you have four days, maybe skip Marseille? Aside from the beach etc in the area, if you are more historically inclined there are lots of Roman ruins (such as the Pont du Gard) in the area, Avignon isn't too far (which also has good Roman ruins nearby), and though a bit further toward the atlantic coast (and with some access restrictions) there is some of the premier cave art in the world. I'd get a car and make it a driving tour.
Unfortunately as the trip is for business, I do have to actually be in Marseille for an evening. Have the Monday when I arrive - probably mostly a wash as I'll be out of the timezone, then Tuesday before evening work and then probably want to head to Paris on Weds or early Thurs for work on Thurs eve.

If you just have 1 day in Frankfurt why not just stay where you are? Especially if you are working in the city, you will have local contacts that can give you good bar/restaurant recommendations, etc and maybe even show you around. Probably better than a daytrip somewhere else. Also probably better to use your travel energy in France.

That was my original plan though admittedly I'll likely only see my contacts on Monday eve. Tuesday was originally booked for travel to Hamburg, but travel agency moved flight till Weds, so that Tuesday I'll just be remotely working offline for stuff for people in NYC.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2013, 12:41:04 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 09:05:39 PMGood to know. Yeah, I'm wondering whether or not I should go out to Versailles. Not sure if I have the time. Had been told to allot a good part of a day.

Versailles is pretty spectacular. Definitely worth seeing, though there's enough to do in Paris that it can be left for next time if you have other priorities. I figure it's about a 3/4 day trip. If you head out in the morning (and I think it's worth it getting there with the early crowds rather than the later, even bigger crowds) you can probably head back in the early afternoon.

Yeah I'd love to see it, I just wonder if it wouldn't be cramming too much in. On the other hand who knows when I'll be in Paris again for so many days.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 12:28:11 AM
:lol: Yeah unfortunately, I think I only have the morning to myself in Hamburg. Fly in right before work on the Weds and leave in the afternoon on Thursday.

Ah. If it were on Sunday morning, you could go to the traditional Hamburg Fish Market (Sundays, starting 7am in winter half year, 5am in summer). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 01:31:18 AM
Yeah I'd love to see it, I just wonder if it wouldn't be cramming too much in. On the other hand who knows when I'll be in Paris again for so many days.

One of the good things about Versailles IMO, is that it's big enough, prestigious enough, and far enough away from the centre of Paris that it justifies taking a day of your itinerary. However, it doesn't quite take a whole day - at least it didn't when I went - so it feels pretty relaxing overall. Getting there isn't too bad either. So if you want to see it and commit to taking the day to get there, it's great. Whether that's worth it depends on whether you have something else you'd rather do with one day; but I don't think Versailles would be too much if you commit the day.

Gups

I had a few days in Versaille last Summer. I have to say that I enjoyed the gardens more than the interior (which was just wall to wall bling and rammed full of tourists). Away from the Palace, the town has some interesting buildings. 

Maladict

Yeah, if the palace, gardens and Trianons don't take a full day (and I can't see how they wouldn't), a visit to the town might be a nice addition. But if you only have 4 days to spare for a first time visit to Paris I'm not sure I'd sacrifice one for Versailles. The Louvre alone will take up 2 full days.

Martinus

I am not big on sight seeing, to be honest. I love reading on history of famous people and places, but when I see them in reality it's always some kind of a "meh" experience. My favourite trip to Paris was when we had a Languish meet there, stood for maybe half an hour in a queue to the Eiffel Tower, then gave up and decided to spend the rest of a day in an Irish pub.  :blush:

So my recommendation would be: go to places where you know people and will have fun? :unsure:

Pedrito

Paris, I'm fairly fresh, I've been there one month ago  ;)

The Louvre, if you go there early in the morning (it opens 9.30 IIRC) there are almost no queues to get in. Monday it's closed, don't go there in the weekend because the queues are impossible.  Mainly the egyptian and greek halls; the Italian masters (Veronese :wub:), and on the opposite corridor the french masters (The Raft of the Medusa :wub: :wub:); the collection of german, flemish and northern painters isn't as exceptional as the rest, IMO.

The Musée d'Orsay. Everything. Closed on mondays, too, IIRC, but check on the website.

The Musée Picasso, in the Marais, is incredible but it's actualy closed for renovation  :(

I don't remember if the Edward Hopper exhibition at the Grand Palais is still open, when are you going?

Notre Dame: wonderful, the queue to get in is long but really fast, not so much the one to get to the bell tower  <_<  On the Ile de la Cité, there's the Sainte Chapelle that's wonderful too.

The subway is excellent, but I advise to go strolling around, the city is beautiful. Taxis are relatively cheap for a big city.

Les Halles are closed for renovation, too.

Places to go: the Marais; boulevard St. Germain and surroundings, the Latin Quarter; The Triangle d'Or: Avenue Montaigne, Avenue George V, and Avenue des Champs Elysées: faint at the price tags in this area's boutiques.

I have plenty of addresses of shops and nice restaurants, PM me if you want more info  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

All of the above.

Also:
Musée Marmottan-Monet, near Bois de Boulogne. I'm not too big on 'modern' painting but these Monets are fantastic.
Musée de Cluny   :wub:
The Invalides, obviously.

Brazen

If you fancy a mini-meet, given enough notice I could look into a cheap day return on Eurostar and meet you for a bit of city-centre sightseeing and dinner.  :bowler: :frog:

Edit: Oh, this month. Too soon, too broke :(