And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 18, 2013, 11:56:13 AM
Yeah :)

With most art, it really does make a huge difference seeing them in real life.

Yeah, I think it is really hard to grasp the monumentality of some works from a slideshow/reel. :)

As for the Mona Lisa... I think it's more about the mystique and mythology of the painting rather than something super amazing about the painting itself.

Perhaps, though I think what also added to my "so what?" vibe was all the precautions they had around it (no one can get close - has its own system for lining up to view) when just outside its hall are famous works of immense scale. Presentation was over-hyped for what it is - though understandable given it is one of the first works even a art neophyte knows.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2013, 01:13:55 PM
Yeah :)

With most art, it really does make a huge difference seeing them in real life.

Yeah, I think it is really hard to grasp the monumentality of some works from a slideshow/reel. :)

As for the Mona Lisa... I think it's more about the mystique and mythology of the painting rather than something super amazing about the painting itself.

Perhaps, though I think what also added to my "so what?" vibe was all the precautions they had around it (no one can get close - has its own system for lining up to view) when just outside its hall are famous works of immense scale. Presentation was over-hyped for what it is - though understandable given it is one of the first works even a art neophyte knows.

Yeah they shouldn't let threat levels dictate their precautions.  :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Some pieces just have vast fame. The Rosetta Stone is a bit like that, can never see the damned thing because of the crowd of Japanese tourists that surround it  :hmm:

garbon

The Code of Hammurabi was great. No one around. :)

Richard Hakluyt

That's rather surprising, or maybe it hasn't reached into the popular culture the way the Rosetta stone has.

Sounds like you are having a good business trip btw. Four free days in Paris, that is really awesome for a business trip  :cool:

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on January 18, 2013, 05:50:59 PM
The Code of Hammurabi was great. No one around. :)

My favourite British Museum exhibit was the panel of the Siege of Lachish. I was interested in it because I visited Lachish (now a huge tel) when I was volunteering at a dig in Israel.

It's great for military history nerds - this panel has everything: some of the earliest siege warfare depictions in the world. Includes the (very nasty) fate of the losers - flaying alive, impaling, etc.

http://www.odysseyadventures.ca/articles/lachish_slides/lachish_text.htm
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Siege of Languish? And the very nasty fate of those losers?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I hope I can make my flight to Frankfurt. One of the few not cancelled flights currently. Was listed as delayed a few minutes ago but now back to on time. *fingers crossed*

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2013, 06:16:38 AM
I hope I can make my flight to Frankfurt. One of the few not cancelled flights currently. Was listed as delayed a few minutes ago but now back to on time. *fingers crossed*

Next time take the train instead.  :)

garbon

Perhaps but better is next time, I should avoid traveling to Europe in winter.

Monitor in terminal shows on time but online shows 15 minute delay. We shall see.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Maladict on January 21, 2013, 06:45:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2013, 06:16:38 AM

Next time take the train instead.  :)

Taking a plane for a 600 km trip when there is a high-speed rail link, at least in France  :D
The train would probably be late a bit though since the crappy ICE 3 seems to have been rushed by Siemens and very prone to bad weather trouble.

garbon

Hey I took a train from Marseille to Paris.

garbon

Woot plane is here - one small step down. :)

garbon

They told us in terminal they are waiting on authorization to fly. Online says till 4 now. It looks quite possible I could miss the interviews I was to watch in Frankfurt...