News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

They took my bag at Frankfurt. They have now cancelled all flights and want to send me on train to Hamburg. My bag can no longer be located. Err...

Also this trip has become a train wreck. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Looking forward to the full AAR (in TBR?) once you have returned safely! :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Yes will have to do especially as system now says my flight is on. Now back in terminal. Meowtf?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2013, 08:04:07 AM
They took my bag at Frankfurt. They have now cancelled all flights and want to send me on train to Hamburg. My bag can no longer be located. Err...

Also this trip has become a train wreck. :D

Well if you keep insisting on flying when you shouldn't you deserve nothing less. :P

garbon

Just got back from Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg. Basically a small art museum with a lot of cultural artifacts from around the world. Always interesting what detailed text they choose to also provide in English and what they don't.  Nice museum though in their antiquities bit seemed to not know where to put African objects, so there would be a random Subsaharan sculpture in a room of Greek art.

Have appreciated in Hamburg some of the efficiency things like off subway, escalator only starts when someone is on it (otherwise looks broken) and at museum there were rooms where display case lights only went on if someone was in the room.

Brazen

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2013, 09:28:16 AM
Have appreciated in Hamburg some of the efficiency things like off subway, escalator only starts when someone is on it (otherwise looks broken) and at museum there were rooms where display case lights only went on if someone was in the room.
I was intrigued by that in parts of the continent too. It's a bit depressingly dark in some cities, as the shops all switch off their window display lights at night too.

garbon

I was very perplexed. I'd actually head for the stairs before I saw it start up when someone else walked to it. :D

Now, I'm home bound. Apparently I showed up too early as BA check-in wasn't even open when I got to the airport.  I'm now easily the youngest person in this airport lounge by at least 2 decades. :showoff:

Barring any unforeseen complications, I'll be in my own bed tonight. :cool:

merithyn

Sounds like a successful trip. Can't wait for the AAR and pics. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2013, 06:37:52 AM
I was very perplexed. I'd actually head for the stairs before I saw it start up when someone else walked to it. :D

You're easily perplexed.  :D

merithyn

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Not really. Around here, a non-moving escalator means it's broken.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: merithyn on January 24, 2013, 07:22:19 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 24, 2013, 07:02:20 AM

Not really. Around here, a non-moving escalator means it's broken.

Not really. Around here, you're not garbon.

garbon