News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Hey all, I'm going to be traveling later this month for business to Marseille, Paris, Frankfurt and Hamburg.  2 days, 4 days, 1 and 0 days of free time respectively in each.  Anything I should do or see while there?

For Paris, given the time, I'll try and hit up some of the big touristy things but for Marseille / Frankfurt - haven't the foggiest.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
Hey all, I'm going to be traveling later this month for business to Marseille, Paris, Frankfurt and Hamburg.  2 days, 4 days, 1 and 0 days of free time respectively in each.  Anything I should do or see while there?

For Paris, given the time, I'll try and hit up some of the big touristy things but for Marseille / Frankfurt - haven't the foggiest.

The general advice I received for Frankfurt was "move along, nothing to see here".  It seemed very modern and lacking in any real charm.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brezel

I've been few hours in Hamburg once. The German customs museum is located ther but I remember it being about as exciting as it sounds. There are also water canals, a big city hall, warehouse district called "Speicherstadt" and a bombed church tower "Nikolaikirchturm" to see there. But I wouldn't feel too sorry for not seeing them either.

Jacob

My one tip for Paris (and it could be out of date) is that if you're going to Versailles, you can buy a "train & entry" ticket at the station where you catch the train to Versailles. Buy it.

Once you arrive, you'll see a giant giant line-up of people waiting to buy tickets. You can then walk past that line which takes hours, and join the much smaller line where the wait is like 10 minutes.

... that was my experience anyhow. If you are interested in Versailles, I'd look into that.

Admiral Yi

In Marseilles check out the old port, then find a restaurant and eat some bouillabaise.

In Paris spend one day wandering the Latin Quarter + Notre Dame.

Viking

Don't go to Frankfurt for fun, go to Mainz instead. It's just a short train trip away and Mainz is actually a nice place with history untouched (relatively speaking) by the 8th Air Force or SAC.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2013, 08:48:06 PM
Don't go to Frankfurt for fun, go to Mainz instead. It's just a short train trip away and Mainz is actually a nice place with history untouched (relatively speaking) by the 8th Air Force or SAC.

Oh really? Maybe I'll do that then as I do have one full day where it is just up to me where I get my work done.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2013, 06:42:03 PM
My one tip for Paris (and it could be out of date) is that if you're going to Versailles, you can buy a "train & entry" ticket at the station where you catch the train to Versailles. Buy it.

Once you arrive, you'll see a giant giant line-up of people waiting to buy tickets. You can then walk past that line which takes hours, and join the much smaller line where the wait is like 10 minutes.

... that was my experience anyhow. If you are interested in Versailles, I'd look into that.

Good to know. Yeah, I'm wondering whether or not I should go out to Versailles. Not sure if I have the time. Had been told to allot a good part of a day.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2013, 06:47:11 PM
In Marseilles check out the old port, then find a restaurant and eat some bouillabaise.

In Paris spend one day wandering the Latin Quarter + Notre Dame.

Oh good, that's actually right where I'm staying/working in Marseille.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brezel on January 07, 2013, 06:05:20 PM
I've been few hours in Hamburg once. The German customs museum is located ther but I remember it being about as exciting as it sounds.

:lol:

"...Und vee haff a customs steeker here...und a customs steeker zere..."

lustindarkness

I'll second Mainz, I spent half a day there, very nice.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

You could also go to Heidelberg if you have a whole day. Takes like an hour on the train from Frankfurt.

garbon

What's the draw of Heidelberg? I finish my work on a Monday night in Frankfurt and don't head to Hamburg until that Wednesday afternoon.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?