News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

European travel recommendations

Started by garbon, January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Frankfurt, as far as I'm concerned, only has the Städel art museum (14th-20th century works) worthy of a visit. There's also a nice rebuilt Roman fort in Saalburg (not far from where Minsky used to live).
You can also visit Goethe's rebuilt house...
Heidelberg is a student town.
As for Marseille, you can visit the Vieux-Port and the "calanques" in the outskirts, otherwise that's not exactly visit-worthy but you can get some real champagne there too ;)

As for Paris, the same regional subway links the Eiffel Tower to Versailles. This line is not crowded, unlike others. So many museums in Paris, it's a question of taste. Right now there's an exhibition about les Enfants du Paradis at the Cinémathèque for instance.
Taxis are also definitively not cheap in Paris, unlike what Pedrito says.
Be careful though, winter sales are about to start and will last for 5 weeks so department stores and public transportation will be more crowded than usual till mid-February.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2013, 01:47:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 01:31:18 AM
Yeah I'd love to see it, I just wonder if it wouldn't be cramming too much in. On the other hand who knows when I'll be in Paris again for so many days.

One of the good things about Versailles IMO, is that it's big enough, prestigious enough, and far enough away from the centre of Paris that it justifies taking a day of your itinerary. However, it doesn't quite take a whole day - at least it didn't when I went - so it feels pretty relaxing overall. Getting there isn't too bad either. So if you want to see it and commit to taking the day to get there, it's great. Whether that's worth it depends on whether you have something else you'd rather do with one day; but I don't think Versailles would be too much if you commit the day.

Yeah I think I'd love to go but I think given the amount of time I have there / that it'll be cold and I'll be less adventurous (so like a desert tortoise), I'll probably save it for another time. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on January 08, 2013, 07:08:21 AM
If you fancy a mini-meet, given enough notice I could look into a cheap day return on Eurostar and meet you for a bit of city-centre sightseeing and dinner.  :bowler: :frog:

Edit: Oh, this month. Too soon, too broke :(

I'm hoping to still make it out to England later this year. Got the vacation days allotted and have my free ticket to redeem on Virgin Atlantic. :hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Yeah I think I'd love to go but I think given the amount of time I have there / that it'll be cold and I'll be less adventurous (so like a desert tortoise), I'll probably save it for another time. :blush:

Makes perfect sense. I expect the weather would be less than ideal for enjoying the grounds.

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on January 08, 2013, 06:15:04 AM
All of the above.

Also:
Musée Marmottan-Monet, near Bois de Boulogne. I'm not too big on 'modern' painting but these Monets are fantastic.
Musée de Cluny   :wub:
The Invalides, obviously.

In the Louvre (and other Paris museums), I'll go and spend many hours in just one section, taking my time with each room's display. I seem to be the only one that does--everyone else is flying through. In the Musee de Cluny, I noticed almost everyone lingering in each room like me. The patrons there are my people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 05:27:55 PM
Hey all, I'm going to be traveling later this month for business to Marseille, Paris, Frankfurt and Hamburg.  2 days, 4 days, 1 and 0 days of free time respectively in each.  Anything I should do or see while there?

For Paris, given the time, I'll try and hit up some of the big touristy things but for Marseille / Frankfurt - haven't the foggiest.

Is your business sex?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Why would I pick those cities if that was the case? :wacko:

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2013, 01:29:01 PM
Why would I pick those cities if that was the case? :wacko:

You like fags, scheisse and hookers?

garbon

As I finish up packing, I can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting something. :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Jacket with maple leaf on it so you can pretend to be Canadian?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2013, 12:16:09 PM
As I finish up packing, I can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting something. :hmm:

Remember to bring yourself ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

:P

Admiral Yi

Passport and ATM/credit are the only absolute essentials.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2013, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

:P

Yeah, have a good one Gabby, hope you find some winter sunshine on the continent.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

You're packing?