Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on August 23, 2013, 03:32:06 PM
Thankfully I have zero problems with the food or water in Argentina.  If only it were safer to drive there...

That's one hell of a drive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Syt

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Woman-cop-gang-raped-in-Jharkhand/articleshow/22037022.cms

QuoteWoman cop gang-raped in Jharkhand

RANCHI: A woman police constable was gangraped by five dacoits in Latehar district of Jharkhand.

The gang rape took place in Udaipura which is 12 km from the Latehar police station on Wednesday night. A case was registered on Thursday.

The 30-year-old survivor with her family members was taking the dead body of a relative for cremation from Ranchi to Garhwa. They were accosted by a gang of dacoits on the Latehar Garhwa National Highway 75.

Police sources said that the woman tried to resist the dacoits when they asked her to get out of the vehicle. "They took the woman aside and took turns to rape her," sub-divisonal police officer (Latehar) Alok Kumar said.

The family members could not do anything as the dacoits were armed. Two of the survivor's sisters were also present in the vehicle.

The dacoits robbed them as well. "Altogether 11 vehicles were looted by the dacoits at gunpoint that night," he added.

DGP Rajiv Kumar on Saturday asked the district police to immediately trace and nab the culprits. "It is a shameful incident. No one involved in the incident would be spared," the DGP said.

A committee has been formed to investigate the case. "We have detained five youths in this connection. They all have criminal history," said Latehar SP Michael S Raj.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2013, 01:27:29 AM
Thankfully I have zero problems with the food or water in Argentina.  If only it were safer to drive there...

Once you get across the canal it gets easier.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2013, 01:27:29 AM

:lol:

Phillip V

Youngest Assailant in Bus Rape Murder Case Gets Three-Year Sentence

'The mother and brother of the victim said Saturday they weren't satisfied with the sentence and will appeal in a higher court seeking a harsher punishment for the 18-year-old.

The mother said that all the culprits should be hanged.'

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324463604579046532230345694.html

jimmy olsen

More terrible, yet unsurprising news from India.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/09/03/indian_government_crime_statistics_show_one_indian_woman_killed_every_hour.html
QuoteReport: One Indian Woman Killed Every Hour Over Outlawed Dowry Custom

By Elliot Hannon
Posted Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013, at 6:29 PM

Over the last year, there has been a surge in high profile cases of violence against women in India, particularly cases of rape. The increasing awareness of the treatment of women in India does not mean that abuse is a new problem for the country, but one that is now, more than ever, out in the open.

Adding to the bleak picture of the treatment of women in India, the Indian government released its national crime statistics last week finding that 8,233 women were killed in the country last year due to disputes over dowry payments. That's equivalent to almost one death every hour. The conviction rate for such crimes was 32 percent.

Paying a dowry, which usually amounts to a cash payment from the bride's family to the family of the groom, is officially illegal in India. But, it is a custom that persists across all walks of life in India. "Higher socio-economic strata is equally involved in such practices. Even the highly educated class of our society do not say no to dowry. It runs deep into our social system," New Delhi deputy police commissioner, Suman Nalwa, told the Press Trust of India.

"Dowry demands often continue for years after the wedding," reports the AP. "Each year, thousands of young Indian women are doused with gasoline and burned to death because the groom or his family felt the dowry was inadequate." "Marriages have become commercialized. It's like a business proposition where the groom and his family make exorbitant demands. And the wealthier the family, the more outrageous the demands," women's rights activist, Ranjana Kumari, told the AP.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 03, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
More terrible, yet unsurprising news from India.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/09/03/indian_government_crime_statistics_show_one_indian_woman_killed_every_hour.html
QuoteReport: One Indian Woman Killed Every Hour Over Outlawed Dowry Custom

By Elliot Hannon
Posted Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013, at 6:29 PM

Over the last year, there has been a surge in high profile cases of violence against women in India, particularly cases of rape. The increasing awareness of the treatment of women in India does not mean that abuse is a new problem for the country, but one that is now, more than ever, out in the open.

Adding to the bleak picture of the treatment of women in India, the Indian government released its national crime statistics last week finding that 8,233 women were killed in the country last year due to disputes over dowry payments. That's equivalent to almost one death every hour. The conviction rate for such crimes was 32 percent.

Paying a dowry, which usually amounts to a cash payment from the bride's family to the family of the groom, is officially illegal in India. But, it is a custom that persists across all walks of life in India. "Higher socio-economic strata is equally involved in such practices. Even the highly educated class of our society do not say no to dowry. It runs deep into our social system," New Delhi deputy police commissioner, Suman Nalwa, told the Press Trust of India.

"Dowry demands often continue for years after the wedding," reports the AP. "Each year, thousands of young Indian women are doused with gasoline and burned to death because the groom or his family felt the dowry was inadequate." "Marriages have become commercialized. It's like a business proposition where the groom and his family make exorbitant demands. And the wealthier the family, the more outrageous the demands," women's rights activist, Ranjana Kumari, told the AP.

This isn't new news by any means, but any additional publicity it gets is good.

The real problem about dowry comes from the fact that, in case of divorce, the dowry is supposed to be returned, since it is the property of the wife, not the husband.  If the wife dies rather than being divorced, then the dowry passes to the husband.  Hence, all of the gasoline accidents Indian women suffer.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ideologue

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2013, 09:13:27 AM
Hence, all of the gasoline accidents Indian women suffer.

Sounds legit to me. More dangerous than dynamite
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

4 Sentenced to Death in Rape Case That Riveted India

'The sentences to die by hanging after the brutal rape and murder of a 23-year-old woman drew cheers from outside the courtroom.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/14/world/asia/4-sentenced-to-death-in-rape-case-that-riveted-india.html

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 06, 2013, 12:35:53 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2013, 09:13:27 AM
Hence, all of the gasoline accidents Indian women suffer.

Sounds legit to me. More dangerous than dynamite

Pfft, just another PR ploy for "Reputable Dry Cleaning Company" to corner the market.

merithyn

They got the death sentence.

QuoteAn Indian court has sentenced four men to death for the gang rape and murder of a student in the capital Delhi, a case which led to violent protests across India and new laws against rape.

Mukesh Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Pawan Gupta were found guilty on all counts earlier this week.

Judge Yogesh Khanna said the case fell in the "rarest of rare category", rejecting pleas for a lighter sentence.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile, back in civilization:

QuoteNew York's Nina Davuluri crowned 2014 Miss America
Miss New York Nina Davuluri has become the first Miss America of Indian descent, after wooing the judges with a Bollywood fusion dance.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-york-crowned-2014-america-article-1.1456960#ixzz2f4OubXOd