Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 23, 2014, 07:00:45 PM
Edit: Incidentally I think based on estimates of prison rape (by the DoJ) this makes the US probably the only country in the world where most victims of rape are men.
Aren't 1 in 4 women raped or something? 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on January 23, 2014, 07:54:27 PM
It is not rape rape since most of those men cannot conceive - the body won't allow it.

:lol:  The sphincter has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on January 23, 2014, 08:09:31 PMAren't 1 in 4 women raped or something?

something like that. sheilbh might be right about violent rape, but i don't know. if you include only violent incidences of rape, the number of men raped in prison drops as well

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2014, 01:44:58 PM
if you include only violent incidences of rape, the number of men raped in prison drops as well

Who in the what now?

LaCroix

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 25, 2014, 02:22:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 25, 2014, 02:18:30 PMWho in the what now?

not every raped man in prison goes the andy dufresne route

Yes, I understand the concept of professional sissies and bitches.  But that's not rape, now is it?

I am interested in how you differentiate "rape" from "violent rape" within the context of a incarceration environment, however.  Date rape, perhaps?  Is acquaintance rape pretty big at the Illinois Department of Corrections?

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 25, 2014, 02:33:20 PMYes, I understand the concept of professional sissies and bitches.  But that's not rape, now is it?

I am interested in how you differentiate "rape" from "violent rape" within the context of a incarceration environment, however.  Date rape, perhaps?  Is acquaintance rape pretty big at the Illinois Department of Corrections?

i don't mean sissies/bitches, at least not the type that seek it out because it they feel it offers protection (or are offered protection in exchange). i mean the large guy that forces himself on a smaller guy, and the smaller guy does not fight it off as he feels threatened and fears the consequence of doing so. that very much is rape, and i suspect when reported those incidences are filed as rape. i could be wrong and the only data available is strictly violent-rape, but that would be kind of odd

garbon

Do people think about those as separate? After all you are really talking about fear of greater violence. Penetrative sexual assault isn't exactly pain free (re: violence).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 08:08:52 AM
Do people think about those as separate? After all you are really talking about fear of greater violence. Penetrative sexual assault isn't exactly pain free (re: violence).

Rape traditionally meant the use of force, or the threat of force, to obtain sex.  If the victim doesn't resist, and the threat of force is merely implied, then it can be perceived as being in a grey area.

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 26, 2014, 10:23:29 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 08:08:52 AM

Rape traditionally meant the use of force, or the threat of force, to obtain sex.  If the victim doesn't resist, and the threat of force is merely implied, then it can be perceived as being in a grey area.

I've no idea what you are trying to say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 10:30:55 AM
Quote from: dps on January 26, 2014, 10:23:29 AM

I've no idea what you are trying to say.

"Rape fantasy."  BDSM.  Situations where the initiator could technically be considered to be committing rape, but there's prior consent to the situation.
Experience bij!

garbon

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
I don't think LaCroix was talking about BDSM.

No, I don't think he was, either.

Always interesting to see how rape repeatedly sees efforts to get qualified, even by supposedly intelligent people.

MadImmortalMan

If the person consents out of fear, then it's rape if you ask me.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers