Will a Horrific Bus Gang-Rape in Delhi Finally Change India's Culture of Rape?

Started by jimmy olsen, December 21, 2012, 01:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Acid attacks weren't a criminal matter before?  Assault is assault, no?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Oh, India. :rolleyes:

Woman gang-raped inside lawyer's chamber
Published: Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013, 23:20 IST
Place: New Delhi | Agency: PTI

A woman has alleged that she was raped by four men, including her estranged husband, inside a lawyer's chamber here, police said on Tuesday.

The victim claimed that the incident took place in a chambers of the lawyer practicing in Patiala court complex.

She claimed that her husband's lawyer called her to the court on pretext of settling her divorce petition.

She claimed her husband and sister-in-law took her to the chamber where she was raped by the lawyer, his assistant and her husband and her brother-in-law.

A case has been registered.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Oh man, that's wrong on every possible level.

What ad executive gave that particular concept the green light?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Syt

QuoteIt has also made [...] acid attacks and the trafficking of women punishable under criminal law.

They weren't before? :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

[NOTE: For the squeamish, DON'T READ THIS ARTICLE.]

I hope the mother fucker roasts in hell... but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets off without serving a day in prison.

QuoteThe accused in rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi was arrested from Muzaffarpur in Bihar on Friday night, said police.

The five-year-old girl was raped, battered, had a plastic bottle and candles shoved into her vagina and was left to die in a locked room in east Delhi by her 25-year-old neighbour before she was discovered two days later, lying in a pool of her own blood.

When her father went to the police for help, they gave him Rs. 2,000 to hush up the matter.

And when protesters gathered outside the hospital the girl was taken to, a senior police officer thought nothing of slapping a woman demonstrator.

Clearly, nothing has changed in rape capital Delhi, despite the public outrage and government assurances that followed the December 16 gang rape of a 23-year-old woman on a moving bus and her subsequent death.

The little girl was playing near her rented house in Dilshad Garden last Sunday evening when she was abducted by Manoj, a tailor who doubles up as a labourer. For the next 72 hours, she was raped and brutalised over and over again in a room right below her own house, as her family searched desperately for her.

She was rescued from her dark prison on Wednesday, after her parents heard her feeble cries and called the police.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I could've done without the image of a cop slapping a female protester.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2013, 05:15:47 PM
Yeah, I could've done without the image of a cop slapping a female protester.

I intentionally didn't bold the bad part. :sleep:

Phillip V

Phillip V

2nd Suspect Arrested in India Child Rape as More Cases Emerge

'The police arrested a second suspect in the rape and torture of a 5-year-old girl on Monday and announced that the number of reported rapes in New Delhi had more than doubled since December, while molesting cases had risen sixfold.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/23/world/asia/india-child-rape.html

merithyn

QuotePolice Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said at a news conference Monday that the increase in the number of reported sex crimes in New Delhi was a measure of how much more seriously the police took such reports since the gang rape of a medical student in December led to widespread protests and the enactment of a new rape law.

:hmm:

Based on the fact that the police tried to buy the parents' silence for 2000 rupees, I'm gonna go with a big fat NOT. :contract:

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on April 22, 2013, 10:03:39 AM
QuotePolice Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said at a news conference Monday that the increase in the number of reported sex crimes in New Delhi was a measure of how much more seriously the police took such reports since the gang rape of a medical student in December led to widespread protests and the enactment of a new rape law.

:hmm:

Based on the fact that the police tried to buy the parents' silence for 2000 rupees, I'm gonna go with a big fat NOT. :contract:

My guess is that the prominence of the issue, raised by the high-profile Bus Case, has simply made reporting by members of the public more frequent.

Whether there has been any improvement on the part of the cops is an open question. Obviously, even if there has, not all cops there have got the memo. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2013, 10:16:47 AM
My guess is that the prominence of the issue, raised by the high-profile Bus Case, has simply made reporting by members of the public more frequent.

Whether there has been any improvement on the part of the cops is an open question. Obviously, even if there has, not all cops there have got the memo.

Yeah. I'd guess the increase in reporting has more to do with the fact that women are refusing to be shamed by what's happened to them more than that the police are "taking it seriously".