News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you having for the main Xmas meal?

Started by Martinus, December 20, 2012, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, we have had threads like this before, but that's not the reason not to make another one.

Whatever the main Xmas meal is in your culture/tradition/family, what are you going to have for it this year?

I'm having my parents over this year for the first time (since they are leaving for vacation on the next day and do not want to cook) for the Xmas eve, so I'm having:

- clear borshtsh with uszka (little mushroom-filled pierogi)
- fried pike-perch
- "Greek fish" (fried fish laid under layers of fried shreded carrots, onions, root celery and leek)
- eggs stuffed with salmon and mushrooms
- herring salad
- meat-less bigos (a stew of cabbage and mushrooms)
- lazanki (a type of pasta) with cabbage with mushrooms
- makowiec (poppy seed cake)
- keks (fruit cake with nuts and spices)
- dried plum compote
- wine
- eggnog

:licklips:

Liep

This. Maybe throw in some white cabbage as well, and some pork sausage.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

What are the brown balls? Some sort of plums?

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 06:43:54 AM
What are the brown balls? Some sort of plums?
Potatoes fried in melted sugar and butter. Delicious.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Phillip V

Gonna have a ham and turkey plus whatever other food Western expatriates and liberal Arabs bring to our small group feast.

Ed Anger

We are going simple this year. Chicken and dumplings, mashed potatoes, dinner rolls and deviled eggs.

I anticipate a 2 hour nap afterwards.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

But afterwards it's time to open presents and get drunk in good wine and cognac!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Fuck if I know.  Whatever's there when I show up at my sister's house that day.

mongers

I'm not overly fussed about most of it; the only thing I'll probably enjoy is some nice cheeses and biscuits. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Pizza. :)

If all the pizza places are closed, then Chinese. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I know we're having a honey-baked ham.  Other that that, Princesca will no doubt make something with bourbon in it (bourbon sweet potatoes, bourbon balls, etc.)  There will also be a number of crappy vegetable casseroles (broccoli casserole, green bean casserole) because the people in Princesca's family are obsessed with those.  Not sure about the rest.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Grey Fox

Mine is very none-traditionnal this year & has no real recurring team.

Mini Tourtiere
Chicken Wings
Vietnamese beef skewers
Roast Potatoes
2 Salads
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."