News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you having for the main Xmas meal?

Started by Martinus, December 20, 2012, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on December 20, 2012, 08:59:38 AM
Traditional North Italy Christmas Menu:

Smoked Salmon
Tortellini with beef broth
Big plate of assorted boiled meat: cotechino (kind of cooked salami), beef, maybe beef tail, stuffed chicken, cured beef tongue;
Sides of mashed potatoes, spinach, thistles gratin, lentils
Panettone, traditional Christmas cake

L.

:mmm:

Damn, I miss proper Italian cooking.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm not sure, my mother-in-law always puts out both ham and turkey and a lot of the traditional American Christmas side dishes, but she also always has a nice prime rib as well and then usually one other meat that tends to vary year to year. We've had fish as the fourth meat but also goose, duck etc as well.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

Roast beef (for the wife)
Au gratin potatoes
Pulled pork
Wedge salad
Charcuterie
Beer
Wine
Vin methode chapagnoise
Cheese plate
Trifle
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

Glazed ham, green beans and deep-fried macaroni are the usual fare.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

I adopt the contrarian position when it comes to holiday meals.  For Xmas, I'll have traditional Chinese dim sum.  For Chinese new year, I'll go western.  It is cheaper that way. 

dps

Normally, we'd have a turkey dinner with all the trimmings, but this year we've kind of decided to go with roast beef instead.  Despite the lack of turkey, there will be a pumpkin pie, dang it.

katmai

Haven't decided what I want to make yet, either Mole or try out some homemade Chili.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Are you cooking all that yourself, Marb? Or are you going to have catered?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on December 21, 2012, 12:47:34 AM
Are you cooking all that yourself, Marb? Or are you going to have catered?

Catered.  :blush:

Martinus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 20, 2012, 11:08:23 AM
Christmas Eve will be the traditional kielbasa

Uhm. That's not a Polish tradition (since Poles do not eat meat on Christmas Eve) so why use a Polish term for the dish? :P

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2012, 02:38:11 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 20, 2012, 11:08:23 AM
Christmas Eve will be the traditional kielbasa

Uhm. That's not a Polish tradition (since Poles do not eat meat on Christmas Eve) so why use a Polish term for the dish? :P

Dish? :unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.