News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you having for the main Xmas meal?

Started by Martinus, December 20, 2012, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 06:37:31 AM
Ok, we have had threads like this before, but that's not the reason not to make another one.

Whatever the main Xmas meal is in your culture/tradition/family, what are you going to have for it this year?

I'm having my parents over this year for the first time (since they are leaving for vacation on the next day and do not want to cook) for the Xmas eve, so I'm having:

- clear borshtsh with uszka (little mushroom-filled pierogi)
- fried pike-perch
- "Greek fish" (fried fish laid under layers of fried shreded carrots, onions, root celery and leek)
- eggs stuffed with salmon and mushrooms
- herring salad
- meat-less bigos (a stew of cabbage and mushrooms)
- lazanki (a type of pasta) with cabbage with mushrooms
- makowiec (poppy seed cake)
- keks (fruit cake with nuts and spices)
- dried plum compote
- wine
- eggnog

:licklips:
My father insists on having a turkey for Christmas, so I'll make one, but it'll be for the New Year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Scipio on December 20, 2012, 10:28:37 PM

Vin methode chapagnoise

Vin méthode champenoise of course. Well, not true champagne obviously but hopefully no as vomit-inducing as other champagne ersatzes.

Brazen

Gin and tonic.

Smoked salmon and venison pates with brown bread toast and side salad.

Wine.

Turkey crown with stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, roast parsnips, carrots, peas and gravy.

Tarte au citron or cheese board.

Cup of tea, burp, Doctor Who, nap, walk home from Dad's.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on December 21, 2012, 02:38:11 AM
Uhm. That's not a Polish tradition (since Poles do not eat meat on Christmas Eve) so why use a Polish term for the dish? :P

Because it's packaged as "kielbasa" and there does appear to be a slight difference from the meat packaged as "smoked sausage".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

We were originally going to have a food day this week in my department here at work but that quickly escalated into a Food Week.  I brought in a baked brie with black raspberry preserves, and covered by a puff pastry.

Turns out that just one other person in my department has had brie before.  I knew this group didn't get out enough, but FFS.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

What? What kind of cheese do american usually eat? Can't always be some yellow crap, can it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on December 21, 2012, 12:36:56 PM

Turns out that just one other person in my department has had brie before.  I knew this group didn't get out enough, but FFS.

Wow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 21, 2012, 01:02:58 PM
What? What kind of cheese do american usually eat? Can't always be some yellow crap, can it?

American.  Cheddar.  Sometimes Swiss (emmentaler) if they're adventurous.  Oh, and Pepper Jack because it's spicy...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Dude, look where you live.  The only brie those Cincitucky mouthbreathers are familiar with think it's last name is Olsen.

Eddie Teach

Gotta include parmesan, ricotta, mozzarella and maybe provolone if you're being comprehensive.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2012, 01:23:52 PM
Gotta include parmesan, ricotta, mozzarella and maybe provolone if you're being comprehensive.

Yeah, but mostly in recipes.  And in those cases it seems like the number of different cheeses used excites people more than the cheese itself.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2012, 01:21:52 PM

Dude, look where you live.  The only brie those Cincitucky mouthbreathers are familiar with think it's last name is Olsen.

True.  You should've seen my uber-provincial sister in law when the wife brought it to a family gathering a few years back.

Caliga

Christmas dinner for me and Princesca: planned.

Main course:

turkey
sage and onion stuffing
roast potatoes
roasted sprouts
bread sauce

Dessert:

Christmas pudding
brandy butter

We'll have the usual shit at her family's house... this is just for us, probably the next night.  I'll probably make it all since she has to work that day and I don't. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points