News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you having for the main Xmas meal?

Started by Martinus, December 20, 2012, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Pedrito

Traditional North Italy Christmas Menu:

Smoked Salmon
Tortellini with beef broth
Big plate of assorted boiled meat: cotechino (kind of cooked salami), beef, maybe beef tail, stuffed chicken, cured beef tongue;
Sides of mashed potatoes, spinach, thistles gratin, lentils
Panettone, traditional Christmas cake

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Martinus

Quote from: Pedrito on December 20, 2012, 08:59:38 AM

Smoked Salmon
Big plate of assorted boiled meat: cotechino (kind of cooked salami), beef, maybe beef tail, stuffed chicken, cured beef tongue;

L.

Finally someone treating the Christmas meal seriously. Which shows why Catholicism is superior. :pope:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

derspiess

Mom will be serving ham :mellow:  I like ham in general, but it always seems like a bullshit way to get out of having a proper turkey.  Wife may do a leg of lamb, since that is always a hit.

And we always have the same sides-- mashed potatoes (or scalloped potatoes since we're having ham), green been casserole, blah blah blah blah.  All that would be fine by me if I just got my damned turkey.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on December 20, 2012, 10:55:25 AM
Mom will be serving ham :mellow:  I like ham in general, but it always seems like a bullshit way to get out of having a proper turkey. 

Did you offer to cook it?

Liep

I've just realised that it's my sister's mother in law who'll do the cooking and I've no idea if I'll get my pork usuals.

We might end up with duck. Sides will be the same however, tradition, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Christmas Eve will be the traditional kielbasa, which I will attempt to smoke on a gas grill (never done that before).  Most likely served with sauerkraut, rye bread, and some sort of potato (may try to do German potato salad).

Christmas dinner will probably be a standing rib roast, which I have done for a few years now.  When I was a kid the traditional Christmas dinner as lasagna, but my mom puts so much ricotta in it that I can't eat it.  :blush:

Gups

I'm doing the bulk of the cooking

Christmas eve (with friends): Keralan fish curry, rice, some vegetable/lentil side dishes

Christmas day (nuclear family only): Roast rib of beef (I hate turkey), bone marrow gravy, roast spuds, carrots, parsnips, red cabbage., yorkshire pud

Boxing day (extended family): Ham (glazed with mustard/sugar), side of salmon, cheese, pate, several salds, bread etc - buffet style

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on December 20, 2012, 10:58:23 AM
Mom will be serving ham :mellow:  I like ham in general, but it always seems like a bullshit way to get out of having a proper turkey. 

:lol:  Good one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Faeelin on December 20, 2012, 10:58:23 AM

:lmfao:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Pedrito

Quote from: Martinus on December 20, 2012, 09:01:03 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on December 20, 2012, 08:59:38 AM

Smoked Salmon

L.

Finally someone treating the Christmas meal seriously. Which shows why Catholicism is superior. :pope:
:sleep:
we love to celebrate our holy days in style

projected weight gain at the end of the Christmas season: + 1,5 kilos :blush:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: