News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Real Men Pay

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 19, 2012, 07:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

In Poland, the typical approach to paying (whether on dates or at other occasions) is that everyone broadly pays for himself or herself. I say broadly, as it usually just involves everyone throwing a note or a few vaguely corresponding to the value of what he or she ordered.

You could call it "going Polish".

There are however variations to it:

- if one person is substantially more rich than the other one (especially if the richer one suggested the venue, and especially if it is a date), then he or she should offer to pay - the other person may either accept or offer "going Polish";

- if there are more people (and noone ordered out of line), it is acceptable to offer "going Dutch";

- sometimes people insist on "going Jewish" (the expression of my own :P) and go through the receipt with a pen and a calculator, so that everyone pays exactly for what they ordered - it's annoying.

But there is definitely not an expectation for someone who invites another person to a restaurant to pay (exceptions are things like entertaining your clients and whatnot - but still many clients would insist on paying their share).

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 19, 2012, 11:47:44 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 19, 2012, 11:37:29 PM
Because some men actually ask a girl out to get to know her. I know, novel concept, but it does happen. And interestingly enough, there are a lot of women who don't feel like they should have to have sex to get to know a guy. How bizarre!

I'm not sure about that. Maybe a man who is a 30 year old virgin and desperate, or perhaps a closet homo, or an insanely socially awkward loser. My experience is you sleep around as much as possible, pick up whatever strange comes your way and then maybe one of them is worth establishing a real relationship with. Certainly worked for me.

I don't know about closet homos - among gays, the usual approach is that relationship building is something you start doing once you are bored of sex with each other but can still somehow stand each other's presence. :P

Brazen

Inviter should offer to pay, invitee should offer to pay half, simple as that.

It's only when it gets into "You pay next time" "Err, what next time?" territory it gets awkward.

mongers

J.F.C. middle class people over-thinking something. :rolleyes:

Hint it doesn't matter in the scheme of things! :gasp:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2012, 07:27:26 AM

I would think this would be even more important to the lower classes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on December 20, 2012, 08:58:54 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 20, 2012, 07:27:26 AM

I would think this would be even more important to the lower classes.

They just pay or don't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The lower classes are too busy beating the shit out of their date in the parking lot to worry about who pays.

Grey Fox

The lawyer pays. That's something Malthus thaught me, actually.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I've never seen this as much of an issue - except when I was poor and couldn't afford to even pay for myself!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2012, 09:46:01 AM
I've never seen this as much of an issue - except when I was poor and couldn't afford to even pay for myself!

That's when I cooked at home for a date, instead of going out. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

It's true.  ;)

Actually, I'd have trouble doing anything with some of my friends if I didn't generally offer to pay - either that, or be limited to venues they can afford (shudder).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 10:02:18 AM

Oh I just made sure to be charming and spoke about being poor student at dinner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on December 20, 2012, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: merithyn on December 20, 2012, 10:02:18 AM

Oh I just made sure to be charming and spoke about being poor student at dinner.
you little strumpet, you :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

A few years ago I met a couple of Armenian girls, and somehow this topic came up. They said that in Armenia it was always and everytime the man's responsability to pay for everything, even in non-dating scenarios. I still don't know if they were for real or just trying to pull our leg.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on December 20, 2012, 10:02:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2012, 09:39:40 AM

It's true.  ;)

Actually, I'd have trouble doing anything with some of my friends if I didn't generally offer to pay - either that, or be limited to venues they can afford (shudder).

I know. I guess I just know the wrong people, since my friends have always been poorer than me, in general. :P

When I go out with D., I usually pay the bill but he pays the tip. :P