News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

So Ide, what do you want to see from the sequel to Man of Steel?

I think it would be a great twist if they have Lex not be evil, or at least as unevil as billionare business titan can be. ;) 

They way I would do it is play up Lex as a Steve Jobseque antihero/fanatic with good intentions. With all the collateral damage we saw, a fear of Superman, even if you know he has good intentions is well founded. They could also make it more personal with Lex's wife, parents or children dying in the attack.

Have Lex rebuild Metropolis, and where Wayne struggles to rebuild Gotham, have him succeed magnificently, creating a shinning city on a hill. In the process he becomes even richer and more politically powerful.

The government salvaged lots of Kryptonian technology, have LexCorp get contracts on reverse engineering it, particularly the armor, weapons and artificial intelligence...

Lex builds an android he calls Brainiac which he plans to use against Superman if he ever gets out of hand, but the android is compelled by deeply embedded Kryptonian programing to follow Zod's last orders and destroy the human race.

Lex and Superman have to cooperate together to figure out a way to destroy without causing too much collateral damage.

At the end they're successful but Lex's mind hasn't changed (though the minds of many others who supported Lex have) and its still clear that he's plotting against him, sliding into a more unethical direction.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 12, 2013, 05:46:42 AM
GOOD GOD I CAN'T REMEMBER BEING SO HYPED FOR A MOIVE!!!!!!!111111111

Amnesia?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Korea

Quote from: Ideologue on April 11, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
How the hell is that the first transgendered character in mainstream comics?  Shvaughn Erin?*  Desire of the Endless?  Wanda from A Game of You?

I really wouldn't consider Desire and Wanda mainstream comic book characters. Most of the comic readers I talk to are very meh on The Sandman series.

Besides, when you're thinking *main stream* comics you think of Marvel or DC. Justice League or the Avengers. Mainstream is the general public and not a niche in comic book history. When's the last time you heard someone mention Desire of the Endless?
I want my mother fucking points!

Korea

Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 10:08:08 PM
Desire isn't some kind of freak.  He/she doesn't really have a gender.

Also this.

Not that transgendered folk are freaks.

Korea

Quote from: Ideologue on April 25, 2013, 10:52:17 PM
Keith Giffen in the 80s: great artist or greatest artist?

Are you as excited about Justice League 3000 as I am?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46132

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Korea on June 19, 2013, 01:00:45 AM
How the hell is that the first transgendered character in mainstream comics?  Shvaughn Erin?*  Desire of the Endless?  Wanda from A Game of You?
I really wouldn't consider Desire and Wanda mainstream comic book characters. Most of the comic readers I talk to are very meh on The Sandman series.

Besides, when you're thinking *main stream* comics you think of Marvel or DC. Justice League or the Avengers. Mainstream is the general public and not a niche in comic book history. When's the last time you heard someone mention Desire of the Endless?
Really?  Fifteen years ago, Sandman was the best thing since sliced bread.  But perhaps it was a factor of the time period.  Sandman certainly has gothic elements that don't translate especially well for today's youth.

I think the main stream is starting to spread out a bit, partly because of graphic novels, partly because of some properties emerging from minor leagues and getting movies and TV shows made for them, and partly because of decline sales figures for the Big Two.  Mind you, that might just be wishful thinking because of my disgust at how Marvel and DC's more recent offerings.  Flashpoint pretty much ruined DC as a brand for me, and AvX was pretty weak.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/07/what-your-favorite-superhero-says-about-you/67446/

QuoteWhat Your Favorite Superhero Says About You

And whom we root for unsurprisingly says something about our own non-superhero selves.

Superman: You don't believe in underdogs. Cheering for Kal-El is sort of like rooting for Duke or the Miami Heat—you like the very best and don't like to be on the losing team. You are probably the firstborn and are a bit of an overachiever, so you're used to setting the example and handling the pressure that comes with it. You have probably enabled "god mode" in a video game or cheated on your golf score at some point. You're loyal to a fault, or at least like loyal people. You're also an optimist and see the good in all, despite what Batman fans says about you.

Batman: Do you secretly enjoy watching Superman (and his fan base) getting his (or their) butt(s) kicked? Yes. You like your heroes damaged, because perfection is silly. If everything were perfect, then why even bother making comic books? You're a realist with a pessimistic bent. You've seen the worst and know that you need to see the ugly side of things to appreciate life fully. You may also be a Mets fan.

Wonder Woman: Practicality means nothing to you, which is why you root for an Amazonian with indestructible bracelets and a lasso of truth. You were kind of hurt when writers gave Diana Prince the power of flight because you knew that it would mean she'd be giving up her invisible plane. Like Superman fans, you're also an optimist, but you also know that people will and can be jerks. For example, the guys who just think Wonder Woman is hot. 

Green Arrow: You liked archery before The Hunger Games and Hawkeye made it cool.

Green Lantern: You aren't a fan of Ryan Reynolds. You have a pair of green pants.

The Flash: Swingers is your favorite movie, and you've long argued over beers that Vince Vaughn would make a great Flash if he weren't so big and lumbering. You like slick talkers and fast walkers. You're probably a big Ryan Reynolds fan.

Damian Wayne: You're not-all-that-secretly hoping the royal baby is the anti-Christ.

Aquaman: You were a swimmer in high school who always felt out of place. Your natural habitat was in the water, away from people, and especially your teammates.

Martian Manhunter: Weird, stoic dudes who occasionally go off the deep end do it for you. You probably still listen to a lot of Fall Out Boy, too.

Robin: You have a small man's complex. You think the littler guys deserve more credit, and you're always more interested in the the supporting acting Oscars than the big wigs fancy pants main players. You like Scottie Pippen and Pau Gasol.

Captain America: See Superman fans.

Spider-Man: You love a good underdog story and might have been bullied as a kid. Now you're probably 30, drive a Porsche, have an awesome boyfriend/girlfriend, and live in Manhattan. The kids who beat you up aren't faring as well, and you probably spend a lot of time un-friending them on Facebook.

Ironman: You are the life of the party, and like your heroes to have a little bit of fun. You may also be an early adopter an Apple fanboy.

Hawkeye: You liked archery before Green Arrow and The Hunger Games made it cool.

Cyclops: You like penis jokes, but won't laugh at them in public.

Wolverine: You are probably the shortest person in your family, which your taller family members reminded you of every day. You don't deal well with authority and are completely fine with starting fights, just as long as you can end them. You also like things that aren't yours.

Emma Frost: Love you or hate you, you just don't want to be ignored. You prefer blondes over redheads. You also watched a lot of Mean Girls and probably thought Regina George was the hero and that Cady Heron should've been the one struck by the bus. You are probably enjoying Lindsay Lohan's fall from grace a little too much. You like someone to tell it like it is, preferably with a bit of snark and wit. The Avengers' boys-club-fraternity kinda makes you want to barf, but you have too much class to do that.

Gambit: You've tried to throw cards before or at least YouTubed it. You've probably also shoplifted.

Colossus: You are noble. You have terrible siblings who you'd risk your life for. You might also like Thor, though Colossus is way cooler.

Rogue: You like potlucks. You and your mother have a difficult relationship.

Psylocke: You relish a good backstory. You adore psychics, ninjas and psychic ninjas. You, my friend, are a Psylocke fan. Simple things and simple people bore you. Once you've got them figured out, there's no reason to go back, right? And let's be honest, you're not even sure how much or how little telekinesis Psylocke still possesses, which is the beauty of being a Psylocke fan.

The Hulk: There's beauty in simplicity, and that's how you like your heroes. You read Wikipedia entries of movies you don't see. People can't get to the point fast enough.

Storm: You might be a little gay. Or, at the very least, you like your superhero tales dripping in drama. Storm has a flair for the dramatic. So do her fans. In your world, winds don't blow—they swirl with the cold fury of Arctic gales. And when Storm kicks butt, she kicks it with the full force of the hurricane. You probably also like Greek mythology and RuPaul, or liked that one commercial RuPaul had envisioning herself and her drag queens as greek goddesses.

Dazzler: Your best "friend" is a Storm fan.

Jean Grey: No one actually likes Jean Grey. People who say they are big Jean Grey fans can't be trusted.

Odd though I like the Dazzler one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Just because Cyclops is repressed doesn't mean that I am.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 24, 2013, 12:16:31 PM
Just because Cyclops is repressed doesn't mean that I am.

As a kid, I really liked Rogue. I've never liked potlucks nor is my relationship with my mother strained. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2013, 10:28:40 AM
Superman: You don't believe in underdogs. Cheering for Kal-El is sort of like rooting for Duke or the Miami Heat—you like the very best and don't like to be on the losing team. You are probably the firstborn and are a bit of an overachiever, so you're used to setting the example and handling the pressure that comes with it. You have probably enabled "god mode" in a video game or cheated on your golf score at some point. You're loyal to a fault, or at least like loyal people. You're also an optimist and see the good in all, despite what Batman fans says about you.

Says you. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on June 19, 2013, 10:24:29 AM
Quote from: Korea on June 19, 2013, 01:00:45 AM

Really?  Fifteen years ago, Sandman was the best thing since sliced bread.

Indeed it was.  In the sense that any comics were mainstream, Sandman was that mainstream.  There's people of a certain age for whom Sandman was as culturally preeminent as August and Everything After or The X-Files.

In any event, a throwaway character in some lousy sub-satellite Batman comic is not more mainstream than 1990s biggest comics phenomenon.  I guess I could look up sales figures and the raw monthly numbers would suggest otherwise, but factor in TPBs and I'd guesstimate more than ten million people have read all of Sandman, probably thirty or forty million who've read some.  The same can be said for vanishly few straight-up* superhero books in the 90s, probably only Claremont and Lee's last days on X-Men and Jurgens et al's Death of Superman.

*Morpheus being a superhero himself, especially early on, though Gaiman took the series down avenues unconventional for a superhero book.

P.S. Korea, Sandman was totally DC.  Remember when he hung out with Scott Free and J'Onn J'Onzz and fought a giant battle with Dr. Destiny?  That happened.  It can't unhappen.  See also Destiny, Lyta Hall, Cain, Abel, and Matthew "the Raven" Cable, all major characters who each were created by others and had previously inhabited the shared DC universe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 16, 2013, 02:47:11 AM
So Ide, what do you want to see from the sequel to Man of Steel?

I think it would be a great twist if they have Lex not be evil, or at least as unevil as billionare business titan can be. ;) 

They way I would do it is play up Lex as a Steve Jobseque antihero/fanatic with good intentions. With all the collateral damage we saw, a fear of Superman, even if you know he has good intentions is well founded. They could also make it more personal with Lex's wife, parents or children dying in the attack.

Have Lex rebuild Metropolis, and where Wayne struggles to rebuild Gotham, have him succeed magnificently, creating a shinning city on a hill. In the process he becomes even richer and more politically powerful.

The government salvaged lots of Kryptonian technology, have LexCorp get contracts on reverse engineering it, particularly the armor, weapons and artificial intelligence...

Lex builds an android he calls Brainiac which he plans to use against Superman if he ever gets out of hand, but the android is compelled by deeply embedded Kryptonian programing to follow Zod's last orders and destroy the human race.

Didn't mean to ignore you Tim, but I didn't see this last month.  However, I've gotta stop you right there.

No Coluan origin to Brainiac?  I'm not having it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Big deal.  Sir Prize and Miss Terious will save the day.
Kinemalogue