And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 13, 2013, 04:26:13 AM
What the...is this true Ide?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534271&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post413921635
QuoteCoincidentally, it's said that when Barry died, he ran so fast that he turned into a bolt of lightning that went back in time and zapped himself to give him superpowers.

No. Flash doesn't exist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

QuoteThe blogosphere is going wild as Marvel chief Kevin Feige does interviews for Iron Man 3 and acknowledges that Daredevil has returned to the Marvel fold at Disney. We told you this was going to happen last August, when a last ditch attempt to shape a movie with Joe Carnahan cratered. Ben Affleck starred in the original film, and he's doing way more interesting things now as a writer/director/actor/producer. Without him, it was pretty clear that Fox wasn't confident about bankrolling a superhero-sized movie based on the character and that the brass at the studio wasn't at all upset about coming out on the losing end of the witching hour of when Marvel and Disney got back those rights. The intrigue will be to see if Marvel vamps the blind lawyer character, and whether he begins showing up in other superhero movies and maybe a sequel to The Avengers. They certainly have made The Hulk viable after he was pretty much thought to be dead as disco

Viking

Quote from: katmai on April 23, 2013, 04:10:17 PM
QuoteThe blogosphere is going wild as Marvel chief Kevin Feige does interviews for Iron Man 3 and acknowledges that Daredevil has returned to the Marvel fold at Disney. We told you this was going to happen last August, when a last ditch attempt to shape a movie with Joe Carnahan cratered. Ben Affleck starred in the original film, and he's doing way more interesting things now as a writer/director/actor/producer. Without him, it was pretty clear that Fox wasn't confident about bankrolling a superhero-sized movie based on the character and that the brass at the studio wasn't at all upset about coming out on the losing end of the witching hour of when Marvel and Disney got back those rights. The intrigue will be to see if Marvel vamps the blind lawyer character, and whether he begins showing up in other superhero movies and maybe a sequel to The Avengers. They certainly have made The Hulk viable after he was pretty much thought to be dead as disco

Daredevil is my favorite Marvel character. I like the new Matt Murdock almost as much as the one from the '80s. I like the person, his personality, his values and most importantly I like the power-set. The power set permits exposition, which is probably the most important suspension of disbelief there is and in battle daredevil wins by being more experience at the asymetric nature of his powers rather than the strength of his powers. Another exceptionally good recurring factor with DD is the team-ups with other new-york based heroes against kingpin and his minions, it allowed DD to face more powerful and more dangerous foes with backup so returning to the mundanes ones later wasn't really a let down.

Plus DD gave us Stilt-Man the least evil of all supervillans and the unit definition for "Vader" as the unit of measure for evil. 

I did like the movie, but I liked it in the same way I liked mission impossible. It was a good action flick with a name tagged onto it. The hero/villains/love interest were generic and not consistent with the tropes of the character.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Man of Steel looks so fucking great, I can't wait. I don't think I've awaited a comic book movie like this since Spiderman 2.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Keith Giffen in the 80s: great artist or greatest artist?

And while we're on the subject of the Legion, WTF is the deal with Cosmic King?  Why does he dress like Cosmic Boy?  Saturn Queen: she's a Titanian, the naming similarity with Saturn Girl is either coincidence based on shared ancestry or a deliberate mirror.  Lightning Lord: Lightning Lad and Lightning Lass's brother, and all three have lightning powers granted by the lightning beasts of Korbal.  Cosmic King: a Venusian who got hit with a fucking transmutation ray that essentially gave him Tromian powers, whereas Cosmic Boy is a Braalian with magnetic powers, who as far as I know never even met Cosmic King before they started having superhero/supervillain fights.  Did the other two just make him conform to their zany negative Legion theme?  Does that make him intensely lame, and explain why no one has given a shit about Cosmic King, ever?  Probably.

But here's a more fun Legion question: who's luckier, Colossal Boy, who has a shape-changing wife, or Bouncing Boy, who has two twin wives?  All things being equal, obviously Colossal Boy; but all things are not equal, so I say Bouncing Boy, because he found the only attractive woman in the galaxy with a fetish for mordbidly obese morons that chug down full bottles of experimental serum, and who coincidentally could also split into multiple women to service his bulk.  Gross.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

So, the long run of Geoff Johns on Green Lantern has ended.  On the one hand, it had fallen off a little bit, but it was still pretty much all DC had going for it.

And yes, Giffen was really good Ide.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

GOOD GOD I CAN'T REMEMBER BEING SO HYPED FOR A MOIVE!!!!!!!111111111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOF03DUoWc

1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Darth Wagtaros

Meh. Not terribly interested. Last two Superman movies sucked. For that matter the last Batman movie was boring. 
PDH!

Neil

I thought it looked good, but Tim might just have ruined it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Saw it.

The dialogue was sparse, the story straightforward and simple and moved at a tremendous speed. Nonetheless this was one of the most ambitious science fiction movies I've ever seen and the action was absolutely jaw dropping.

I definitely recommend it.

There is one moment in particular that will cause purists to froth at the mouth.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

The tornado?

I haven't see it yet but was partially spoiled about this, so don't give details.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

I was thinking of something else.

1 Karma Chameleon point