News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Snyder/Nolan/Goyer's Superman is just so chock full of fun, that I can't wait for the next installment.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Marvel Unlimited have just added 500 Star Wars comics to their library.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I see they also seem to have the series based on one of the first script drafts. :w00t:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on April 20, 2015, 12:35:13 PM
Marvel Unlimited have just added 500 Star Wars comics to their library.

I love that show.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

I loved the old Marvel stuff.  The Zeltrons, the Nagai. the Hoojibs.  All plenty of fun.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

Zeltrons aka space sluts. :lol:

The old comics were awesome (well, some were silly, like Han Solo basically doing a Seven Samurai story in the first couple of issues with a giant green rabbit and Don-Wan Kihotay). :bleeding:

—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2015, 06:08:31 PM
Snyder/Nolan/Goyer's Superman is just so chock full of fun, that I can't wait for the next installment.
I had fun watching it. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Anyways, what surprised me a bit is that Marvel added a whole lot of comics from Dark Horse's run (they had the rights 1991 -2014), like Crimson Empire, Legacy or KotOR, so I guess Marvel either had a deal that those would revert to them when DH's license ran out, or they paid them for the rights as part of Disney/Marvel's Star Wars hype this year.

At any right, I have plenty of (re-)reading material.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2015, 01:11:51 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 19, 2015, 06:08:31 PM
I had fun watching it. :)

I did too, but it had some awful tonal whiplashes.  It's actually a pretty great movie if you deleted literally less than sixty seconds (maybe thirty) but that minute or half-minute sticks in the craw so bad...

I did not like the cinematography in it very much, in terms of its bled-dry palette, which really dulled the sense of wonder.  I did look at the trailer for SvB, and that problem seems to have been largely corrected--it looks more like a Snyder film (more monochromed, but warm) than a Nolan one (simply gray, and cold), which is good, if still pretty far from ideal.

However, I thought they couldn't possibly do a Batman voice more laughable than Bale's bellowing.  Dear Lord.  You hire Ben Affleck, just... let the man fucking speak.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

That would be wicked awesome if Batman talked like Tim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2015, 05:07:52 AM

However, I thought they couldn't possibly do a Batman voice more laughable than Bale's bellowing.  Dear Lord.  You hire Ben Affleck, just... let the man fucking speak.
He's one of the most famous billionaires in America. I don't think him using a voice modulator is too out there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

It's not, but I'd prefer to simply suspend my disbelief.
Kinemalogue

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Best part is that he was playing Superman in that movie.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?