News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 28, 2015, 09:17:44 AM
Captain Marvel? DC kind of wrecked he and Mary Marvel in the last years.
Thankfully there are decades worth of material to choose from.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2015, 07:03:07 AM
Just watched the 2010 short, Superman, Shazam and the Return of Black Adam. It was a nice Captain Marvel origin story.

Can Ide or any of you guys recommend any particular run of his to read?

There's a Starman/Power of Shazam crossover from the 1990s that isn't really that great, but does have one great book in it, where Captain Marvel comes to Opal City and is forced by circumstance to beat the ever-loving shit out of Jack Knight.  Fantastic Tony Harris art.

Looked at a page from that Starlord/Kitty Pryde book.  Good grief, contemporary comics can be ugly, can't they?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2015, 09:49:30 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 28, 2015, 09:17:44 AM
Captain Marvel? DC kind of wrecked he and Mary Marvel in the last years.
Thankfully there are decades worth of material to choose from.
as a DC product he really has only been around from 72-78, then rift after crisis mid 80's and then early 90's stuff. 
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2015, 09:55:45 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 28, 2015, 07:03:07 AM
Just watched the 2010 short, Superman, Shazam and the Return of Black Adam. It was a nice Captain Marvel origin story.

Can Ide or any of you guys recommend any particular run of his to read?

There's a Starman/Power of Shazam crossover from the 1990s that isn't really that great, but does have one great book in it, where Captain Marvel comes to Opal City and is forced by circumstance to beat the ever-loving shit out of Jack Knight.  Fantastic Tony Harris art.

Looked at a page from that Starlord/Kitty Pryde book.  Good grief, contemporary comics can be ugly, can't they?

Nope, at least not this example
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Meh.  I didn't like the layouts.  The linework is maybe functional.  Coloring isn't technically bad, although it's not attractive.  Also you can see the deadline-driven compromises.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I like Garth Ennis's writing, and Steve Dillon's art, and Preacher is one of my favorite comic books ever - Cassidy's character arc is simply awesome.

And while I've read and liked Ennis's 2004 run on Punisher for some reason I've not read his collaboration with Steve Dillon on the subject starting in 2000.

I'm mostly reading it on the subway on my phone, and three issues in I'm getting rather worried that fellow travelers think I'm crazy because I keep grinning and laughing all the time. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I always knew Spidey was black.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Comics can be so ridiculous, I have no idea if this cover is real or not.

EDIT: Wait, these are marvel properties, so fake.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

The Starfire book that came out last year is amazing. A much needed reboot from the New 52 atrocity. She's like an adorable older version of the Starfire from the classic Teen Titans cartoon.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

This painting is titled "Parlor tricks for the rabble" :D

1 Karma Chameleon point