News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

QuoteAnyone with super powers is being required to register with the U.S. government and basically work for the authorities.

All fucking ten of them!  Is there possibly a single storyline less suited to the Marvel Cinematic Universe?  Leaving aside What If stories and the like, I honestly can't think of one.

Also, the only interesting part of Civil War involved Spider-Man.  Also also, Iron Man was right and Cap is a dirty libertarian traitor.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I thought Civil War was decent, especially with the tie ins that gave a bit of a more balanced view point.

In unrelated stuff:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I'm reading the 2008 Punisher series on my work. When the fuck did Marvel get so violent/dark? Punisher MAX was also very violent/gory, but it was so in an over the top action movie kind of way.

Also, some of the writing sucks balls. Cliffhanger: Punisher, armed with a knife, staring down a squad of armed (criminal) SWAT team at three feet. How does he get out of it?

NO IDEA, because in the next issue he's killed them off panel and there's no explanation how/why.

I keep reading for the moment, because the comic addresses the salient point of what a fucked up psycho Frank Castle is by now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

:lol: Billy does have a fucked up life

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Or, the much more depressing (and one of the only good moments in the DK2) version...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

It seems that Dark Horse's Star Wars license was not extended. At any rate, Star Wars comics are back at Marvel, with several series (Darth Vader, Princess Leia, etc.). I guess they will chuck the previous continuities in comics and EU out of the window?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Neil

I would imagine.  But then again, with the new films, isn't the EU pretty much dead anyways?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

Most of it sucks anyway. Though I liked the old Tales of the Jedi stuff.
PDH!

Ideologue

I wanted Admiral Thrawn movies, if for no other reason than he looks cool.  Cast Fassbender.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2015, 08:00:38 PM
Most of it sucks anyway. Though I liked the old Tales of the Jedi stuff.

It was mostly the stuff that didn't focus on the main characters that I found interesting, and most of the Old Republic stuff.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Looks like Bruce Wayne has to be added to CdM's anime list  :lol:

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Damn, this sounds awesome

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-228-dick-tracy-annie-crossover-ending/
Ask Chris #228: Dick Tracy, Annie, And The Ending To The Weirdest Crossover Of The Year
by Chris Sims January 16, 2015 12:00 PM

Q: How did Dick Tracy solve the case of Li'l Orphan Annie's disappearance and was it appropriately insane? — @willwise3

A: Oh Will. Will, Will, Will. I want to take a moment to thank you for letting me talk about what is unquestionably the single greatest crossover of the year. For those of you who may have missed it, the Little Orphan Annie comic strip ended a while back with what has to be the most harrowing cliffhanger to ever hit the newspaper page. After eighty years of adventures, Annie went out in the middle of a story where she'd been kidnapped by an actual war criminal called the Butcher of the Balkans, locked up on a boat bound for an unknown shore, with Daddy Warbucks wondering if he would ever see his beloved daughter again. Seriously, that was the last strip, and Annie's final fate until it was announced that Dick Tracy would step up and solve the case last summer.

As for whether or not that story was "insane," well, let me put it this way: It involves SUPER-POWERED MOON PEOPLE, ATOMIC WEAPONS, AND A TIME MACHINE.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Just read the Power Girl vs Vartox arc, so amazing!  :lmfao:

Some scans
http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1356129.html

1 Karma Chameleon point