News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Unified Comics Thread

Started by Syt, March 13, 2009, 10:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So the boys are big superhero fans, and I decided it might be fun to go buy a comic book or two to go read with the boys.  So I walked into a comic book shop for the first time in, oh, 20 years?

I walked out with two books that I thought the boys might like.  First was Adventures of Superman.  I quick flip through made it seem like it would be good for a 3 and 5 year old.  But on reading, while the story was fairly clean of gratuitous language or excessive violence, the storyline itself seemed too complicated for them.

The second book however... Batman '66.  They loved it.  :punk:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Korea on July 11, 2015, 11:22:04 PM
Lol, why would it be Ide???

Maybe he hasn't upgraded his computer since you split up.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2015, 06:24:02 AM
Btw, SF Debris is currently running a series about the comics business since the 80s: http://sfdebris.com/videos/special.php

I've been following that.  Chuck's about the only Blip guy I routinely follow anymore.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Yeah, he's pretty good at what he does.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I'm actually enjoying Ultimate X-Men far more than I thought I would (I tried other Ultimate series before and usually bumped off).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Apparently Gotham is going to be across the bay from Metropolis in BvS.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/dawn-of-justice-gotham-metropolis/

Despite, what the above article says, that's often been the case in the comics, and I'm surprised, but pleased they're going with it here. That's the way it should be.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So Metropolis = Frisco and Gotham = Oakland?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 18, 2015, 07:21:58 AM
So Metropolis = Frisco and Gotham = Oakland?
Yeah, but on the East Coast. NYC vs NJ.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Metropolis, DE and Gotham, NJ.  That's been my conception of it.

I do like those older comics where it appears Smallville is in Maryland.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Just watched the 2010 short, Superman, Shazam and the Return of Black Adam. It was a nice Captain Marvel origin story.

Can Ide or any of you guys recommend any particular run of his to read?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Captain Marvel? DC kind of wrecked he and Mary Marvel in the last years. 
PDH!

katmai

There is no Captain Marvel at DC comics wags.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on July 28, 2015, 09:25:29 AM
There is no Captain Marvel at DC comics wags.

Well, he used to be called that before they made his catch phrase his name (to avoid issues with Marvel's Captain Marvel).
—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

:yes:

I was just trying to make sure wags doesn't get sued by Disney.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son