Elementary school shooting gun control pissing contest

Started by Grey Fox, December 14, 2012, 01:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

People rarely shoot each other without guns, and they're much easier to regulate than people.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 15, 2012, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2012, 02:58:50 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2012, 11:35:03 AM
- ie the guns dont shoot people, people shoot people

You got it right, see that wasnt hard.

Define gun nut.

You.   ;)  Not that that's a bad thing, in and of itself;  it's the gun nuts that are nuts elsewhere in life that are the problem.    :P

However, using the "guns don't kill people" argument as a defense is both fallacious and morally bankrupt.  It's unfortunate that someone as intelligent as yourself subscribes to it.

Lets just say, if guns were to be "outlawed" or "banned" in this country a;

Gun nut=  someone who who will not give up their guns no matter what.

Me= turn in the guns. Not a gun nut.

and I dont subscribe to "guns dont kill people". They do. They are the implements, nothing more.

Extensive. Gun. Control. will not prevent what happened.

Outlaw and aggressive enforcement is the only way. What do "you" want to give up?

Ranged weapon. Much more effective and less expensive chioces out there for what the shooter wanted to do.

That may work for scotland, but the US..... eh. It would take a herculean effort just to collect and enforce at this point. Not to mention the 2nd Amend issue.

True, I think the estimate of POWs in the US is 270 Million. I think it's higher.

Most people I know own more than a few.

Being an LEO, you just cant get to the scene fast enough. Sadly when it starts, people are dying until you do. Those first few responding LEO's today, were their local cops. Can you imagine the absolute helplessness hearing that dispatched over the radio. You are automatically reactive.

You can regulate the guns all you want. They are not the variable in the equation. We are.

I disagree. Guns either 1. Do nothing 2. when used, destroy what's in their trajectory

The gun isnt going to shoot by itself. The gun doesnt decide that.

The person decides to pull the trigger at another human being.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on December 15, 2012, 03:51:35 PM
People rarely shoot each other without guns, and they're much easier to regulate than people.

Awesome revelation there.

FYI, you can shoot somebody with a crossbow.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2012, 04:05:53 PM

Thus, 'people rarely shoot each other without guns' rather than 'people can't shoot each other without guns'.

You should feel ashamed of yourself.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

:lol:  How many accurate crossbow shots do you think you get get off in a crowded confused room in 3 minutes?

EDIT:  I say a gun nut is anyone who can say "guns don't kill people, people do" with a straight face today.

DGuller

That's an idiotic argument.  You can use a lot of weapons, however not all weapons are equally effective in the hands of mass murderer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2012, 04:05:17 PM

This sentence to me makes no sense at all. If you make it an hassle casual gun owners will not own guns. If less people own guns then there is a better chance that gun culture will go away.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on December 15, 2012, 04:41:11 PM

That's an idiotic argument.  You can use a lot of weapons, however not all weapons are equally effective in the hands of mass murderer.

Ya think

11B4V

Quote from: sbr on December 15, 2012, 04:28:13 PM

:lol:  How many accurate crossbow shots do you think you get get off in a crowded confused room in 3 minutes?

EDIT:  I say a gun nut is anyone who can say "guns don't kill people, people do" with a straight face today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4RKoRyTik  :lol:

sbr

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2012, 04:46:56 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 15, 2012, 04:28:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4RKoRyTik  :lol:

So assuming you own the one of those that exists,  your answer is 12.  That's lessr than 26. :smarty:

11B4V

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 15, 2012, 04:42:17 PM

This sentence to me makes no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. What are you going to do about the guns already in circulation?

QuoteIf you make it an hassle casual gun owners will not own guns.

I disagree.

QuoteIf less people own guns then there is a better chance that gun culture will go away.

What are are you going to do with the exsisting guns in circulation? est 270 million guns in US. Easier said than done. Also what about enforcement? Underground trading, black market?

11B4V

Quote from: Neil on December 15, 2012, 04:27:31 PM

Thus, 'people rarely shoot each other without guns' rather than 'people can't shoot each other without guns'.

You should feel ashamed of yourself.

I dont

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on December 15, 2012, 03:46:05 PM
Well I dare not mention Derspicy as fraid he will shoot me.

Hey now, you're the dangerous minority.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: 11B4V on December 15, 2012, 05:05:11 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 15, 2012, 04:42:17 PM

This sentence to me makes no sense at all.

Makes perfect sense. What are you going to do about the guns already in circulation?

QuoteIf you make it an hassle casual gun owners will not own guns.

I disagree.

QuoteIf less people own guns then there is a better chance that gun culture will go away.

What are are you going to do with the exsisting guns in circulation? est 270 million guns in US. Easier said than done. Also what about enforcement? Underground trading, black market?

Is that your typical response to difficult problems, just admit defeat and give up?  Or is it that your selfish need to prove your "manhood" by these virtual penis extensions just overrides what matters to anyone else?

Not one person here has advocated for the immediate banning of guns and sending in the SWAT/military to take them.  That is not going to happen; but starting the process of reigning things in slowly is a different story and is something that should be starting.  Many years too late, but better late than never.

MadImmortalMan

That this thread is twice as long as the one it spawned from tells you something about human nature right there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers