Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on December 17, 2012, 09:07:11 AM
:huh: Mono, in US, even home schools have a full time psychiatrist.  Those prescriptions for ADD medicine don't write themselves.  Besides, if she were commuting to 30-50 different schools, she'd need her own private jet.

They're the main drivers in identifying and dealing with learning disabilities, in addition to behavioral issues.

Most affluent school districts, such as the one Sandy Hook is in, usually has a full-time psychiatrist attached to a school.   Now, Detroit's public school system, maybe not so much.

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 08:22:25 AM
That's a strange thing for a mother to say, I wonder if it was meant as "he's prone to dangerous behavior" or more "he can't be trusted not to injure himself." Something I've heard from mental health professionals is these days parents won't turn their kids over to group homes or institutions like they would have in the 60s/70s. The feeling is, if you have a messed up kid it's your job to give up your career and do everything possible to keep them in the home. But sometimes kids are too profoundly mentally ill, developmentally disabled or etc to be safely cared for in the home, by even the most attentive parents.

Perhaps but this could just as well mean the mother is a paranoid lunatic and this could have been her way of saying "make sure you take good care of my kid".

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 08:22:25 AM
That's a strange thing for a mother to say, I wonder if it was meant as "he's prone to dangerous behavior" or more "he can't be trusted not to injure himself." Something I've heard from mental health professionals is these days parents won't turn their kids over to group homes or institutions like they would have in the 60s/70s. The feeling is, if you have a messed up kid it's your job to give up your career and do everything possible to keep them in the home. But sometimes kids are too profoundly mentally ill, developmentally disabled or etc to be safely cared for in the home, by even the most attentive parents.

I was under the impression parents who desperately want their dangerous kids turned over to institutions and group homes cannot get help, that their kids actually have to commit a crime before anybody will help them.  I guess both could be true.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 17, 2012, 09:14:04 AM
Perhaps but this could just as well mean the mother is a paranoid lunatic and this could have been her way of saying "make sure you take good care of my kid".

It could but the circumstances sort of suggest otherwise.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:21:08 AM

My suspicion is: a hefty dose of hindsight leading to a moment of fame for said babysitter.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:21:08 AM

Well, we also know that the mother is a paranoid lunatic, so it's a toss.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on December 17, 2012, 09:27:15 AM
My suspicion is: a hefty dose of hindsight leading to a moment of fame for said babysitter.

Well considering he is using the moment of fame to raise money for the Newton kids I guess we can let that go.

Valmy

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 08:57:48 AM
Most school districts have psychologists that are usually attached to only one school, Mono, depending on budget and student size.  That one was hers.
:yes: My mom was actually one of those until she retired this past summer.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:20:33 AMI was under the impression parents who desperately want their dangerous kids turned over to institutions and group homes cannot get help, that their kids actually have to commit a crime before anybody will help them.  I guess both could be true.

It depends on where you want them, if you say your kid has a mental or behavioral problem and needs treatment, all of the 50 states, to my knowledge, have quasi-public institutions that handle these cases. In the 70s/80s the trend started where you moved away from State institutions aside from basically the criminally insane and the extremely hard to handle cases (in Virginia State mental hospitals are over 50% filled with people a court has deemed not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity.)

In the place of the old system of State ran "reform schools" and etc, you have adult group homes, child group homes etc. They are ran by quasi-public "companies" that are private/for-profit usually but heavily government ran (similar to the utility company model.) These companies do not require any legal commitment for a parent to house a problem child. But they do have limited beds, so you might end up on a waiting list. Usually these entities will accept the child and that acceptance makes the parents able to receive at least part of the funding from Federal sources.

Now if you have a problem child and you do not want to wait on a bed to open up, or in the rare cases the private entity simply says they are not interested or do not think your child belongs there, you can send them to one of the group homes totally outside the State system. These however are usually unsubsidized by State & Federal government and costs for annual treatment are in the tens of thousands.

Valmy

:huh: Mono, in US, even home schools have a full time psychiatrist.  Those prescriptions for ADD medicine don't write themselves.

Psychiatrist /= psychologist.  The lady who got gunned down did not have prescription writing ability.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2012, 09:38:06 AM
:huh: Mono, in US, even home schools have a full time psychiatrist.  Those prescriptions for ADD medicine don't write themselves.

Psychiatrist /= psychologist.  The lady who got gunned down did not have prescription writing ability.

D was clearly making a joke.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 17, 2012, 09:34:47 AM
It depends on where you want them, if you say your kid has a mental or behavioral problem and needs treatment, all of the 50 states, to my knowledge, have quasi-public institutions that handle these cases. In the 70s/80s the trend started where you moved away from State institutions aside from basically the criminally insane and the extremely hard to handle cases (in Virginia State mental hospitals are over 50% filled with people a court has deemed not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity.)

In the place of the old system of State ran "reform schools" and etc, you have adult group homes, child group homes etc. They are ran by quasi-public "companies" that are private/for-profit usually but heavily government ran (similar to the utility company model.) These companies do not require any legal commitment for a parent to house a problem child. But they do have limited beds, so you might end up on a waiting list. Usually these entities will accept the child and that acceptance makes the parents able to receive at least part of the funding from Federal sources.

Now if you have a problem child and you do not want to wait on a bed to open up, or in the rare cases the private entity simply says they are not interested or do not think your child belongs there, you can send them to one of the group homes totally outside the State system. These however are usually unsubsidized by State & Federal government and costs for annual treatment are in the tens of thousands.

Yeah I used to work at a place for really troubled kids and we did have a few privately funded kids who were getting treatment on their parents' (usually adopted for some reason) cash.  But generally if they were there on the public dime they were either in the foster care system or the juvenile detention system.  But how it actually works, like if I thought one of my sons was legitimately dangerously mentally ill, I am not sure specifically.  I guess I should ask my parents they both work in this field.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 17, 2012, 09:40:09 AM
ITS NOT A CLIP ITS A MAGAZINE

Well yes a psychologist and psychiatrist work together. It was a little awkward when I dropped my psychiatrist but kept my psychologist as both worked in the same 3-person practice. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.