Elementary school shooting reported in Newtown, Conn.

Started by garbon, December 14, 2012, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

The picture of the kids being led out of the school was uncomfortable, but I don't have a real problem with it.  The dudes interviewing 7 year olds t the scene was pretty shitty though and made me mad.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on December 14, 2012, 06:01:15 PM
The picture of the kids being led out of the school was uncomfortable, but I don't have a real problem with it.  The dudes interviewing 7 year olds t the scene was pretty shitty though and made me mad.

That's fair.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: sbr on December 14, 2012, 06:01:15 PM

Agreed.

Also, here's an article about the questioning of the elder brother. LINK

I honestly want to cry for that man. He must be completely in shock right now.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

I stopped following this after 22 dead kids. One is too much. Sadly another statistic added to our active shooter training.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on December 14, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
I stopped following this after 22 dead kids. One is too much. Sadly another statistic added to our active shooter training.

The reality of this is really too horrible to contemplate.  When I think of those kids, their families and friends I cant adequately express my sorrow.

Jacob

Yeah... I'm doing my best not to think of it, to be honest. It's just too terrible.

jimmy olsen

So horrible, it's beyond words to describe. It makes your heart sick to think of it. I actually wept reading this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

He killed his mother at home, and then went to the school. His intent appears to have been to kill children before he killed himself.

His brother said that he suffered from a "personality disorder". Originally, reports were claiming some form of autism, too, but that seems to have stopped.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Most unfortunate.  I don't think 'horror' is the right word, but I am not pleased.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Quote from: Maximus on December 14, 2012, 05:27:11 PM
My not-so-professional guess: attention. You want to shock the world, how do you do it? The bar is set pretty high. There are entire subcultures out there whose entire purpose is to one-up each other in shocking society. But murdering your entire family, then a bunch of kindergartners in front of your mother, then killing her too... that's going to get everyone's attention. You'll be immortal. You might even get acronymized, like that guy in Norway. All you have to do is become a psychopath.

I actually see this as a massively warped and very personal issue.  The guy killed his mom, shot her in the face it seems, then he goes and kills the thing she loved - her kids at school.  Getting his name in the books was not the horrible twist, it is the personal tragedy of killing his mom and then killing her "kids."  This coming from her son makes it incredibly personal and horribly wrong in its twisted intent.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

They showed interviews with three more kids on the evening news, and I must say all the kids so far have been eerily composed.  :huh:

Scipio

This is truly horrific.  I cannot possibly imagine what the families are going through.

I see a lot of terrible crime in my capacity as the felony prosecutor in Hattiesburg, and we had a mass shooting in May, committed by my friend's son.  He was off his meds and got drunk in his local Tex-Mex joint, a Hattiesburg staple.  Then he came back and shot the place up.  Luckily, no one died.  That was a shocking event.  Even our gang violence is pretty pathetic in scope; the worst we get is Vice Lords violating gang rules and inappropriately disciplining each other.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Scipio on December 14, 2012, 09:44:08 PM
the worst we get is Vice Lords violating gang rules and inappropriately disciplining each other.

Hot? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.