News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which country does Christmas the best?

Started by derspiess, December 05, 2012, 11:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taking into account traditions & contributions to how everyone celebrates, which country do you think does Christmas in the best way?

Britain:  Dickens-- nuff said
2 (6.9%)
Germany/Austria:  Weihnachtsmarkt, Christmas Tree, Krampus
14 (48.3%)
Netherlands:  Black Piet, lol
1 (3.4%)
USA:  Modern version of Santa Claus, commercialization out the wazoo
6 (20.7%)
Spain/Latin America:  Nochebuena, gifts from the three wise men
1 (3.4%)
Denmark: Nisse, Julaften, Grod, other weird-looking words
2 (6.9%)
Russia:  Gotta be different and wait til January
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

derspiess

Back near where I used to live the local convention center had a yearly exposition where you'd tour different areas to see Christmas traditions from various different countries.  They went all-out, complete with creepy Dickensian carolers.

Anywho, I've never been able to decide which country I thought does Christmas the best.  So I picked the what I think are the top several off the top of my head.  What do you think?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

:hmm:

Very hard question. Can't really settle on any. Except Russia, Russia is stoopid.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

The total and complete triumph of naked, venal capitalism and materialism over a centuries-old religious holiday revered throughout the western world?  Why, America of course.  It's the bestest.

DGuller

For Russia it should really be New Year, it's a lot closer to American Christmas than Russian Christmas is.  My vote goes for Russia as well:  they get more than a week of holidays around that time to marinate their livers.

derspiess

Just realized I forgot an "other" option.  Oh well, screw it. 

Btw I found what has to be the best Christmas card ever:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Germany - sexually perverted demons and getting drunk on mulled wine is what the Christmas spirit is all about.

Brazen

The USA. I've always wanted to spend Christmas in New York, and watch It's A Wonderful Life every year :wub:

And White Christmas. And A Muppet Christmas Carol. And Bad Santa.

Admiral Yi

Lights on the houses has to be one of the nicest parts of the American Christmas.  I said lights dammit, not gigantic inflatable reindeer.

The one Christmas I spent in Germany made me think it's the most depressing, stressful time of the year there.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 12:27:29 PM
Lights on the houses has to be one of the nicest parts of the American Christmas.  I said lights dammit, not gigantic inflatable reindeer.

The one Christmas I spent in Germany made me think it's the most depressing, stressful time of the year there.

:huh:

I've always heard that Germany/Austria was beautiful during the winter holidays.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

QuoteNetherlands:  Black Piet, lol

It's not Christmas. :ultra:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Christmas around the world, per the old Mexican film "Santa Claus"  :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NQ64YNyQCwg#t=191s

Obviously the movie as a whole was better on MST3K, but this part does well enough on its own.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 12:47:05 PM
Christmas around the world, per the old Mexican film "Santa Claus"  :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NQ64YNyQCwg#t=191s

Obviously the movie as a whole was better on MST3K, but this part does well enough on its own.

And the MST3K version, which is still apparently on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iXKOF6rntUg#t=567s

The Larch

Voted for ourselves and the great tradition of dragging the holidays until early January.

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on December 05, 2012, 01:07:17 PM
Voted for ourselves and the great tradition of dragging the holidays until early January.

There's something to that.  I always thought Christmas ended too abruptly.