Swedish painter stole ashes of Holocaust victims, used them to paint

Started by jimmy olsen, December 06, 2012, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Despicable!  :mad:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20622289
QuoteSwedish artist uses 'ashes from Holocaust victims'

A painting by a Swedish artist which he says was made with ashes from a former Nazi concentration camp has been displayed in a gallery in Sweden.

Artist Carl Michael von Hausswolff said that he stole the ashes from the Majdanek camp during a visit in 1989.

The camp, now a museum in Poland, has called the alleged theft an "unimaginably barbaric act".

The artist said the ashes were mixed with water and used to paint a series of grey streaks in the small painting.

Museum officials have said that the painting may be an artistic provocation but it deserves only condemnation.
'Repulsive'

An estimated 80,000 people were murdered by the Nazis in Majdanek, three-quarters of them Jews.

The Soviet army discovered the camp in Majdanek in Nazi-occupied Poland in July 1944. It was one of several concentration and death camps built to kill Jews from Poland and elsewhere.

The museum has said it hopes the authorities will quickly establish whether the remains of the camp's victims had been stolen and desecrated and added it was sure the artist did not obtain them legally.

In a text on the Lund gallery's website, the artist is quoted as describing collecting "some ashes from cremation ovens" during a visit to the camp in 1989.

He decided not to use them immediately, he said, because "the material was too heavily loaded with the atrocities that had taken place at the site".

However, he writes that in 2010 he decided to use the ashes mixed with water and describes figures appearing on the page "as if the ash contained energies or memories or 'souls' from people... people tortured, tormented and murdered by other people in one of the 20th Century's most ruthless wars".

Salomon Schulman, a key figure in Sweden's Jewish community, told Swedish television that the art was "repulsive in the extreme", according to news website The Local.

Writing in the Sydsvenskan newspaper, Mr Schulman questioned whether it should be called art.

"Who knows, some of the ashes might come from some of my relatives," he wrote.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Malthus made jewelry out of Jewish baby teeth. Alls fair game in art.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on December 06, 2012, 06:43:35 PM
Malthus made jewelry out of Jewish baby teeth. Alls fair game in art.

Not baby teeth, wisdom teeth. My wisdom teeth.  :P

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Puts my painting using fecal matter from paying Prometheus movie-goers to shame. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Yawn. This is really pretty low on the "outrage" scale.

Btw, Tim, would it be less "despicable" if he used ashes from people who are not Holocaust victims?

Camerus

Meh, people have been making bucks off the Holocaust since the '30's.   :P