News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which country does Christmas the best?

Started by derspiess, December 05, 2012, 11:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taking into account traditions & contributions to how everyone celebrates, which country do you think does Christmas in the best way?

Britain:  Dickens-- nuff said
2 (6.9%)
Germany/Austria:  Weihnachtsmarkt, Christmas Tree, Krampus
14 (48.3%)
Netherlands:  Black Piet, lol
1 (3.4%)
USA:  Modern version of Santa Claus, commercialization out the wazoo
6 (20.7%)
Spain/Latin America:  Nochebuena, gifts from the three wise men
1 (3.4%)
Denmark: Nisse, Julaften, Grod, other weird-looking words
2 (6.9%)
Russia:  Gotta be different and wait til January
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Viking

Quote from: HVC on December 06, 2012, 12:41:00 AM
christmas cat? icelanders are just lazy if that's the best they got.

Aren't they thecountry where like 25% of the people believe in gnomes? you'd think they'd come up with something better

Iceland has a whole separate tradition unrelated to any other. The cat eats children who aren't wearing new christmas clothes, clothes which the won't get unless they are on their best behaviour. The cat belongs to a mother troll who has a deadbead husband who is constantly drunk and 13 malevolent sons who are the icelandic version of santa clause. They show up one per day in the 13 days before christmas each of which is expert in one form of thuggery or other, usually some form of sabotage towards the christmas preparations (stealing food, candles and breaking stuff).

Iceland also imported some hannukah traditions and icelandic kids put a shoe in their window and get a small present each of the 13 days before christmas from the foreign santa clause who is nice, unlike the icelandic ones.

http://www.iceland.is/iceland-abroad/us/education-and-culture/curiosities/christmas-in-iceland/

QuoteThe 'Christmas Cat'
An old Icelandic folklore states that everyone has to get one new piece of clothing at Christmas. Anyone who was left out was in danger of being eaten by a malicious beast called the Christmas Cat. The Christmas Cat is Grýla's cat (see Yule Lads) and every effort was made to ensure that no-one would "go to the Christmas Cat". Thus, everyone worked very hard to make a new piece of clothing for each member of the household.
The first stories about the Christmas Cat arose in the 19th century and were probably aimed at lazy children. It seemes to have worked as, to this day, everyone gets a new piece of clothing either before or at Christmas.
Similar stories exist about a bull in the Baltics and about a goat in Norway.
The Yule Lads
Icelanders have not one, but thirteen Santas, or Yule Lads. These lads are not related to Santa Claus in any way. They are descendants of trolls and were originally used to scare children. In the last century, however, they have become a lot friendlier.
The number of Yule Lads has varied throughout the centuries but now they are consistently thirteen. The number 13 was first seen in a poem in the 18th century and the names that they carry today was published in Jón Árnason's folklore collection of 1862. Their current names are: Stekkjastaur (Sheepfold Stick), Giljagaur (Gilly Oaf), Stúfur (Shorty), Þvörusleikir (Spoon-licker), Pottasleikir (Pot-licker), Askasleikir (Bowl-licker), Hurðaskellir (Door-slammer), Skyrgámur (Skyr-glutton), Bjúgnakrækir (Sausage-pilfer), Gluggagægir (Peeper), Gáttaþefur (Sniffer), Ketkrókur (Meat-hook) and Kertasníkir (Candle-begger). As you can tell from these names, the lads are very mischievous and they have retained their unique characteristics to this day. They live in the mountains with their parents, Grýla and Leppalúði. They come to town, one by one, in the days before Christmas. The first one arrives on December 12th and the last one on December 23rd. Formerly, they tried to pilfer their favorite things or play tricks on people (hence their names), but now their main role is to give children small gifts. Every child in Iceland puts their best shoe on their bedroom window sill on December 12th (some try to put their boot, in the hope that they may get more, but so far the Yule Lads haven't been fooled) and they get a small gift from each lad when he arrives in town. But beware not to be naughty or the lad might just leave a rotten potatoe in your shoe!
Their original clothing are rags that are similar to farmer's clothes in the 18th century. and they are often seen carrying their favorite food. Nowadays, however, they are usually seen in familiar red clothing with white beards and black boots.
They often make appearances at Christmas dances, which are very popular among Icelandic children. Children (adults are of course welcome to join them) dance around a Christmas tree and sing carols. The highlight of the dance is when one of the Yule Lads joins the celebration and dances and sings with the kids and usually gives them a goody bag before he leaves.
The day after Christmas the first lad returns to the mountains. Then they leave, one by one, until the last one leaves on January 6th, which is the last day of the Christmas season.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

The last couple of years Christmas seem to be all about putting the ugliest and brightest light displays on, dress up in Carlsberg's blue Christmas cloth while binge drinking November and December away.

No thanks. The Spanish version is equally annoying, just in a more fake plastic sort of way, so I'll go with the Russian if that's different. :P

PS. Gløg is an abomination.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Phillip V

Which country focuses most on the birth of baby Jesus?

CountDeMoney

Malthus

So Austria has Krampus, the pedophile S&M demon; Russia has the hott Snow Babe; and Iceland has the style-critic, kid-eating cat (and the 13 Christmas thugs).

Still liking Russia.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: syk on December 06, 2012, 01:24:04 AM
Never heard of this Krampus before.

It's a Germanic thing. Only they could turn Christmas into a festival of horror and sexual deviancy.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Phillip V on December 06, 2012, 03:58:34 AM

It is LARPed over here, mostly in the countryside. Not the actual birth, though, we're mostly about the adoration of the magi.

Also, there's not a single house in Spain without its own nativity scene diorama style:

merithyn

I love nativity sets. :wub:

I think I'm going to make one of my own in pottery just to have. More for my cultural history than my particular religious beliefs. We always had one up on Christmas. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

I need to get one of those.  Apparently I'm not going to be inheriting my parents' nativity set.  Problem is my 1-year old (who already things all the Christmas tree ornaments are her toys) would lose half the pieces.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 11:51:56 AM
I need to get one of those.  Apparently I'm not going to be inheriting my parents' nativity set.  Problem is my 1-year old (who already things all the Christmas tree ornaments are her toys) would lose half the pieces.

Give her her own set.

And teach her that this is hers, but THIS is Mama and Papa's.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on December 06, 2012, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 11:51:56 AM

Give her her own set.

And teach her that this is hers, but THIS is Mama and Papa's.

Yeah, that won't work.  If she gets it in her mind that both are hers, they're hers.  Maybe next year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Germany or the US.  I was in Prague for Christmas 08.  It was wonderful.  Very close to the German.

I'd probably choose German, in the end.  Mulled wine FTW.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2012, 11:46:40 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 06, 2012, 03:58:34 AM

It is LARPed over here, mostly in the countryside. Not the actual birth, though, we're mostly about the adoration of the magi.

Also, there's not a single house in Spain without its own nativity scene diorama style:

What was it with the Spanish custom of having a guy with a naked butt in the nativity scene?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2012, 12:43:13 PMWhat was it with the Spanish custom of having a guy with a naked butt in the nativity scene?

That's a Catalan thingie, the caganer. And it's not just there with a naked butt, it's supposed to be taking a dump.

It's meant to be semi-hidden in the background so kids have to look for it.

derspiess