News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which country does Christmas the best?

Started by derspiess, December 05, 2012, 11:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taking into account traditions & contributions to how everyone celebrates, which country do you think does Christmas in the best way?

Britain:  Dickens-- nuff said
2 (6.9%)
Germany/Austria:  Weihnachtsmarkt, Christmas Tree, Krampus
14 (48.3%)
Netherlands:  Black Piet, lol
1 (3.4%)
USA:  Modern version of Santa Claus, commercialization out the wazoo
6 (20.7%)
Spain/Latin America:  Nochebuena, gifts from the three wise men
1 (3.4%)
Denmark: Nisse, Julaften, Grod, other weird-looking words
2 (6.9%)
Russia:  Gotta be different and wait til January
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 01:09:13 PM
Quote from: The Larch on December 05, 2012, 01:07:17 PM
Voted for ourselves and the great tradition of dragging the holidays until early January.

There's something to that.  I always thought Christmas ended too abruptly.

Yeah, but for instance getting the presents so late makes for a somehow lame holiday season when you're a kid. What's the point of getting new stuff if you have to go back to school in a couple of days? Better to get them earlier and gorge yourself for a couple of weeks.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 05, 2012, 11:58:19 AM
Germany - sexually perverted demons and getting drunk on mulled wine is what the Christmas spirit is all about.

Can't beat the Krampus. He beats you:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 12:36:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 12:27:29 PM
Lights on the houses has to be one of the nicest parts of the American Christmas.  I said lights dammit, not gigantic inflatable reindeer.

The one Christmas I spent in Germany made me think it's the most depressing, stressful time of the year there.

:huh:

I've always heard that Germany/Austria was beautiful during the winter holidays.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 03:32:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 12:36:17 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 12:27:29 PM
Lights on the houses has to be one of the nicest parts of the American Christmas.  I said lights dammit, not gigantic inflatable reindeer.

The one Christmas I spent in Germany made me think it's the most depressing, stressful time of the year there.

:huh:

I've always heard that Germany/Austria was beautiful during the winter holidays.

These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Please elaborate.  I hear a lot about how awesome most towns in Germany are during the Christmas season but this is the first time I'm hearing how Germans get particularly stressed or depressed around that time of year.  I guess I just assumed they were extra jolly & festive around that time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 03:39:15 PM

Please elaborate.  I hear a lot about how awesome most towns in Germany are during the Christmas season but this is the first time I'm hearing how Germans get particularly stressed or depressed around that time of year.  I guess I just assumed they were extra jolly & festive around that time.

Keep in mind my sample size was very small.

I visited a half Korean/half German girl I had met at Korean language school in Seoul.  I was on break from French language school in Aix-en-Provence, in, duh, Provence.  She lived in Tubingen, which is an affluent college town not far from Munich.

I was expecting more or less what you described.  What I got instead was people getting freaked out and cranky.  My friend told me stories of buddies who hated Christmas so much they slept at the old folks' home they were doing their national service at.

Don't quote me on it, but I think our resident Kraut's have vouched for my impression.

Yes, the decorations were lovely, but the people seemed miserable.

Ed Anger

I can do without the fruitcake in the mail.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 04:20:49 PM

I've still never seen a fruitcake firsthand.  Always thought they were sort of an urban legend.  Something you always joked about but nobody actually does it anymore.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

I always assumed Munich was the place to be too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 04:22:53 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 04:20:49 PM

I've still never seen a fruitcake firsthand.  Always thought they were sort of an urban legend.  Something you always joked about but nobody actually does it anymore.

My wife's relatives are Southern Indiana folk. You better send them a retaliatory reciprocal fruitcake and Christmas card. OR ELSE.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

I think I'm going to make a fruitcake this year. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 04:54:37 PM

I thought your tubes were tied.

HAHAHAHAHA.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 05:02:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 05, 2012, 04:54:37 PM

I thought your tubes were tied.

HAHAHAHAHA.

They were not! :mad:

They were completely removed. The doctor wanted no chance of me making more fruitcakes. :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Camerus

Germany - sexually perverted demons and getting drunk on mulled wine is what the Christmas spirit is all about.

Malthus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on December 05, 2012, 06:20:42 PM

Bad enough that Krampus exists as a custom - but for what reason would anyone give a "Krampus card"?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on December 05, 2012, 06:41:20 PM
Bad enough that Krampus exists as a custom - but for what reason would anyone give a "Krampus card"?  :hmm:

Same reason so many other Christmas traditions exist-- to scare the kids into being good.