And we're back!

Main Menu

Father of the year.

Started by Ed Anger, November 28, 2012, 07:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2012, 02:26:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 02:19:08 PM
What if said 40-something got said tattoos in her 20s and 30s?

Some of the females who got them 20 years ago are the ones responsible for the current stereotype.

FYP

:)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 02:20:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 30, 2012, 02:19:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 02:15:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 01:25:34 PM
Not really.  I mean those tatoos are pretty sketchy but lots of perfectly prudish boring square women get tattoos these days.

Is that the descriptor you aim for? :unsure:

No, just seems to be the one I get. :(

Well, that or slut. :hmm:

Really?  I was just trying to vocalize the opposite of slut.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 03:03:45 PM

Some of the females who got them 20 years ago are the ones responsible for the current stereotype.

FYP

No, 20 years ago it wasnt the questionable fashion it is today.  It was biker chicks and the stereotypes we know so well.

Valmy

If you are literally talking about 1992 you are dead wrong.  Maybe if we are talking like 1982.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 04:08:54 PM
If you are literally talking about 1992 you are dead wrong.  Maybe if we are talking like 1982.

No you are.

But I am glad you are following form.

Step 1:  CC disagrees with Meri;

Step 2: Valmy comes valiantly to her defence;

Step 3: Max will come in shortly to say how awful and perhaps insane CC has become;

Step three has become my favourite lately.  One of the few reasons for still sticking around.  Hope he logs in soonish.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 04:08:54 PM

You forgot that he lives in Canada. Lag time?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 30, 2012, 02:23:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 30, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 30, 2012, 01:25:34 PM
Not really.  I mean those tatoos are pretty sketchy but lots of perfectly prudish boring square women get tattoos these days.

Which is stupid.  Nothing worse than a 40something that tries to act like a 20something, like getting a tramp stamp or fucking up their leg with a butterfly, or Howard the Duck inside her pantie line.

:unsure:

Then the tats turn into a beluga whale from all the stretching and weight gain.

I've known a girl whose butt cheek scorpion had turned into a lobster before she turned 30.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I got tattoos back in 93, does this make me a slut?  :hmm:

More on topic, she has ugly tats and why keep a datsun in good condition, not a american muscle car.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 30, 2012, 04:06:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 30, 2012, 03:03:45 PM

FYP

No, 20 years ago it wasnt the questionable fashion it is today.  It was biker chicks and the stereotypes we know so well.

Yer off a bit, hon. The female tattoo craze started when I was a kid, but became really popular in the middle-class groups while I was in college in the late 1980s. Unless you're claiming that average middle-class kids were biker chicks and sluts, in which case we'll have to just agree to disagree.

QuoteA Modern Tattoo Renaissance

American sailor Jerry Collins was a critical figure in reinventing and introducing tattoos in the middle class in the 1970s and 1980s. Sailor Jerry wanted to improve the Western style, which he saw as primitive and abrupt, and started to use the style, colors, and imagery of Japanese tattooing as well as their belief that the entire body acts as a canvas. He argued that the Japanese's sophisticated and spiritual style could move the American tattoo from is "primitive" state to a credible art form.

Lyle Tuttle also sought to bring tattooing into the mainstream, and due in part to his influence, tattoos changed during the 1970s more than in any other previous period in U.S. history. Not only did he advocate updating health regulations and creating tattoo magazines aimed at the middle class, Tuttle also created images that both were influenced by Collins' theories and also reflected the social movements of the time, such as the peace, gay, and women's movements. Previously, most tattoos relied on flash rather than personal creation and they were masculine in terms of imagery (masculine icons, aggressive animals, and motorcycle insignias), style (bold lines), and placement (the ubiquitous bicep tattoo). Tuttle's new designs were both more feminine and appealing to middle-class tastes than the classic working-class design. In addition, as tattooists started coming from more theoretical fine arts backgrounds, they brought with them more sophisticated images that began appearing on women's shoulders, breasts, and other angles. The 1980s reinterpretation of the Chicano and tribal style also introduced new images and symbols to the S&M and punk communities that were later appropriated by middle-class communities (DeMello 2007).

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 30, 2012, 04:45:19 PM
I got tattoos back in 93, does this make me a slut?  :hmm:

No, you're a dude.  Duh...
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

derspiess

Anyway, as much as I agree with CC's opinion about tattoos, I think they really got popular right around the early to mid-90s.  Meri's article states that the "craze" started in the 70s or 80s or whatever.  But that's sort of like saying the microbrewing movement started in the 70s.  It technically did get its start then, but it didn't really have a lot of momentum until the 90s.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 30, 2012, 04:33:28 PM
I've known a girl whose butt cheek scorpion had turned into a lobster before she turned 30.

I know.  And we warn them about this and they just went ahead and did it anyway.  Ah well.