News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Feminism

Started by merithyn, November 20, 2012, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 12:58:23 PM
Rush makes it a point to remind his listeners that he only uses that term for fringe feminists, and he doesn't have any problem with the "equal pay for equal work"-type feminists.  It's people like you who never listened to him but cherry-pick things out of context from secondary sources to make him out to be more irrational than he really is.

Dittohead.

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 20, 2012, 12:48:05 PM
The top jobs are by definition outliers, which tend to be men. Boys are more likely than girls to be mentally retarded too. I don't know how much of a factor that is in the CEO world, but it has to be something. Probably not the amount that it is currently skewed.

I bet you will see it even out more in the future though. They are saying that in the younger demographics 20-30ish women are making more than men now.  That will probably translate to more women CEOs later just like how we now have sixty percent or so of college grads being female. Time will do it.

There are thousands of companies with CEOs, and yet less than 4% of them are women. That's not really an outlier, imo.

I don't doubt that in time it will happen. What I question is how long it will take, especially if women can be and often are shamed for continuing to demand equality.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 12:45:03 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 20, 2012, 12:34:07 PM
I don't think most people who use the term to describe themselves think it means man-hater, spicy. Some, yes.
Yeah it is generally just a fight for gender equality which doesn't mean tearing men down - just improving things for everyone.
Except for the men who are displaced by the women CEOs.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 12:55:21 PM
Well, I can't see myself actually encouraging her to enter a non-traditional career for a woman.

Why not?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 12:58:19 PM
Well, I can't see myself actually encouraging her to enter a non-traditional career for a woman.  But on the other hand I can't see myself getting in the way if that's what she really wants.

What's a "non-traditional career"?  Are you talking about heavy engine mechanic, or doctor?

Yes.

:lol:

"Daddy, I want to go to medical school and be a doctor when I grow up."
"Meh."

"Daddy, I want to be an administrative assistant when I grow up."
"That's my girl!"

And you assholes call me the misogynist around here.  Too fucking funny.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2012, 01:00:42 PM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 12:58:23 PM
Rush makes it a point to remind his listeners that he only uses that term for fringe feminists, and he doesn't have any problem with the "equal pay for equal work"-type feminists.  It's people like you who never listened to him but cherry-pick things out of context from secondary sources to make him out to be more irrational than he really is.

Dittohead.

Another misunderstood term.  It does not actually mean someone who agrees with Rush all the time.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Neil on November 20, 2012, 01:03:11 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 12:45:03 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 20, 2012, 12:34:07 PM
I don't think most people who use the term to describe themselves think it means man-hater, spicy. Some, yes.
Yeah it is generally just a fight for gender equality which doesn't mean tearing men down - just improving things for everyone.
Except for the men who are displaced by the women CEOs.

They'll just have to be more competitive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 01:01:50 PM

There are thousands of companies with CEOs, and yet less than 4% of them are women. That's not really an outlier, imo.

I meant a CEO is an outlier. What percentage of the entire population are CEOs? It's got to be really tiny unless you include every little S-corp laundromat. Fortune 500 CEOs are exactly 500 presumably. In a population of 310 million.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 12:58:19 PM
What's a "non-traditional career"?  Are you talking about heavy engine mechanic, or doctor?

Yes.

Good grief.

If I had a daughter I might caution her about entering heavily male-dominated industries - not because she counted do it, but just because life is tough enough without having to take on even more battles.

But spicey, you surely recognize that medical school and law school now have more women than men, and it's been that way for several years now, don't you?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 01:03:29 PM
Well, I can't see myself actually encouraging her to enter a non-traditional career for a woman.

Why not?

Because I generally believe in the validity of traditional gender roles.  And I'll note for the record that you cut out my part about not getting in her way.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 12:57:17 PM
I think you're wrong.

The income and "top job" disparities have greatly shrunken.  That they continue to exist is due to something you touch on - women taking themselves out of the work force to raise children.  Now I'm coming from a lawyer's perspective, but I've seen how female lawyers have their career damaged (not fatally, but damaged) by taking themselves out of the office for 12 months once or twice.

Statistics bear out that I'm correct while you are not. As for the parenting thing, were things more equal (career-wise and socially), I would guess that fathers would have the ability to take more time off to raise their children. As it is, women are generally paid less, so it makes more sense for them to take the time off than to have the man do so. That would require a huge shift in social customs, however, and I just can't see it happening anytime soon.

That, to me, is the biggest problem. It's unfair to both fathers and mothers, and yet because of social custom, it's rarely addressed in any fashion.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
Because I generally believe in the validity of traditional gender roles.

What does that mean? That they should be adhered to? Which ones, like women staying home and raising the kids?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
And I'll note for the record that you cut out my part about not getting in her way.

That's only because you know her personally.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 01:08:25 PM

Good grief.

If I had a daughter I might caution her about entering heavily male-dominated industries - not because she counted do it, but just because life is tough enough without having to take on even more battles.

You realize that this is no better than what derspiess is suggesting, right?

QuoteBut spicey, you surely recognize that medical school and law school now have more women than men, and it's been that way for several years now, don't you?

Do you think he cares? He strongly believes in the idea that men and women have their places, and ne'er the two shall meet.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 01:08:25 PM
Good grief.

Cool.

QuoteBut spicey, you surely recognize that medical school and law school now have more women than men, and it's been that way for several years now, don't you?

Yeah.