News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Which country does Christmas the best?

Started by derspiess, December 05, 2012, 11:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taking into account traditions & contributions to how everyone celebrates, which country do you think does Christmas in the best way?

Britain:  Dickens-- nuff said
2 (6.9%)
Germany/Austria:  Weihnachtsmarkt, Christmas Tree, Krampus
14 (48.3%)
Netherlands:  Black Piet, lol
1 (3.4%)
USA:  Modern version of Santa Claus, commercialization out the wazoo
6 (20.7%)
Spain/Latin America:  Nochebuena, gifts from the three wise men
1 (3.4%)
Denmark: Nisse, Julaften, Grod, other weird-looking words
2 (6.9%)
Russia:  Gotta be different and wait til January
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2012, 02:21:19 AM
Sweden has glog. And those lovely ginger thingies I can't remember the name of. Which is awesome.

Pepparkakor, most likely.  I'll be making some of that soon.

Caliga

Well this thread turned out to contain some unexpected content. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2012, 11:51:56 AM
I need to get one of those.  Apparently I'm not going to be inheriting my parents' nativity set.  Problem is my 1-year old (who already things all the Christmas tree ornaments are her toys) would lose half the pieces.

I need to remember to get my nativity set out of the things I left stored in California.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 05:45:08 PM
WTF?  Is there some special significance to a dude taking a dump at Jesus' birth?

Background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

I like the Catalan pre-meal saying quoted there: "menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort!" (Eat well, shit strong, and don't fear death!) The Catalans also seem to have a xmas tree log for kids that shits candy for them. Those guys seem rather obsessed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2012, 11:57:08 PM
WTF?  Is there some special significance to a dude taking a dump at Jesus' birth?

Background:

I like the Catalan pre-meal saying quoted there: "menja bé, caga fort i no tinguis por a la mort!" (Eat well, shit strong, and don't fear death!) The Catalans also seem to have a xmas tree log for kids that shits candy for them. Those guys seem rather obsessed.

Yup, the log is called Tió:

Kids are supposed to "feed" it during the buildup for Christmas and on Christmas day they have to beat him with sticks while singing a song to make him shit candy. Freud would have a field day with those traditions.

Admiral Yi

Might explain all the German tourists at Ibiza.  :ph34r:

The Brain

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 06, 2012, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2012, 02:21:19 AM
Sweden has glog. And those lovely ginger thingies I can't remember the name of. Which is awesome.

Pepparkakor, most likely.  I'll be making some of that soon.

:mmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2012, 02:10:18 AM
I saw Patrick Stewart play Scrooge in a play once. He was absolutely epic.

Voted Britain/Dickens

I might have voted that way, if I thought that Christmas in Britian, as portrayed by Dickens, actually closely resembled how Christmas is celebrated in modern Britian.

derspiess

Quote from: dps on December 07, 2012, 08:21:50 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 06, 2012, 02:10:18 AM
I saw Patrick Stewart play Scrooge in a play once. He was absolutely epic.

Voted Britain/Dickens

I might have voted that way, if I thought that Christmas in Britian, as portrayed by Dickens, actually closely resembled how Christmas is celebrated in modern Britian.

I'm sure it is here: http://www.dickensworld.co.uk/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on December 07, 2012, 05:39:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2012, 11:57:08 PM

Background:

Yup, the log is called Tió:

Kids are supposed to "feed" it during the buildup for Christmas and on Christmas day they have to beat him with sticks while singing a song to make him shit candy. Freud would have a field day with those traditions.

Awesome.  I think I'll just start with the Caganer and see how that works.  My wife had never heard of it (she barely knows what or where the hell Cataluña is).  Tommy thought it was hilarious.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall