The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 25, 2010, 01:20:26 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2010, 02:55:01 AM
I still return to LotRO now and then (one day I'll crack level 30 :P ).

And I thought I was slow... :p

anyways: if you're not in a kin and need a laid back one: look up the true taters. They're quite large and cater to kinnies both high and low.

I might. I levelled a dorf Guardian - Gurukhoin - to 8 yesterday (they sure streamlined the n00b areas). I saw an ad for Mithril Guard, which made me smile for nostalgia's (WoW) sake.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2010, 12:22:45 AM
Kat - game crash on you too?

And I agree Carrot - sell, sell, and sell more stuff.

Apparently as useful as the replicator is, you supposedly get much better prices back a starbase.  And, as I found, since you can't sell stuff while on an away mission...

What I'd taken to doing is maxing out my inventory, hailing Starfleet to "phone in" my mission status, then mashing the transwarp back to Sol.  Even as long as it took me to break into stride, I could probably get up another rank today, but I decided to wean myself from the beta so I'm not so PO'ed when I go down in the middle of a mission.

One thing that concerns me now that I've gotten the extra classes available to Lt. Cmdrs. is balance.  With the light cruiser, all it took was wandering into a squadron with both a K'Tinga and a Negh'Var at -5 to hand my ass to me.  I still got grued when I wandered into a big squadron with the cruiser, but it took a freakishly large squadron- latest one was -8 (was using secure missions for some quick skill points) consisting of 2 Negh'Vars, 2 K'Tingas, 3 Raptors, and 3 Bird of Preys.  I dunno if any of you guys got far enough to earn the exploration cruisers or even the heavy cruisers, but with the way they seem to be ramping up ship power, it won't take long before the only replay experience you get from the Sirius and Regulus sector blocks is repetitive strain injuries from mashing buttons.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 26, 2010, 11:21:56 AM
I dunno if any of you guys got far enough to earn the exploration cruisers or even the heavy cruisers, but with the way they seem to be ramping up ship power, it won't take long before the only replay experience you get from the Sirius and Regulus sector blocks is repetitive strain injuries from mashing buttons.

It's a MMO.  That's how it works.  When you get the bigger ships you're supposed to move on to different sectors.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

And they're doing an End of Beta thing today.  That ends at 6pm PST. <_<

Alcibiades

Alright, I'm close to buying it....Beeb can you sell me on it?

And, which pre-order really?  I was thinking joined trill, but is that any good really?   And you can't use it in head start can you?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 26, 2010, 12:38:56 PM
Alright, I'm close to buying it....Beeb can you sell me on it?

And, which pre-order really?  I was thinking joined trill, but is that any good really?   And you can't use it in head start can you?

The thing is I don't want to sell you on it, because I don't want you to blame me if it isn't fun.  You should make up your own mind.  In part it depends on your gaming budget.  I've certainly blown more money on games I've already played less than STO, so the game itself is a win for me (the lifetime sub: no that's open for debate).  But if you're not so free with your money...

That's right - you can't use any pre-order bonus during the head start.  That's because the head start is really just a re-start of open-beta that lasts for a few days.  It's only once you enter your purchase code (which you should get Feb 2nd) that you'll officially be playing the game.

Which pre-order to get?  Right off the bat, I think any of the items aren't going to be all that useful.  You'll probably get better stuff down the road anyways.

The Amazon borg bridge officer is a popular one.  No other way to get one.

So, if ypu put aside any of the items, you're left with either the Constitution starter ship, or the bonueses from the DDO or the CE.  It's largely cosmetic (TNG or TOS uniforms), but dammit that kind of stuff is fun. I bought the DDO for the TOS uniforms.

The joined trill is useful - you get 5 traits (2 racial, plus 3 bonus).  Every other race out there only gets 4.  It's not game breaking, but it's a noticeable difference.  But the DDO (that comes with joined trill, and TOS uniforms) costs $10 more.  Again if your gaming budget is tight, or you really want physical media, that's not the way to go.

Alcibiades

Ok, I'll go with Amazon for the Borg then.  :cheers:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Grey Fox

I didn't know about the pre-order bonuses. That's lame, very lame.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2010, 12:58:34 PM

'a' pre-order bonus is cool.

Multiple pre-order bonuses is a PITA.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 26, 2010, 01:02:42 PM

'a' pre-order bonus is cool.

Multiple pre-order bonuses is a PITA.

In an Ideal world Amazon would sell DDE then i wouldn't have payed for two copies, though I played the mission last night where you go rescue the TOS Enterprise and it looks pretty sweet. :shifty:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

ulmont

How could you not know - it was all over practically every page of this thread?   :huh:

katmai

Quote from: ulmont on January 26, 2010, 01:05:53 PM

How could you not know - it was all over practically every page of this thread?   :huh:

He's French Canadian.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Had no real intentions of buying it anywhere but from Direct2Drive. Which store had what wasn't important to me.

I just didn't know it wouldnot be in the headstart. Which makes me wonder why I got the DDE instead of the R10$LessE

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 26, 2010, 01:13:16 PM

Had no real intentions of buying it anywhere but from Direct2Drive. Which store had what wasn't important to me.

I just didn't know it wouldnot be in the headstart. Which makes me wonder why I got the DDE instead of the R10$LessE

You're smarter than me.  I bought the DDO from Atari - which had no pre-order bonus. :frusty:  (they since introduced a pre-order bonus of 500 'Cryptic points', but no idea what those can be used to purchase).

But I figure than once Feb 2nd rolls around I'll switch my characters into TOS uniforms and start going /e khan and random opportunities, so it's all good.  :)