The next Star Trek MMORPG: Another Epic Fail?

Started by CountDeMoney, May 16, 2009, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Octavian

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2010, 01:44:32 PM
It has more bugs than I'd like to see this late in development.   :(

Yeah I'm a bit worried about that as well.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Jaron

This is normal. You guys are spoiled. In my day...
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Alcibiades

I still haven't bought this.... Dunno if I'm going to or not yet either.  :mellow:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Barrister

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 24, 2010, 11:16:18 PM
I still haven't bought this.... Dunno if I'm going to or not yet either.  :mellow:

Nothing wrong with that.   :mellow:

It's possible I might not get my money's worth out of a lifetime subscription.  I'm pretty sure it'll at least be close though, and I'll like not having to worry about monthly fees.  I can play even just a few times a month and not worry about 'getting my money's worth'.

Barrister

I shouldn't complain, abut another 'emergency maintenance'... :(

At least they warned us this time.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2010, 12:51:35 AM
I shouldn't complain, abut another 'emergency maintenance'... :(

At least they warned us this time.

Lotro Europe had a few of those even after launch.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2010, 11:18:46 PMIt's possible I might not get my money's worth out of a lifetime subscription.

Depends on how you look at it. I don't look at how long the subscription period would be for that price (roughly two years, I think), but rather at how many other games I could buy for that money and if I would spend as much time with STO as I might with them (and knowing how I have paid full price for some games I didn't spend more than 10 hours with, that threshld is not too high).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on January 25, 2010, 02:13:32 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 24, 2010, 11:18:46 PMIt's possible I might not get my money's worth out of a lifetime subscription.

Depends on how you look at it. I don't look at how long the subscription period would be for that price (roughly two years, I think), but rather at how many other games I could buy for that money and if I would spend as much time with STO as I might with them (and knowing how I have paid full price for some games I didn't spend more than 10 hours with, that threshld is not too high).

I'm leaning towards going lifetime as well, I just need to look and see how much I have spent on WoW, City of heroes, and Lotro to see it makes sense for me to buy a lifetime. Even more so when factoring in my Trek :nerd:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2010, 02:46:15 AM

I'm leaning towards going lifetime as well, I just need to look and see how much I have spent on WoW, City of heroes, and Lotro to see it makes sense for me to buy a lifetime. Even more so when factoring in my Trek :nerd:

How would pre-ordering the game three times count in that equation?

katmai

Quote from: sbr on January 25, 2010, 02:49:05 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2010, 02:46:15 AM

How would pre-ordering the game three times count in that equation?

I kept my composure and only ordered it twice!

But as it stands I will have payed $140 for all the pre-order bonuses i wanted get 60 days of "free" game time and then have paid the once time fee of $240 for grand total of $380.
Considering I spent about double that in WoW fees for 4 years time I'll be content if game is still around in similar time frame.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on January 25, 2010, 02:46:15 AMI'm leaning towards going lifetime as well, I just need to look and see how much I have spent on WoW, City of heroes, and Lotro to see it makes sense for me to buy a lifetime. Even more so when factoring in my Trek :nerd:

Well, I got some mileage out of SWG, then later out of WoW which I played a couple months. I tried others (Vanguard, Conan, EVE) which I didn't like. Champions was not worth my investment. I still return to LotRO now and then (one day I'll crack level 30 :P ). I like the exploration aspect of MMORPGs a fair bit, and also a chance to hang back and just do some crafting or socializing.

STO seems geared a lot more towards instant action (though what I see of it I like), so I doubt at this point that I will stay with it beyond my "free" month, even though what I've seen so far is fun. But I think a Star Trek game should be about more than PWNIGN the opposition.

Star Wars: The Old Republic seems to be more up my alley (or so I hope), but as that one's still over a year away I can't say, really.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.