Hamas military chief Ahmed Jabari killed by Israeli strike

Started by jimmy olsen, November 14, 2012, 05:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Whelp, somebody blew up a bus in Tel Aviv.  Haven't seen that trick for a while.

Syt

Yep. Love some of the comments on Austrian news sites.

"It's a heinous crime, but really - can you blame them?" Idiots.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2012, 06:18:36 AM

:lol:  Ah, Austrians.  Don't ever change.

jimmy olsen

The world isn't so black and white.

I believe in Israel's right to imperialist conquest and colonization, and I believe in the Palestinian right to resist it by any means necessary.  :sleep:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I really wish you were blown up on the Bang Dong Express, dying in an explosion of cheaply made Asian dildos.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 07:05:16 AM
I really wish you were blown up on the Bang Dong Express, dying in an explosion of cheaply made Asian dildos.
Dong Bang

It means East Room
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 06:25:31 AM

I think there's a knee jerk "Support the underdog" sentiment in large parts of Germany/Austria when it comes to conflicts. No matter who the underdog is - they're right to oppose whatever the oppressive juggernaut de jour is - U.S. vs. Iraq, Israel vs. Palestinians, China vs. Tibetans etc. There seems to be a feeling that supporting the outnumbered, outgunned underdog is the right moral choice to do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

That's because it is. And don't let Seedy trick you in thinking the Yanks are different. They are not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2012, 07:51:08 AM
I think there's a knee jerk "Support the underdog" sentiment in large parts of Germany/Austria when it comes to conflicts. No matter who the underdog is - they're right to oppose whatever the oppressive juggernaut de jour is - U.S. vs. Iraq, Israel vs. Palestinians, China vs. Tibetans etc. There seems to be a feeling that supporting the outnumbered, outgunned underdog is the right moral choice to do.

Meh, I think it's a knee jerk "Support killing the Jews" sentiment.
The European populace didn't support Israel back in the 50s, 60s and 70s with the same level of frothing when they were the underdog.

It's just more of the same old antisemitism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2012, 07:57:13 AM
That's because it is. And don't let Seedy trick you in thinking the Yanks are different. They are not.

No tricks necessary.  "Pro-Palestinian neutrality" doesn't fool anybody, either.

Grey Fox

It's true.

In this conflict only of the side has the means to end the conflict. At some point Isreal and the rest of the World going to have to face that fact.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2012, 07:51:08 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 06:25:31 AM

That's Marxian history analysis in action. Twisting every act in history into a cookie cutter mold of oppressor vs. oppressed fighting over resources results virtually every time i the stronger side being defied as evil by virtue of being stronger.

I posted this on facebook recently and am doing it here, because it addresses a few of the points as well as being hellishly clever in content if I might say so myself. Commenting on Murdoch's bafflement over how the Jewish conspiracy wasn't being very competent.

QuoteApart from the obviously anti-semitic musings where Murdoch is baffled by the absence of the evidence for the conspiracy he expected this is important to remember. Media, "Jewish Owned" or not, is first and foremost Media. Media behaves like media and the forces that work on all media are the same, "Jewish Owned" or not. Bill Maher have pointed out that there isn't a liberal bias in media, there is a sloppy journalism bias in the media.

The "Jewish Owned" media is Anti-Israel for the same reason that people choose to go into the media. People do not become study journalism because they want to write obituaries. They want to become like Woodward and Berntstein and expose corruption and exploitation or campaign to write (yes, this is a pun) a wrong. The very impulse that drives people into journalism is mistrust of power and concern for those who are weak. Journalists as a self selecting class do not believe that might makes right. The presumption is that might makes wrong and the powers that be need to prove this wrong if they are to be believed.

Israel is more powerful than the Palestinians and the Palestinians suffer more than the Israelis. Someone with a mistrust of power and wishes to advocate for those who suffer will naturally be anti-israel.

The thing is that might has little to do with right; the little that might has to do with right is that might that is wrong is more often defeated (viz Nazi Germany, Saddam Hussein, Idi Amin etc.) than might that is right. Might also is more stable than weakness (compare the wrong might of north vietnam against the wrong weakness of south vietnam).

Israel acting within the laws and customs of war is "Dog bites man" and accusations of Israel not doing this is "Man bites dog". Naturally the media is going to tend by virtue of it's own nature to be anti-israeli.

The knee jerk anti-israelism of media is natural and normal and to be expected because of the nature of journalism students. Apart from me mis-spelling Bernstein's name I'm pretty proud of it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Is this translated directly from Norwegian? The  grammar's a bit off.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on November 21, 2012, 08:20:56 AM
That's Marxian history analysis in action. Twisting every act in history into a cookie cutter mold of oppressor vs. oppressed fighting over resources results virtually every time i the stronger side being defied as evil by virtue of being stronger.

Might makes wrong?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2012, 08:17:59 AM
It's true.

In this conflict only of the side has the means to end the conflict. At some point Isreal and the rest of the World going to have to face that fact.

Neither side has the means to end the conflict.  If either side tried they would be undermined by the radical elements of both sides.  This is the key element to having a conflict that stretches on for decades that benefits nobody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."