News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you let a US State cecede?

Started by viper37, November 14, 2012, 11:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Question only for Americans, obviously, inspired by the 100 or so Texans from the Texas Nationalist movement.

So, it's 1861 all over again, and some States wants to quit the Union, on some issue or another.  Except we're now in 2012, and we're supposed to be civilized.  That, and some northerners seem fed up with the pro-GOP states.

So a State or some States want to cecede, now.  They have held popular assembly, there is a firm democratic resolve in these states behind the idea of independance.

If it were up to you&only you, would you let them secede?  Why?  Assume it's not your state of residence or origin.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Yes they have the right to secede.  But yes it has to be negotiated (in good faith) and can not be done unilaterally.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

No.
But I would provide them with the addresses of the closest international consulates, for all their immigration needs.

edit:  And naturally, the Canuckitard lawyer steps in with an answer for a "Question only for Americans".

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 14, 2012, 11:28:05 AM
edit:  And naturally, the Canuckitard lawyer steps in with an answer for a "Question only for Americans".

Naturally. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

No country would survive if people could split it up every time they don't get their way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

In 1861, sure. Now, no way.

It's a silly hypothetical anyway, as I doubt you could find 10% of the population in support of secession anywhere in the country. Certainly not on the basis of these overwrought "red state/blue state" divisions. Nothing like the case where the South Carolina's legislature voted unanimously to leave the union. You're comparing apples and radioactive grapefruit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2012, 11:34:55 AM
What makes it better in 1861?

The fact that there were much greater divisions within the country and that they were largely dependent upon geography.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 11:25:14 AM
Yes they have the right to secede.  But yes it has to be negotiated (in good faith) and can not be done unilaterally.

There is no right to secede.  If they did have a right to secede then your second sentence wouldn't be true.

According to the Declaration of Independence secession can only be undertaken legitimately if the individual rights of the people are being abused somehow.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 11:34:06 AM
It's a silly hypothetical anyway,
Dude, remind me where we are again? :P  We discussed warp drives, colonization of distant planets, who would win, etc, etc.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2012, 11:38:29 AM
There is no right to secede.

That's right;  there was a ratification process that was publicly debated at great length.  NO TAKE BACKS

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 11:38:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 14, 2012, 11:34:55 AM
What makes it better in 1861?

The fact that there were much greater divisions within the country and that they were largely dependent upon geography.

There were greater divisions, but they lousy reasons.  "We lost an election", is not a good reason to tear the country apart.  Not now, not then.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2012, 11:38:29 AM
According to the Declaration of Independence secession can only be undertaken legitimately if the individual rights of the people are being abused somehow.
but who would determine if those rights were abused?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2012, 11:39:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 11:34:06 AM
It's a silly hypothetical anyway,
Dude, remind me where we are again? :P  We discussed warp drives, colonization of distant planets, who would win, etc, etc.

DONT FORGET INTERGALACTIC AIRCRAFT CARRIERS