Main Menu

Would you let a US State cecede?

Started by viper37, November 14, 2012, 11:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2012, 11:39:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 11:34:06 AM
It's a silly hypothetical anyway,
Dude, remind me where we are again? :P  We discussed warp drives, colonization of distant planets, who would win, etc, etc.

Well, you are in Quebec.  So I guess this kind of thing is more realistic.  If we are going to do this, we should do it with musket, saber, and cannon.  I'd love to don the blue and drive the rebel blackguard from the field SQUEE!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2012, 11:40:29 AM
but who would determine if those rights were abused?

Well that is the real trick isn't it?  That is why Jefferson filled the declaration with a long list of British abuses to convince the reader American rights had been abused and thus the secession of the American Colonies was legitimate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2012, 11:39:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 11:34:06 AM
It's a silly hypothetical anyway,
Dude, remind me where we are again? :P  We discussed warp drives, colonization of distant planets, who would win, etc, etc.

I'm just sayin', it's not gonna happen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

If we can get all the mormons to move to Utah then sure.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 14, 2012, 12:48:50 PM
No Viper, I wouldnt let Quebec Cecede.

Just like a Canadian to talk about Quebec in a thread about US states.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Can't really talk about the US, but living in a federal state myself, I would let a state secede if there is a clear democratic mandate from the population of that state to do so.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 14, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

Just like a Canadian to talk about Quebec in a thread about US states.  :rolleyes:

Just like an American not to understand the true intent of the question asked in the OP.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on November 14, 2012, 12:55:43 PM
Can't really talk about the US, but living in a federal state myself, I would let a state secede if there is a clear democratic mandate from the population of that state to do so.

See now there is the answer Viper was looking for

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 14, 2012, 12:59:09 PM

Why not, 7 billion a year save!

And miss out on Viper whining every time our Queen or her family visit Canada - priceless!

Valmy

I don't think destruction of a country, along with the severe economic and social disruption that goes with that, should be handled like it was any ordinary political matter.  Surely you see there are things even a democratic mandate cannot legitimize.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 14, 2012, 01:09:25 PM

I don't think destruction of a country, along with the severe economic and social disruption that goes with that, should be handled like it was any ordinary political matter.  Surely you see there are things even a democratic mandate cannot legitimize.

I know you folks had a rather painful experience with secession, but it can be done in a peaceful and orderly manner.

If Texas wanted to secede it would hardly "destroy" the remaining union.  Life would go on.

The right to self-determination is well established, and is one that the US has recognized and asserted for other countries.  What makes the US so special that it is uniquely indivisible?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 01:13:14 PM
What makes the US so special that it is uniquely indivisible?

Our Pledge of Allegiance. :smarty:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 14, 2012, 01:13:14 PM
If Texas wanted to secede it would hardly "destroy" the remaining union.  Life would go on.

The right to self-determination is well established, and is one that the US has recognized and asserted for other countries.  What makes the US so special that it is uniquely indivisible?

I don't believe in group rights and I think our recognition of that has only been a justification for murder and ethnic cleansing.  Self determination has meant you need to murder (or breed) your way to 51% to crazy nationalists all over the world.

The US is only indivisible to the extent it respects the rights of its citizens and protects them, as per the Constitution.

And if Texas is seceding it would spell the end of the US.  First of all we are part of region of likeminded states, if we are at that point we would not be anywhere near the first state to bolt.  Secondly once we do that every single time a State would feel screwed in an election or a decision a secession movement would start, either in earnest or to intimidate the majority into relenting on the point.  A Federal Democracy cannot function like that.

QuoteI know you folks had a rather painful experience with secession, but it can be done in a peaceful and orderly manner.

Yeah the history of secession is just full of peace and order.  :lol: