Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

For good or ill, the GOP has more ideological cohesiveness these days. That's without a doubt, there are almost no moderate republicans left these days, while the Dems span the spectrum from the Blue Dogs to the Progressive Caucus.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 01:49:10 AM
For good or ill, the GOP has more ideological cohesiveness these days. That's without a doubt, there are almost no moderate republicans left these days, while the Dems span the spectrum from the Blue Dogs to the Progressive Caucus.

Do they?  Boehner couldn't seem to get his people together for his "plan B" vote.  And Bush had a much easier time getting much of his programs through.  I mean, how many Dems voted against the Iraq War?  I think we have a fundamental difference in how both parties see how Congress work.  Dems believe in coalitions, negotiations and compromise.  The GOP tends to see things in black white, good and evil, those who would save America and those who would destroy it.  You don't negotiate with pure evil.  You make a stand and you never give an inch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Phillip V

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2013, 09:15:19 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 02, 2013, 01:49:10 AM

Do they?  Boehner couldn't seem to get his people together for his "plan B" vote.  And Bush had a much easier time getting much of his programs through.  I mean, how many Dems voted against the Iraq War?  I think we have a fundamental difference in how both parties see how Congress work.  Dems believe in coalitions, negotiations and compromise.  The GOP tends to see things in black white, good and evil, those who would save America and those who would destroy it.  You don't negotiate with pure evil.  You make a stand and you never give an inch.

The Iraq War was pure evil.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2013, 11:02:07 PM
I'm sorta confused on how we got in a situation where if the Republicans win an election they get everything they want, and if Democrats win they have to negotiate with Republicans.

Lets pretend that the Republicans actually want to reduce spending.

Theoretically, with the House of Rep, they can unilaterally impose their will. If the president wants to spend $50 on something, and the Republicans want to spend $25, the Republicans can just pass a bill authorizing $25. For the Democrats to ensure that they get their $50, they really need the House, Senate, and Presidency.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Even with the House, Senate and Presidency Dems weren't allowed to get what they wanted through.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2013, 10:32:55 AM
Even with the House, Senate and Presidency Dems weren't allowed to get what they wanted through.

Sure they were. I don't think Obamacare was especially bipartisan.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2013, 10:34:30 AM

And it got filibustered.  And what about everything else?  Appointments and treaties and such?  It took forever to get the new Start treaty through.

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2013, 11:33:10 AM

And it got filibustered.  And what about everything else?  Appointments and treaties and such?  It took forever to get the new Start treaty through.

And then it passed.

Even ignoring that the majority could do away with the filibuster if they so chose, the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for a while.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2013, 12:52:16 PM
And then it passed.

Even ignoring that the majority could do away with the filibuster if they so chose, the Democrats had a filibuster proof majority for a while.

An opportunity that should have been used better, I think.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 02, 2013, 01:29:26 PM
And then it passed.

I think that what the members of parties say they want doesn't really match with what they want. Case in point: I don't think the republicans are unified by the idea of actually reducing spending.

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2013, 11:33:10 AM

And then it passed.

But in practice they did not have a filibuster proof majority.  The Start treaty was a no brainer, yet it languished for months.  Not to mention just getting routine appointments is like pulling teeth.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2013, 01:33:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 02, 2013, 01:29:26 PM
And then it passed.

I think that what the members of parties say they want doesn't really match with what they want. Case in point: I don't think the republicans are unified by the idea of actually reducing spending.
Well no, they never have been.  They are usually united in saying they want it, that's about as far as it's ever gone.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 02, 2013, 02:13:01 PM
But in practice they did not have a filibuster proof majority.

In practice there was disagreement between progressives and Blue Dogs that had to be worked out.  Which has nothing to do with the issue of Democrats being more cooperative than Republicans.

CountDeMoney

Chris Christie just went Jersey mental on the House Republicans and Beohner for skipping the Hurricane Sandy Relief package.