Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Your Martinusism has been noted.  I always figured that Asian girls were a gateway drug to homoness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Senator Reid Says a Deal Is Unlikely Before the Fiscal Deadline :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/us/politics/senate-leader-fears-not-enough-time-for-fiscal-deal.html

“We are here in Washington working,” Mr. Reid said. “While the members of the House of Representatives are out watching movies and watching their kids play soccer and basketball and doing all kinds of things.” :o

mongers

Well at least it should liven up the first day of what looks like being a fairly dull/quiet start to 2013.

Also please spare a thought for all of those doomsday predictors/charlatans who've had to slave away over the holidays, whilst we enjoy ourselves,  to come up with some new BS, following the ending of the Mayan/2012 meal ticket.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

I dunno.  I wonder if the politicos perhaps got the idea that the "fiscal cliff" is the perfect device...tax increases and spending cuts needed for deficit reduction, and because it's "automatic", there is no direct blame either way.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 31, 2012, 03:34:52 AM
I dunno.  I wonder if the politicos perhaps got the idea that the "fiscal cliff" is the perfect device...tax increases and spending cuts needed for deficit reduction, and because it's "automatic", there is no direct blame either way.

I agree. There is a lot to "fix" after the fact if it goes through, but just going through fixes a lot on its own.

Taxes become more regressive after the cliff, but everybody and his cat will want to change that. We get a CapGains tax and an inheritance tax that come in. Buffett and his buddies already have that in hand. The rich will be fine. And the revenue we'll get from it will be insignificant. 40 bil. A week of national spending. Next Issue.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 31, 2012, 03:34:52 AM

Also, it gives them the opportunity to magnanimously lower taxes afterwards . . . though probably not by the amount they went up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 31, 2012, 04:10:22 AM
Taxes become more regressive after the cliff, but everybody and his cat will want to change that.

How's that?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 27, 2012, 08:28:27 AM
Your Martinusism has been noted.  I always figured that Asian girls were a gateway drug to homoness.

Well not if they have a nice rack.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2012, 12:17:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 27, 2012, 08:28:27 AM

Well not if they have a nice rack.

Which is-- not very often, sadly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2012, 07:50:46 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 31, 2012, 04:10:22 AM
Taxes become more regressive after the cliff, but everybody and his cat will want to change that.

How's that?

The Bush tax cuts shifted the tax burden more toward the higher earners. When they expire, that goes away.

Anyway, we've got an announcement coming in a half hour. Probably some agreement to delay everything keeping the status quo.

mongers

The President has spoken, not there yet, but hopeful of some compromise on some details ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Yeah. Ten hours left.

Word is, the Prez has balked on the sequestration cuts. We'll see.

Kleves

QuoteWASHINGTON — The House will miss the midnight Monday deadline lawmakers set for voting to avoid the "fiscal cliff."

House Republicans notified lawmakers that the chamber will vote Monday evening on other bills. They say that will be their only votes of the day.

President Barack Obama and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Monday they are near a deal to avoid wide-ranging tax increases and spending cuts — the fiscal cliff — that take effect with the new year.

Both men said they were still bargaining over whether — and how — to avoid $109 billion in cuts to defense and domestic programs that take effect on Wednesday.

It remained unclear whether the Senate would vote Monday.

Congress could pass later legislation retroactively blocking the tax hikes and spending cuts
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.