Fiscal Cliff MEGATHREAD: Wile E. Economy falls off, lands in cloud at bottom

Started by CountDeMoney, November 13, 2012, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Think I've mentioned before, but Cantor is our local rep here. Sometimes I've regretted voting for him every time just because he's been really recalcitrant as of late, when he shouldn't be. But in this case you have a Senate bill that will raise the debt by $4 tn over 10 years, and contains virtually no spending cuts. I think we have to get spending cuts in there right now. Once the tax stuff is passed we're back to only having the debt ceiling as a lever to use on the Democrats, and that causes far more problems than just having a showdown to get out spending cuts in the here and now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 01, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
Think I've mentioned before, but Cantor is our local rep here. Sometimes I've regretted voting for him every time just because he's been really recalcitrant as of late, when he shouldn't be.

You should regret it;  he's a typical Virginian politician that caters to the redneck mouthbreathing demo, so it's not surprising he's as much of a dickhead as he is.  You're supposed to be smarter than that.

QuoteBut in this case you have a Senate bill that will raise the debt by $4 tn over 10 years, and contains virtually no spending cuts. I think we have to get spending cuts in there right now. Once the tax stuff is passed we're back to only having the debt ceiling as a lever to use on the Democrats, and that causes far more problems than just having a showdown to get out spending cuts in the here and now.

The priority for this bill is to stave off the tax problem at the turn of the year, not solving the entire spending enchilada.  That comes later.  Except when it comes to Defense and Social Security, then the GOP will say "what cuts?"

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 01, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
Think I've mentioned before, but Cantor is our local rep here. Sometimes I've regretted voting for him every time just because he's been really recalcitrant as of late, when he shouldn't be. But in this case you have a Senate bill that will raise the debt by $4 tn over 10 years, and contains virtually no spending cuts. I think we have to get spending cuts in there right now. Once the tax stuff is passed we're back to only having the debt ceiling as a lever to use on the Democrats, and that causes far more problems than just having a showdown to get out spending cuts in the here and now.

You really shouldn't have any kind of level at all.  I mean, the GOP did lose the last election.  The situation the GOP finds itself in is one of their own making.  Instead of making a deal two years ago, they chose to hold off in the hopes winning the whitehouse and Senate and not having to compromise.  Now their plan has backfired, and the Republicans should have to bleed badly for making these reckless gambles.  Honestly I don't see why they should get anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Neil

The Clinton-era tax rates are a problem?  For shame, CdM.  Ideologue will kick you out of the Commie Club.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 01, 2013, 10:45:13 PM
The Clinton-era tax rates are a problem?  For shame, CdM.  Ideologue will kick you out of the Commie Club.

Ideologue has his own problems to worry about.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2013, 10:24:04 PM
Of course it does;  it has the House of Representatives.

I'm sorta confused on how we got in a situation where if the Republicans win an election they get everything they want, and if Democrats win they have to negotiate with Republicans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

The Republicans in the government have two things that the Democrats don't, spines and unity.

The first problem is definitely fixable.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2013, 11:02:07 PM

I'm sorta confused on how we got in a situation where if the Republicans win an election they get everything they want, and if Democrats win they have to negotiate with Republicans.

This is what happens when one party is interested in governing, and the other is interested in abolishing government.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2013, 11:08:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2013, 11:02:07 PM

This is what happens when one party is interested in governing, and the other is interested in abolishing government.

It's like trying to negotiate with Hamas.  We are quickly reaching the point where government will stop functioning.  While all those Dipshit Republicans and Libertarians think that's what they want, they will become disappointed when their social security and veterans benefits checks stop coming in.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 01, 2013, 11:07:09 PM
The Republicans in the government have two things that the Democrats don't, spines and unity.

The first problem is definitely fixable.

How do you figure this?