If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on October 24, 2012, 09:57:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2012, 03:56:07 PM
Judaism: 3,000+ years old
Christianity: 2,000+ years old
Islam, PBUH: 1,200+ years old
Mormonism:  Invented a few weeks ago on the back of a cocktail napkin with the last two digits smeared by the condensation from a bottle of Rolling Rock nursed far too long while listening to Warrant's "Don't Know What You've Got" at 1:35am as you stare at yourself in the bar mirror wondering if the well-worn single mom barfly sitting next to you is really worth knowing where you live on a work night
What's the connection between this and the OP?

The idea that religions that have been around for millenia and have had millions of followers seem a little less crazy? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 05:03:56 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:52:04 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:47:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:43:16 PM
Actually I don't have an objection to that. If I knew that you were about to suffer eternal torture I would do what I could to help save you from that horrid fate. I can't fully respect somebody who thinks I'm going to hell and is willing to let it happen.

I have no problem with them offering advice based on their beliefs when asked. I have a problem with them coming to my door and trying to change me from my own views because they think they're better at judging what's best for me than I am.

The analogy would be that I know that there is an ax-murderer hiding in your bathroom ready to lop your head off when you go off to do whatever it you females call urinating and you do not know that. Not only do you not know that you are a sensible person and you have no good reason to believe that there is an ax murderer in the bathroom, things like that do not happen and to be honest I am being really really creepy by saying this. Now, in that situation, what is my moral obligation? Send the police to your house? Kidnap you before you need to wee? Watch you get kebabbed and sliced by Jason from Friday the 13th?

You've been taking lessons from Marti, haven't you.

Meri and the Mormons are talking about religious beliefs*, whereas your 'scenario' describes extremely unlikely, but real happenings; thinks apples and claymore mines.

You don't get it but Viking's analogy is perfectly crafted. The consequence in the believers' view, of someone not believing their religion, is that he or she will spend eternity in hell. Surely, that's a much worse fate than having your head chopped off by an axe murderer.

If you believe heaven, hell, damnation and salvation are real - as believers purport to do - then they are as real "happenings" as the axe murderer thing.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2012, 06:06:41 PM
Raz, you should go door to door and invite people to mass.  :pope:

Mass what? Mass murder? Mass shooting? Mass achusetts?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2012, 07:07:15 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 24, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
If I may make a Martlike analogy: saying Mormonism is nuttier than Catholicism is like saying John Wayne Gacy is more evil than Charles Manson.  Past a certain point of ridiculousness, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Wrong.  It's more like saying some amateur retard with delusions of grandeur that can't cut straight with a box cutter to Charles Manson. 

Really wish you people would appreciate the concept of historic institutions.

You are confusing things. Catholicism definitely has more panache and aplomb, but that doesn't make it less nutty.

Saying that you got the religion's tenets from some angel in the basement is not more nuttier than saying your god was born out of a gang-rape of a 13 y.o. girl by the father, the son (the same one who was born from the rape) and a bird who are all somehow the same person.

Tamas

So looks like most here missed the point.

Your respect for what religions inspire and all that aside.

If you believe in God, how can you ignore shit like water-walking, water-to-wine trickery, God talking to peeps and such, and yet think that the Book of Mormon is lies?

If you think the tacky parts of the Bible are fake, then how can you claim that the rest is not? Cherrypicking from holy books might be convinient but then you are just creating your own religion and undermining the truth factor of the thing you want to believe in.

That's why I am kind of having problem pestering religious nutjobs for their homophobia and other medieval morals they have.  I mean, we can attack them for that, but not for their religion? How come? Their religion specifically tells them to dislike gays, for example. We cannot say that it is okay to have your religion but it is not okay to think gays are inferior, because the two are mutually exclusive - he can either have his belief, or think that gays are perfectly healthy human beings. The two together are not possible.

Eddie Teach

Look at it this way: If God were real, what kind of results would he get?

p.s. Marty, immaculate conception, i.e. no rape
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2012, 02:00:06 AM
Look at it this way: If God were real, what kind of results would he get?

p.s. Marty, immaculate conception, i.e. no rape

immaculate statutory rape :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM
Mormonism:  Invented a few weeks ago on the back of a cocktail napkin with the last two digits smeared by the condensation from a bottle of Rolling Rock nursed far too long while listening to Warrant's "Don't Know What You've Got" at 1:35am as you stare at yourself in the bar mirror wondering if the well-worn single mom barfly sitting next to you is really worth knowing where you live on a work night

The idea that religions that have been around for millenia and have had millions of followers seem a little less crazy? :huh:

It was a stupid OP.  It's like asking "If you are an atheist, how come you aren't a Marxist?"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 04:13:43 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 09:58:36 PM

It was a stupid OP.  It's like asking "If you are an atheist, how come you aren't a Marxist?"

Ok Martinus

Eddie Teach

Martinus would know the answer to that one; he likes money too much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Don't blame me Tamas, blame the beet eating drunk who started this thread.  If you believe in one religion, it doesn't necessarily follow you would accept another one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2012, 04:40:35 AM
Martinus would know the answer to that one; he likes money too much.

I meant that such retarded comparisons are only made by Marty.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 04:41:56 AM
Don't blame me Tamas, blame the beet eating drunk who started this thread.  If you believe in one religion, it doesn't necessarily follow you would accept another one.

Yeah except that the problem is that the reasoning leading to the discardment of Mormonism should also lead to the discard of Christianity in general.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 04:44:55 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 04:41:56 AM

Yeah except that the problem is that the reasoning leading to the discardment of Mormonism should also lead to the discard of Christianity in general.

Why?