If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I am sorry for the Martinus-esque thread, I might be a bit drunk.

So.... It is fine to make fun of mormonism. I sure do. But it is even looks to be fine for people who think there is a God and they base that on the Bible. Where Virgin Mary's half-god walks on water then his father have him executed, so that he becomes able to forgive the rest of mankind for being born. Except those who doesn't do as he says because then they go to hell. Unless -if you insert the applying sub-religion- a priest tells God otherwise by forgiving the sins.

CountDeMoney

Judaism: 3,000+ years old
Christianity: 2,000+ years old
Islam, PBUH: 1,200+ years old
Mormonism:  Invented a few weeks ago on the back of a cocktail napkin with the last two digits smeared by the condensation from a bottle of Rolling Rock nursed far too long while listening to Warrant's "Don't Know What You've Got" at 1:35am as you stare at yourself in the bar mirror wondering if the well-worn single mom barfly sitting next to you is really worth knowing where you live on a work night

Viking

Mormonism is more retarded than the bible. I hold this position simply because Mormonism says everything in the bible is true and then adds a whole load of claptrap about the planet Kolob, Eden being in Jackson, Missouri, Reformed Egyptian Hieroglyphs in the Book of Abraham and lots of other retarded BS. So mainstream Mormonism is more retarded than mainstream Christianities.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM
I am sorry for the Martinus-esque thread, I might be a bit drunk.

So.... It is fine to make fun of mormonism. I sure do. But it is even looks to be fine for people who think there is a God and they base that on the Bible. Where Virgin Mary's half-god walks on water then his father have him executed, so that he becomes able to forgive the rest of mankind for being born. Except those who doesn't do as he says because then they go to hell. Unless -if you insert the applying sub-religion- a priest tells God otherwise by forgiving the sins.

I don't know if Catholic Doctrine is necessarily so explicitly stated in the Bible :P

The Bible is vague and not explicit and when it is explicit it tends to contradict itself later on just to cover up for the mistake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

There's an aura of uncertainty and mystery around the founding of the older religions. How do we know that Jesus didn't walk on water or conjure bread and fish? Do we know for sure he even claimed to be the messiah? Joseph Smith(and L Ron Hubbard, Sun Yung Moon, et al) comes from a much better documented time. We know he didn't bring forth any miracles or accurate prophecies to back up his claims. He was just a charismatic fellow who saw a path to status, wealth and pussy. Or maybe he was a bit unhinged and really believed his bullshit. Either way, he's clearly full of shit, there's no doubt to give him the benefit of.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

My only complaint against Mormonism is that they are such die-hard proselytizers. They, like many Christians, believe that it is their responsibility to make others like them.

But that's not really a complaint specific to Mormonism. That's a complaint against any religion who does that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:35:37 PM
My only complaint against Mormonism is that they are such die-hard proselytizers. They, like many Christians, believe that it is their responsibility to make others like them.

But that's not really a complaint specific to Mormonism. That's a complaint against any religion who does that.

Actually I don't have an objection to that. If I knew that you were about to suffer eternal torture I would do what I could to help save you from that horrid fate. I can't fully respect somebody who thinks I'm going to hell and is willing to let it happen.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:43:16 PM
Actually I don't have an objection to that. If I knew that you were about to suffer eternal torture I would do what I could to help save you from that horrid fate. I can't fully respect somebody who thinks I'm going to hell and is willing to let it happen.

I have no problem with them offering advice based on their beliefs when asked. I have a problem with them coming to my door and trying to change me from my own views because they think they're better at judging what's best for me than I am.

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:47:46 PM

I have no problem with them offering advice based on their beliefs when asked. I have a problem with them coming to my door and trying to change me from my own views because they think they're better at judging what's best for me than I am.

The analogy would be that I know that there is an ax-murderer hiding in your bathroom ready to lop your head off when you go off to do whatever it you females call urinating and you do not know that. Not only do you not know that you are a sensible person and you have no good reason to believe that there is an ax murderer in the bathroom, things like that do not happen and to be honest I am being really really creepy by saying this. Now, in that situation, what is my moral obligation? Send the police to your house? Kidnap you before you need to wee? Watch you get kebabbed and sliced by Jason from Friday the 13th?

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 04:35:37 PM

I don't know I mean for one the former person wouldn't be much fun to hang around.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

The analogy would be that I know that there is an ax-murderer hiding in your bathroom ready to lop your head off when you go off to do whatever it you females call urinating and you do not know that. Not only do you not know that you are a sensible person and you have no good reason to believe that there is an ax murderer in the bathroom, things like that do not happen and to be honest I am being really really creepy by saying this. Now, in that situation, what is my moral obligation? Send the police to your house? Kidnap you before you need to wee? Watch you get kebabbed and sliced by Jason from Friday the 13th?

You've been taking lessons from Marti, haven't you.

Meri and the Mormons are talking about religious beliefs*, whereas your 'scenario' describes extremely unlikely, but real happenings; thinks apples and claymore mines. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:52:04 PM

Warn me, then let me decide for myself how I respond to that warning. It's called free-will for a reason.

mongers

My primary objection to them and Jehovah Witnesses is a practical one, I've not yet got one to give me their home address, so I can go and knock on their door at a random inconvenient time.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

You've been taking lessons from Marti, haven't you.

Meri and the Mormons are talking about religious beliefs*, whereas your 'scenario' describes extremely unlikely, but real happenings; thinks apples and claymore mines.

I think his point is that if believe someone to be in danger, you really have a moral obligation to warn them don't you?  Do something to prevent them being harmed?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Why is you think you know what's best for you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017