If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 04:44:55 AM
Yeah except that the problem is that the reasoning leading to the discardment of Mormonism should also lead to the discard of Christianity in general.
What reasoning leads to the discardment of Mormonism?  Isn't it more often positive belief in another faith that leads to the abandonment of Mormonism?
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

It is common to critisize/ridicule Mormonism for the outlandish claims it makes in its holy book.

But I fail to see how somebody can consider those claims impossible, while subscribing to the claims made in the Bible.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 04:44:55 AM
Yeah except that the problem is that the reasoning leading to the discardment of Mormonism should also lead to the discard of Christianity in general.

:blink:

Jesus warned against false prophets, pretty sure he wasn't including himself.

I actually thought you were asking the non-religious folks why we made more fun of Mormons than Christians, if you're asking the Christians why they aren't Mormon that is pretty silly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 04:51:26 AM
It is common to critisize/ridicule Mormonism for the outlandish claims it makes in its holy book.

But I fail to see how somebody can consider those claims impossible, while subscribing to the claims made in the Bible.
Yeah.  But they're laughing at the outlandishness (not the impossibility) of Jesus visiting America or everyone getting a planet - because they're outlandish and funny and 19th century.  Noone's saying 'these things are ridiculous therefore I can not be Mormon'.

As I say more often than not the reason Christians believe in the Bible but don't believe in the Book of Mormon is because they're Christian, not because the Mormons are silly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Then the failure lies with you.  Just because you believe in God doesn't mean you believe every street preacher you meet has a direct line to him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 25, 2012, 04:53:55 AM
I actually thought you were asking the non-religious folks why we made more fun of Mormons than Christians, if you're asking the Christians why they aren't Mormon that is pretty silly.
Yeah, I thought it was the first question too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

On a more sensible level headed note, if you want to see proper takedowns of how stupid the magical claims of each religion is is to watch the religions take each other down. Billy Graham just took Mormonism off his list of cults, presumably too keep the Evangelical Protestant out of the Oval Office.

Here is the Bananman's takedown of mormonism

Is the Book of Mormon also the Word of God

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on October 24, 2012, 09:57:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2012, 03:56:07 PM
Judaism: 3,000+ years old
Christianity: 2,000+ years old
Islam, PBUH: 1,200+ years old
Mormonism:  Invented a few weeks ago on the back of a cocktail napkin with the last two digits smeared by the condensation from a bottle of Rolling Rock nursed far too long while listening to Warrant's "Don't Know What You've Got" at 1:35am as you stare at yourself in the bar mirror wondering if the well-worn single mom barfly sitting next to you is really worth knowing where you live on a work night
What's the connection between this and the OP?

I enjoy bashing cults that were just invented.  Mormons are easier to pick on, because they're a collection of puppies.  Scientology, I'd have the IRS on my ass by now.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2012, 04:56:02 AM

Yeah.  But they're laughing at the outlandishness (not the impossibility) of Jesus visiting America or everyone getting a planet - because they're outlandish and funny and 19th century.  Noone's saying 'these things are ridiculous therefore I can not be Mormon'.

As I say more often than not the reason Christians believe in the Bible but don't believe in the Book of Mormon is because they're Christian, not because the Mormons are silly.

Right. Book of Genesis, horns crumbling walls, Moses separating the sea, Jesus walking on water etc. those are REAAAALY different than Jesus visiting America and people getting planets.
Srsly now.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 04:56:24 AM

Then the failure lies with you.  Just because you believe in God doesn't mean you believe every street preacher you meet has a direct line to him.

Sure. But what makes you differentiate?

CountDeMoney

The difference is, after 2000 years of scholarly doctrinal development, through the Christological and Trinitarian controversies, Augustine and Aquinas, and through the Reformation, nobody short of retardo snake handlers and tongue-speakers actually take that stuff literally.  Mormons do.

Damn, you over-read, uber cynical Euro shrillbots go so overboard sometimes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 06:23:48 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 25, 2012, 04:56:24 AM

Sure. But what makes you differentiate?

What makes you differentiate between one goof ball political philosophy and another?  You are an atheist and a materialist.  How come you aren't a Marxist?  Or an Anarchist?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 06:30:16 AM
The difference is, after 2000 years of scholarly doctrinal development, through the Christological and Trinitarian controversies, Augustine and Aquinas, and through the Reformation, nobody short of retardo snake handlers and tongue-speakers actually take that stuff literally.  Mormons do.

I am sorry, but who gave YOU or anyone else for that matter, the right to decide what is meant to be taken literally in the holy books and what is not?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 06:45:22 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2012, 06:30:16 AM

I am sorry, but who gave YOU or anyone else for that matter, the right to decide what is meant to be taken literally in the holy books and what is not?

Who cares who gave them the right if people feel that way? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2012, 06:21:43 AM

Right. Book of Genesis, horns crumbling walls, Moses separating the sea, Jesus walking on water etc. those are REAAAALY different than Jesus visiting America and people getting planets.
Srsly now.
They are really different. None of them are funny. Pictures of Jesus meeting native Americans are far funnier. That's just an objective fact.

But I think you're still moving around the topic a lot. I don't get whether you mean Christians or anyone else when you're talking about people ridiculing Mormons.

On a personal note I'd add they've no redeeming vices. No booze, no smoking, no drugs, no caffeine...
Let's bomb Russia!