If you think Mormonism is retarded, why you think the Bible is any different?

Started by Tamas, October 24, 2012, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

You've been taking lessons from Marti, haven't you.

Meri and the Mormons are talking about religious beliefs*, whereas your 'scenario' describes extremely unlikely, but real happenings; thinks apples and claymore mines.

I think his point is that if believe someone to be in danger, you really have a moral obligation to warn them don't you?  Do something to prevent them being harmed?

Hint it's not a real danger, up until now no religious belief has been 'proven' so it's a fantasy danger, until proven otherwise.

When someone can show me a soul, then I'll believe it can be imperilled.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 06:06:06 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2012, 06:00:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

You've been taking lessons from Marti, haven't you.

Meri and the Mormons are talking about religious beliefs*, whereas your 'scenario' describes extremely unlikely, but real happenings; thinks apples and claymore mines.

I think his point is that if believe someone to be in danger, you really have a moral obligation to warn them don't you?  Do something to prevent them being harmed?

Hint it's not a real danger, up until now no religious belief has been 'proven' so it's a fantasy danger, until proven otherwise.

When someone can show me a soul, then I'll believe it can be imperilled.

Irrelvant.  All that is relevant is that you believe it's a danger.  If you believe someone is danger, then don't you have a moral obligation to do something about it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2012, 05:04:52 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 24, 2012, 04:52:04 PM
The analogy would be that I know that there is an ax-murderer hiding in your bathroom ready to lop your head off when you go off to do whatever it you females call urinating and you do not know that. Not only do you not know that you are a sensible person and you have no good reason to believe that there is an ax murderer in the bathroom, things like that do not happen and to be honest I am being really really creepy by saying this. Now, in that situation, what is my moral obligation? Send the police to your house? Kidnap you before you need to wee? Watch you get kebabbed and sliced by Jason from Friday the 13th?

Warn me, then let me decide for myself how I respond to that warning. It's called free-will for a reason.

... and that is precisely what the annoying Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses are doing when they knock on your door at an ungodly hour on saturday mornings.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

The reason why it's ok to mock Mormons around here is because we don't have any Mormon posters. :bowler:

If I may make a Martlike analogy: saying Mormonism is nuttier than Catholicism is like saying John Wayne Gacy is more evil than Charles Manson.  Past a certain point of ridiculousness, it really doesn't matter, does it?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 24, 2012, 06:57:30 PM
The reason why it's ok to mock Mormons around here is because we don't have any Mormon posters. :bowler:

Besides Psellus and Jaron, that is. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

If I may make a Martlike analogy: saying Mormonism is nuttier than Catholicism is like saying John Wayne Gacy is more evil than Charles Manson.  Past a certain point of ridiculousness, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Wrong.  It's more like saying some amateur retard with delusions of grandeur that can't cut straight with a box cutter to Charles Manson. 

Really wish you people would appreciate the concept of historic institutions.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

It's also seriously tacky.  Christianity and Judaism still inspires a great deal of Art-see Taverner, for instance-but Mormonism does nothing but inspire this-

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

The idea that LDS leaders still receive revelations makes it a bit unusual in comparison to most religions.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Yeah like that has stopped us before.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."